Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Hahnemuhle profile  (Read 3551 times)
alexramsay

« on: September 15, 2006, 12:42:44 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm not happy with the 'own brand' profile for Hahnemuhle Photo Rag when used on my Epson 2100/2200 with the MK inks - it does horrible things to foliage in particular. I know I need to have a custom profile made (and I shall in due course), but in the meantime does anyone know of a good source for reasonably accurate profiles for this combination?

Thanks,
Alex

eeprete

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:42:49 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm not happy with the 'own brand' profile for Hahnemuhle Photo Rag when used on my Epson 2100/2200 with the MK inks - it does horrible things to foliage in particular. I know I need to have a custom profile made (and I shall in due course), but in the meantime does anyone know of a good source for reasonably accurate profiles for this combination?

Thanks,
Alex
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think Hahnemuhle profiles are spotty at best. It seems some papers the stock profiles work well, where other and they aren't as good. I know I had issues on my office R1800 and the sample pack I had ordered with the variety. I really liked the feel and weight of the Torchon paper, as well as the Photo Rag Duo. The German Etching is also nice. The William Turner that I was hoping would work well, I wasn't so pleased with the texture once printed.
budjames

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 03:22:48 AM »
ReplyReply

I had a 2200 and I got excellent results with H-papers, however, I used the Image Print RIP. Image Print has propietary profiles for just about all of the major papers for use with their RIP and the quality was always excellent.

I replaced my 2200 with the R2400 when it first was available. I printed on H-papers using their profile with okay results because it took about a year before Impage Print came out with v6.1 to work with the R2400. Now that I'm able to use the IP RIP and their profiles for H-Paper, the results are again spectacular.

IP is not cheap, about $500, but if you are serious about the best quality, even using Epson papers, it is worth it.

Bud James
North Wales, PA

Bud James
North Wales, PA
www.budjamesphotography.com
alanrew

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 07:00:42 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks,
Alex
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Firstly, getting any shadow detail on HM PR with the 2100/2200 is difficult, in my experience. The shadows block up quickly.

Secondly, I found that the HM PR profiles on their web site aren't very good.

Thirdly, for best shadow detail with HM PR when making my own profiles I found that the 'WC paper - radiant white' media setting in the driver gave the best results. This reduces colour gamut a bit but pays dividends in shadow detail. I also found it beneficial to use a large number of patches in the profiling target - Bill Atkinson's custom targets for the GretagMacbeth and Monaco systems
[a href=\"http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html]http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html[/url]

are very good. The 2366 patch target gave noticeable benefits over the standard 918 patch target. I ended up using a profile made with 3600 patches for HM PR.

So I'd suggest getting a custom profile made for this paper, preferably using a larger profile target than 918 patches.

FWIW I now own an Epson 2400 and this is significantly better on HM PR (although I still make my own profiles and use large patch sets!). It's a much easier printer to profile as well, because the 2400 driver is very linear in 'no color adjustment' mode.

HTH

Alan
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad