Well, here is my saga so far trying to get my roll feed holder fixed:
1) Tech comes out, sees that no paper will feed from top tray when roll feed holder is installed. He can't find anything wrong, it just doesn't work. If roll feed unit is removed and regular top tray attachment is put back on, works fine.
2) Tech has to ask Canon what to do. I am supposed to hear back by Tuesday of following week (it was Friday).
3) Call Canon Wednesday. They can see I have an open ticket, but don't know anything about it. They promise the tech support company will call.
4) No response. Call Canon Thursday AM. They tell me that if company doesn't call within the hour to call them back. Company calls, states that parts have been ordered and fortunately parts aren't back ordered. I point out that parts should be received by them Thursday (next business day), so they can come out Friday AM. Guy hems and haws, then says the tech "can't fit Friday into his schedule" and will come out the following Friday to replace the parts.
5) Friday AM (today) I call Canon to complain about the lousy support and the fact the service company has not denied that they have the parts, but "won't be able to get to it". Later in the morning, the tech support company rep calls and apologizes. He informs me that the needed parts are on back order for 4 weeks!!!
6) I call Canon back and point out that the roll feed holder was defective from the day I bought it (due to either a design defect or manufacturing problem) and request that Canon send me a replacement roll feed unit as I am not willing to wait for 4 weeks. The Canon tech politely tells me that Canon won't do that.
7) I ask to speak to a supervisor and point out how unreasonable their position is, and that taking such a position will be very bad for their business in the long term. The supervisor asks what parts need to be replaced. I tell him that the service tech didn't know what to do and had to ask Canon how to proceed. If they don't know what they told the service tech to order, I can't help them :-) The supervisor says he has to research the problem.
Less than 5 minutes later the same Canon support tech who told me that Canon won't replace the roll feed unit calls back. He is sending out a replacement for my defective roll feed unit--which is what the service tech was recommending to them! I expect to get the replacement roll feed unit next week.
Summary: a tremendous amount of hassle to get service on a defective part, but ultimately successful.
Comment: very concerning that parts are back-ordered 4 weeks. This suggests a serious problem with supply, or perhaps a re-design of some parts as there have been multiple reports on the Wiki of this problem. Is Canon prepared to service their printers "next business day" or is it "next business month???