PTGui vs Autopano Pro vs PTAssembler

<< < (16/20) > >>

naisan:
My own tests proved to me that the PTGui app is the most solid one out there. I've used it extensively on very large (say 50 images x 10MP TIFF files @16-bit throughout) stitches on XP x64 and vista x64 without any issues.

Then I started using the SmartBlend Plugin, and that eliminated parallax as well!

If you haven't downloaded & enabled that plug-in for blending, you have no idea how powerful PTGui can be.

I posted on another l-l thread about this.

I believe that PTGui allows you to use AutoPano for control points, as well as many other options that very materially affect control points and blending.

Ray:

Then I started using the SmartBlend Plugin, and that eliminated parallax as well!

If you haven't downloaded & enabled that plug-in for blending, you have no idea how powerful PTGui can be.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Autopano Pro already includes Smartblend. This issue should not be about supporting your favourite program but finding out in an objective manner which is best for your needs. That's been my approach.

The only demonstration in this thread so far, that PTGui might be better than Autopano in its ability to stitch images that Autopano can't, is Christopher's comparison shots early in the thread.

However Christopher was a bit vague when asked what settings he used in Autopano. He said he used 'normal' settings. I see no settings described as 'normal' in Autopano, but there is the occasional use of the word 'standard' which I suppose is what Christopher means, and for all I know, maybe some of the settings he used were at their original default level which appears to trade off quality for speed.

My concern with these programs is focussed on automatic capability first. I already have a program that does quite well in time-consuming manual mode (Panavue's IA) but when it comes to automatic stitching there's no contest between IA and Autopano. When I find some images (taken for stitching purposes) that Autopano can't stitch properly, automatically, then I'll start exploring the manual options.

It could well be that with really difficult images, PTGui is better than Autopano. However, after emailing my 4x 15mm handheld shots of Nepal to Chris-T, each reduced in size to 5MB which is not exactly low resolution, Chris failed to do a stitch using PTGui that is as perfect as Autopano produced for me in fully automatic mode. So, what conclusions can I arrive at?

If someone would care to post here what prior settings and adjustments should be made in PTGui for best automatic results, I'll give PTGui another try   .

BernardLanguillier:

Autopano Pro already includes Smartblend. This issue should not be about supporting your favourite program but finding out in an objective manner which is best for your needs. That's been my approach.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Personnally, I think that the goal is to find what is good enough for your needs using a reasonnable amount of time.

If you get perfect stitches from Autopano pro, why keeping looking around for something better?

The key in all these activities is to find the peak of ROI.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ray:

Personnally, I think that the goal is to find what is good enough for your needs using a reasonnable amount of time.

If you get perfect stitches from Autopano pro, why keeping looking around for something better?

The key in all these activities is to find the peak of ROI.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why do I keep looking around? Aren't we all looking around for better performing products at a better price that meet our 'needs'?? I just deleted my previous post on this thread because I realised I'd got myself into a contradiction of terminology; ie. 'needs'.

As consumers in a developed country, are we really operating on the level of 'needs', or is it more accurate to use the term 'wants'?

This purpose of this thread, I suggest, is to determine the weak points and strong points of 3 similar programs, Autopano, PTGui and PTA, in oder that the reader (consumer) can make an informed decision when purchasing.

If one program is stronger on automatic functions but another stronger in respect of manual flexibility and controls, then that is useful information. I'd like to know that.

I've actually bought Autopano Pro on the basis that it can stitch images automatically in a more accurate manner than CS3 Photomerge and Panavue's Image Assembler.

I don't actually know if I've made the 'best' decision. There might be someone out there who realises that PTGui can do everything in auto mode that Autopano can do, and more, but are keeping the settings and adjustments, for this to happen, a secret.

BernardLanguillier:

Why do I keep looking around? Aren't we all looking around for better performing products at a better price that meet our 'needs'?? I just deleted my previous post on this thread because I realised I'd got myself into a contradiction of terminology; ie. 'needs'.

As consumers in a developed country, are we really operating on the level of 'needs', or is it more accurate to use the term 'wants'?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, we are not all always looking for something better on every detail of the process.

I am looking for ways to optimize the quality of my images as a whole, some others might be looking at ways to make more money with their images.

If my pano software meets 99% of my needs while my below par physical conditions makes me arrive late on top of mountains for the sunrise, then I'd rather spend time in the gym instead of looking for ways to gain 1% on a process that basically already works.

As far as "needs" vs "wants", well that is indeed exactly my point. If global performance enhancement is the goal, then the key is to focus on what "needs" to be improved.

Pano packages are dirt cheap, nothing prevents you from buying 2 or 3 and to check alternatives when your main solutions doesn't work on a particular case.

A lot of people here believe that Pgui is the best, your test indicates that Autopano pro is even better. More power to you, your selection of tool might be giving you an edge compared to the competition.

Cheers,
Bernard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page