Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Any Clogging With the IPF5000?  (Read 2510 times)
John Hollenberg
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 770


« on: June 22, 2006, 09:28:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Michael,

Did you have to run any manual cleaning cycles on the IPF5000?  According to the article:

"There is the ability to manually run a cleaning cycle from the printer's front panel, or from its utility software. But, I am told that the need to do this is very unlikely. The reason being that the design of the iPF5000 is such that it constantly sense all 30,720 individual nozzles, and is able to know when a cleaning cycle is needed. Or, if needs be, the printer can bypass a clogged nozzle in the middle of making a print."

If this is true, every print coming out of the printer should be perfect, with no need to run cleaning cycles manually.  This would be a huge advantage for the Canon.  Were any of the prints you made marred by clogging and needing to be reprinted?

Thanks.

--John
Logged
michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4894



« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:27:01 AM »
ReplyReply

After about 50 odd 11X17" and 13X19" prints I have yet to see any clogging or need to do a manual head cleaning.

I have left the printer on for days, turned it off sometimes at night, and also left it on for 5 days continiously without printing, when I travelled to BC a couple of weeks ago.

According to Canon their head technology is quite different than Epson's, and so manual head cleanings are apprently not necessary.

We'll see. Ask me again in a few months.

Michael
Logged
John Hollenberg
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 770


« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 12:57:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote
After about 50 odd 11X17" and 13X19" prints I have yet to see any clogging or need to do a manual head cleaning.

According to Canon their head technology is quite different than Epson's, and so manual head cleanings are apparently not necessary.

Thanks.  This alone makes the printer worth a serious look.  

I had so much trouble with my Epson 9600 clogging, print head replaced under warranty, ink cartridge housing replaced under warranty, etc. that I eventually negotiated a full refund for the printer.  Really soured me on Epson as far as large format printers.  There is a poll I started on the Epson Wide Format group on Yahoo that suggests about 70% of people don't have much problem with clogging.  The other 30% of us weren't as lucky.  However, I have had few problems with the 13 inch models (2200 and now R2400).

--John
Logged
Gary Damaskos
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 125


« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
ReplyReply

I have left mine off for a day and a half (heart breaking it was not using it), and initializing seemed to be normal. So far (not scientific at all) it does not seem to clean itself all that much, and even after being off for that time, it printed the profiling targets just fine. I guess this means no early signs of clogging issues for a few users. Gary


Quote
Michael,

Did you have to run any manual cleaning cycles on the IPF5000?  According to the article:

"There is the ability to manually run a cleaning cycle from the printer's front panel, or from its utility software. But, I am told that the need to do this is very unlikely. The reason being that the design of the iPF5000 is such that it constantly sense all 30,720 individual nozzles, and is able to know when a cleaning cycle is needed. Or, if needs be, the printer can bypass a clogged nozzle in the middle of making a print."

If this is true, every print coming out of the printer should be perfect, with no need to run cleaning cycles manually.  This would be a huge advantage for the Canon.  Were any of the prints you made marred by clogging and needing to be reprinted?

Thanks.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Logged
John Mason
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 10


« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:03:18 PM »
ReplyReply

I have not had a wasted print yet on my ipf5000.  I have left it on, turned it off, had power outages and not done any manual cleaning cycles yet.

This is my first larger printer.  My prior Epson 2000, 2200, and R1800 and from what I read of the larger epsons would every now and then clog during a long print.  (and I was printing roller 48 inch range pano's) I would also get an occasional diagonal ink goober line on the 2200 and 1800.

These headaches and their cost in time and money even though then didn't happen that often, the fact that they happened randomly and nothing I could do would prevent it was one of the primary reasons I opted for the ipf5000.

So far I have not had any type of problem whatsoever with the Canon.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad