Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: M8  (Read 3174 times)
JJP

M8
« on: October 27, 2006, 05:43:54 AM »
ReplyReply

Good Day Folks,
Would you consider the M8 a camera that would fit in jacket or slack pocket?
Have never seen or held an "M" series camera,
jules

edited Oct 27
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 05:45:58 AM by JJP » Logged

JJ
plinden

M8
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 04:30:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Definately NOT a slack pocket. With a short lens, eg 35mm summicron, might fit a large sport coat patch pocket, but would bulge quite a bit and the all metal construction is heavy.

Peter Linden
Brian Gilkes

M8
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 04:52:58 PM »
ReplyReply

Jules,
Before you die you must hold an M Series Leica.
Like a Porche to a driver, it may not suit your work or your pocket, but it is something to be experienced.
It is not a camera to be placed in a pocket , even if it would fit, presumably wrapped in black silk.
You hold it..
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au
JJP

M8
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 06:53:14 PM »
ReplyReply

hi Brian,
Basically, I'm looking for a rugged high rez pocket camera who's images would be comparable to the 1Ds.......something that I can keep in my pocket during my day job or other instances when my main camera is "out of reach".
Cameras that don't have an optical viewfinder need not apply.
Cameras that don't have interchangeable lenses need not apply even though I probably won't be able to purchase more than one leica lens.
Cameras that don't have RAW capture need not apply.  
No problem with the 1.3 crop and so the m8 might be a suitable candidate.
jj

JJ
John Camp

M8
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 07:15:48 PM »
ReplyReply

The M8 is about the size of one of the bigger super-zoom point 'n shoots (roughly; I have a Canon Powershot Pro 1, and my Leica M7, which is a couple of millimeters thinner than the M8, is bigger than the Pro 1 when the Leica has a 50mm lens attached. I don't have a sport coat pocket that would take it. Or the Powershot, for that matter.

JC
JJP

M8
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 07:32:49 PM »
ReplyReply

hi John,
The image projected onto the sensor by 35mm lens would be cropped to 45.5 mm equivalent right?....which is pretty close to standard lens
And if lens protrudes to far out, I suppose I could tether the body cap to body and tether rear lens cap to lens and carry body and lens in different pockets.  Just thinking out loud,
Do you think the m8's will hold their value?...especially a couple years or so down the road after the next gen goes into production?...and what do you think a used m8 would sell for under those circumstances?
jj

edited Oct 27
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 08:51:45 PM by JJP » Logged

JJ
Gary Ferguson

M8
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Interesting question, the only high quality camera I've found that is genuinely "pocketable" is a Contax T3, a film camera with a fixed but collapsible 35mm lens. A Leica is just that bit too big even with the tiny lenses like the 35mm f2.0, there's a Leica 50mm f2.8 collapsible lens but I believe the M8's sensor prohibits collapsible lenses.

I've spent thirty years searching for that optimum balance of portability and quality, yet so far it's proving elusive!
glenerrolrd

M8
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »
ReplyReply

There is definately a market for a very high qulaity ..pocket sized...digital camera.   With film the M plus the 35 summicron..fit nicely in my briefcase ..just wrap it in something and stuff it in a corner. Its too heavy being all metal to put in a jacket for everyday use.  The priority should be to have it with you ...always..I missed too many great shots because I didn t have the gear with me.  I use the leica d-lux 2 which is a great alternative 16:9 format shoots Raw ...has a good range...limitation it is way too noisey so no high ISO ..really hurts usefulness for night shoots.  You probably will not consider this but you should ...wife carries a Minolta Dimage  3 MP ..dumps it in her purse no care at all ..4 years of flawless use ..high quality Jpegs are amazingly good..  She always has it . Small light   will fit in a jacket.
JJP

M8
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 06:37:49 AM »
ReplyReply

There is definately a market for a very high qulaity ..pocket sized...digital camera.
Hello Canon.....Hello....Hello Canon.....Hello....are we listening?....the "door" is wide open and oportunity is knocking!
jules

JJ
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad