Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Sunset at Arches  (Read 3101 times)
dobson

« on: March 25, 2007, 02:11:38 PM »
ReplyReply

Here are two photos taken recently in Arches National Park. While they are of the same subject and direction, the framing is quite different. I would like to hear opinions on which one people prefer and why. Any thoughts an how to improve them would also be appreciated.

[attachment=2170:attachment]

[attachment=2171:attachment]

Phillip
wolfnowl

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »
ReplyReply

I'd go with the first one.  The second one leaves too much blank negative space in the bottom for my taste.  I also like the last vestiges of the sun and the clouds on the right better in the first image.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
Sr.Cordeiro

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:23:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello,

I prefer the second one. The difference in scales and proportions make the pomposition more interesting. The first one is too much flat on my opinion. I also like the brighter area on the second one, i adds a sense of tonal depth and make a contrast with the dark areas.
dobson

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 03:25:05 PM »
ReplyReply

I thank both of you for your advice. I took your comments into mind and reprocessed the photo. I'm still not sure about the cropping, but I prefer this to the previous version.

[attachment=2200:attachment]

I brought out detail in the shadows and adjusted the crop a bit in this version.

Phillip
popnfresh
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I thank both of you for your advice. I took your comments into mind and reprocessed the photo. I'm still not sure about the cropping, but I prefer this to the previous version.

I brought out detail in the shadows and adjusted the crop a bit in this version.

Phillip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think this is an improvement.

I'd crop out a bit of the ground below the tree to tighten up the composition and I think you're there.
robertvine

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 07:38:42 AM »
ReplyReply

Phillip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, this is the better one. The closer crop is a lot stronger, I find the best feautre to be the inclusion of a similar tree in the background. So subtle in telling the viewer that there were many of these trees around.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad