Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: What B&W Papers are out there?  (Read 12434 times)
pflower

« on: March 05, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »
ReplyReply

I live in the UK.  I will admit to a terrible infidelity by spending the last 5 years out of the darkroom and in front of the computer.  This may have contributed to the dearth of papers on the market.  But now I want to go back into my darkroom.  But where are the papers? What is left?  Kodak appears to have gone.  Agfa has gone.  Silverprint no longer stocks my favourite paper - Oriental Seagull.  What is left?

Are there any really good neutral or cold b&w papers available out there?  Or is it all Ilford and RC?

What does anyone use?
image66

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:25:27 PM »
ReplyReply

You really can't go wrong with Ilford papers.  I would recommend not using Multigrade developer, though, as it's hard to get an over-the-top max-black with it.  I've personally found that the Perfecta paper/developer combination is quite good, but not readily available.

Given your location, I'd just stick with Ilford.  Honestly, it's good stuff.  There is a user-forum over at ilford.com which is quite helpful too.  The best part of using Ilford is the consistancy between different surface-types.  An exposure that works on one paper will almost always work on another without having to reinvent the wheel.

Also, Ilford's pearl-surfaced RC paper is most-excellent and capable of giving fiber-glossy a run for its money.  For those who hand-tint photographs, the RC-pearl is now the preferred paper.
qball

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:31:06 PM »
ReplyReply

I live in the UK.  I will admit to a terrible infidelity by spending the last 5 years out of the darkroom and in front of the computer.  This may have contributed to the dearth of papers on the market.  But now I want to go back into my darkroom.  But where are the papers? What is left?  Kodak appears to have gone.  Agfa has gone.  Silverprint no longer stocks my favourite paper - Oriental Seagull.  What is left?

Are there any really good neutral or cold b&w papers available out there?  Or is it all Ilford and RC?

What does anyone use?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Silverprint carries Forte, tis the only paper I use.  The FB poly warm tone is splendid! - Enjoy
Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:16:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Silverprint carries Forte, tis the only paper I use.  The FB poly warm tone is splendid! - Enjoy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I remember using only white, smooth glossy (WSG) as single weight or double weight by Kodak (mainly) or Ilford, which was always a semi-grade softer, making that horrid all-grades-in-one stuff totally unnecessary. Much as with the introduction of resin coated, it was more to do with simplification of production lines (choices? why?) Iīd suspect, than anything else. Letīs face it, if you can print and know how to expose/develop film properly, then you donīt really need more than two grades of material at the best of times.

With respect of the WSG: I used to hate matt paper in the wet, but I just love it in digital guise, possibly because it is easier to understand how it will look dry than it did as wet; also, there was no commercial demand for it (matt) in my particular scene. Now, being my own best client, I can do as I wish (if it doesnīt cost much) and the digital matt under glass is just fantastic.

However, my retiral from the darkroom was more logistics-based than anything else and I would probably still enjoy producing a nice print of something interesting. But, thatīs all in the past and part of very fond memory.

Cheers - Rob C

gr82bart

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:30:32 PM »
ReplyReply

What is left?
Agfa, Arista, Bergger, Cachet/Maco, Emaks/Fotokemika, Foma, Forte, Fotospeed, Ilford, Kentmere, Oriental, and Slavich. Lots of paper still out there.

Regards, Art.

Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com or my online portfolios at APUG and Model Mayhem
bode2006

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:36:01 PM »
ReplyReply

I've just realised the date on this thread, but the information is still valid.

The German brand Adox have recently released a range of new FB and RC papers amost identical to the old Agfa papers. Foma also have a wide range of papers and are still releasing new papers. There are also plans to re-release the Forte papers.

Currently, the black and white paper market is in a healthy state.

ChrisJR

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: bode2006
I've just realised the date on this thread, but the information is still valid.

The German brand Adox have recently released a range of new FB and RC papers amost identical to the old Agfa papers. Foma also have a wide range of papers and are still releasing new papers. There are also plans to re-release the Forte papers.

Currently, the black and white paper market is in a healthy state.
Kentmere make some really nice black and white papers in various guises. I used them a lot during my degree programme with beautiful results.

Silverprint in London offers some of the best advice in the UK on papers.
joneil

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:29:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Ilfrod Galerie, the fibre based & individually graded paper is till, IMO, one of the best out there.   Other papers are easier and quicker to work with, but I like Galerie the best.

dudler

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:02:48 AM »
ReplyReply

It will be interesting to see what effect the Ilford takeover of Kentmere has on the market...

Still, it's nice to have a British company dominating a market, after Agfa's demise, and Kodak's desertion of traditional B/W.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad