Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: A Rainy Afternoon In Trier  (Read 3708 times)
Jonathan Wienke

« on: November 25, 2006, 07:48:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Here's an image I captured in Trier, Germany recently; constructive criticisms welcomed.

boku

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 07:57:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Here's an image I captured in Trier, Germany recently; constructive criticisms welcomed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Johnathan,

The sky looks very rich - don't change a thing. On the village, have you tried a bit of curves to bring up the low tone just a bit to show more detail?

Another thing I would experiment with is perspective control. Plumbing up the verticals might be an intriguing concept. Certainly your 1Ds image has enough pixel to support such manipulation. Just a thought, worth a try?

I think the tint (assuming there is one) suits the material perfectly. Again, very rich and Teutonic.

On a totally unrelated note - how have you been? I sure hope you found that the military is suiting you and delivering the intended returns you were seeking.

Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...
Play it Straight and Play it True, my Brother.
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 10:24:46 AM »
ReplyReply

I would also like to see a bit more detail in the shadows, but please keep the sky as is.

The tonalities remind me of prints I used to make in the "wet" darkroom that looked great in the fixer, but dried down, losing shadow detail. I think the shadows can go lighter without losing the rich sense of mystery.

<End Criticism -- Begin Useless Ego Stroking> I like the picture.  

-Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
john beardsworth

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »
ReplyReply

The current picture is very bottom heavy, and you lose the lead in line to the church on the right. Lift the landscape with a curve gently brightening its midtones and shadows. Then add a second curve with a graduated mask, darkening the sky. You need to radically darken the sky's highlights - the bright qtr tones should output below half tones, so you have a really steep incline into the highlights. I tried this earlier but only posted after seeing two "leave the sky alone" posts - make more of the sky.

John

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »
ReplyReply

I made some curve adjustment layers for the sky and buildings, and darkened the the sky a little and lightened up the ground and buildings.

john beardsworth

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 02:26:34 PM »
ReplyReply

And that's remarkably similar to my version. I also tweaked the perspective.

John
[attachment=1220:attachment]

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:06:13 PM »
ReplyReply

<End Criticism -- Begin Useless Ego Stroking> I like the picture. 

Hey, at least you offered some non-useless feedback to go with the ego-stroking, so I'll let it slide this time...

Morgan_Moore

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »
ReplyReply

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 01:12:07 PM by Morgan_Moore » Logged

Sam Morgan Moore Cornwall
www.sammorganmoore.com -photography
Bobtrips

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 02:09:12 PM »
ReplyReply

I made some curve adjustment layers for the sky and buildings, and darkened the the sky a little and lightened up the ground and buildings.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lightening the city helps.  Increases the details.

There are a couple of bright spots that capture my eye without reason.  I'd tone them down a bit - awing center right and sign(?) lower just right of center.

And it looks like you might have a slight sharpening halo along the city/sky boundary.
Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »
ReplyReply

And it looks like you might have a slight sharpening halo along the city/sky boundary.

The sharpening halo is actually more of an I-need-to-blend-the sky-and-ground-adjustment-layer-transition-better thing; sort of like doing HDR blending and making it look natural.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad