Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Z3100 79:04  (Read 6730 times)
georgek

« on: August 25, 2007, 03:28:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi all,

Suddenly my printer started giving me a 79:04 every time I try to send something to print. I've printed the event log and it says
Error code: 79:04
Internal code: 1090584577
Line: server.cpp:3437

It's a 44" Z3100ps GP connected to a Belkin gigabit switch. I've uninstalled and installed the drivers on my iMac even tried connecting the printer through USB, same error every time. Internal prints are printing fine so I suspect something is wrong with either network or application.

It's a bank holiday here on Monday so I have to call HP on Tuesday. Every bit of help is welcome.

regards
George

garyfcampbell

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:55:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Did you try restarting the printer?  The Z3100 manual recommends that for error 79s, otherwise call customer support.
georgek

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:01:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Did you try restarting the printer?  The Z3100 manual recommends that for error 79s, otherwise call customer support.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Restarting the printer?? Several times... Customer support is days away...

garyfcampbell

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:21:29 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

Here is a thread from here much earlier that may help, it also has a response from HP customer support.  It sounds like a surge protector, firmware, or communications issue and you do have a gigabit switch, I wonder what happens if you back off to a 100mb switch.

For some reason this thread is hard to search for, I had to use Google to find it.

stevenhMay 7 2007, 01:43 PM
QUOTE(Panascape @ May 7 2007, 01:39 PM)
From what I can tell 79.04 is an error uploading the firmware file so the above may well apply and if this is the case uploading the firmware may work.

I had no problem uploading the firmware.

printing over ethernet from my windows XP pro laptop has been no problem either from PS2 or lightroom.

but, printing from my windows 2000 workstation has been a battle. worked for a while. but now I get a 79-04 error in ps2. sending a test print from the windows 2000 printer window works fine. i have removed it from usb and am connecting via ethernet on both machines instead.

btw i found that the hp utilities when loaded from the cdrom didn't work on my machines. even with updating. when i got rid of them and then uploaded directly from the HP site and installed those they run fine.

below is an answer via email from hp. the email came very quickly.

"Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

We understand that your Designjet Z3100PS displays a system error 79:04, and that cleaning the printhead and carriage contacts with a damp lint-free cloth has not corrected the issue.

Under normal circumstances, you should usually need to clean the printhead and carriage contacts only when you replace printheads or experience print quality or ink-related issues. However, ink buildup, dust paper fibers, or minor factory residue may occasionally interfere with carriage-printhead communication just enough to trigger this generic firmware error

If you regularly use highly fibrous uncoated paper types, if you regularly print borderless prints on glossy media, or if your environment is particularly dusty, you may need to clean the contacts once every few months.

Other possible causes of this error include communication, file or application issues, or driver, firmware, or hardware issues.

If the printer's power cord is plugged into a surge protector or UPS device, please plug the cord directly into a wall outlet for the duration of the troubleshooting process. Replace your surge protection device if the issue does not occur while the cord is plugged into the wall outlet.

Please disconnect the USB cable and print an internal test page from the printer's front panel. If the error occurs again, your issue may be related to firmware or hardware. If the printer test page is printed correctly, the issue is more likely to be related to communication or software.

Please use a damp lint-free cloth to wipe away any dust or ink buildup in the front of the printer, where your pages are printed and cut, if the error occurs on an internal print.

To test for communication or software issues, please reconnect the USB cable, after verifying that it is no greater than 15 feet in length. Send a Windows test page from the driver Properties, followed by files from several different software applications.

A failed test page indicates a possible communication or driver issue. Please remove and reinstall the driver, and replace the USB cable with a known-working cable from another printer or computer. On the other hand, if the error occurs when using a particular application or when printing a specific file, please check your application settings and re-save the file.

If the issue persists, we would suggest you contact HPs Customer Care phone center in order to perform any additional troubleshooting, and if needed to determine what repair options are available for your printer. You can reach HPs Customer Care center by calling 1-800-474-6836 (Mon-Fri, 6am to 6pm MST).

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

NOTE: Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. Problems and solutions may depend on the nature of your system environment and various other parameters that are unknown to HP; therefore, HP cannot assume any responsibility or liability. Please be advised that technical information changes as new data becomes available, therefore, HP recommends that you check back at our technical support web site located at http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html regularly for possible updates. Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information."

Charlie BMay 8 2007, 05:30 AM
QUOTE(Panascape @ May 7 2007, 02:39 PM)
Charlie B had the same error you get a while ago. I am not sure how he fixed it. I do know I get strange errors when I have tried to download a firmware file which was a .zip that was renamed .fmw.

Remaning the file to .zip allowed me to unzip it. Also have had a .exe renamed to something else.

From what I can tell 79.04 is an error uploading the firmware file so the above may well apply and if this is the case uploading the firmware may work.

Sorry not to get in on this thread earlier. Have been out of town. I did have similar problem. Tried an old G4 Mac laptop and got it to work on USB when my G5 Mac couldn't do the update without same error message. Have since switched to ethernet on G5 and the last firmware update worked finel The printer seems to be finicky about USB connections. I, also, talked to HP support by phone and got good support from them day and night.

Charlie
CharlesuMay 8 2007, 05:53 PM
QUOTE(Charlie B @ May 8 2007, 12:30 PM)
Sorry not to get in on this thread earlier. Have been out of town. I did have similar problem. Tried an old G4 Mac laptop and got it to work on USB when my G5 Mac couldn't do the update without same error message. Have since switched to ethernet on G5 and the last firmware update worked finel The printer seems to be finicky about USB connections. I, also, talked to HP support by phone and got good support from them day and night.

Charlie

I eventually got my firmware update to go via USB from another computer.

However, due to the other serious issues I have been having I switched to ethernet to rule out USB as an issue. I was told by HP to redo the upgrade via ethernet and it went very smoothly (twice) and fairly quickly.
Charlie BMay 9 2007, 03:15 PM
QUOTE(Charlesu @ May 8 2007, 08:53 PM)
I eventually got my firmware update to go via USB from another computer.

However, due to the other serious issues I have been having I switched to ethernet to rule out USB as an issue.  I was told by HP to redo the upgrade via ethernet and it went very smoothly (twice) and fairly quickly.

Someone else on this forum had encouraged me to change to ethernet. It made a big improvement when I finally made the change.

Charlie
georgek

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Charlie, I'm aware of this thread. Thanks.

Panascape

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »
ReplyReply

I have had this error twice, both times when I left my driver set to printer managed colour.

As far as I can tell this is an error with the printers colour profiles.
georgek

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 04:00:44 PM »
ReplyReply

I have had this error twice, both times when I left my driver set to printer managed colour.

As far as I can tell this is an error with the printers colour profiles.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It makes sense. It mostly happens when I try to print black and white setting the printer to manage colour. What can I do?

georgek

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »
ReplyReply

The engineer came today and changed the formatter and main logic. Now everything is alright.

While the engineer was at my studio something else came up that he wasn't so sure about. When I set the time on the printer, from either the display panel or my iMac, and the printer restarts the time shifts 8 hours forward. In other words if I set the time to 2.00pm GMT or Europe/London and the printer restarts it shows 10.00pm. So if I want to get the right time for London I have to set the time to Pacific -8. The engineer didn't know and he suggested a bug in the firmware.

Are any of you guys with a Z3100 having this problem?

Many thanks

Thomas Krger

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:54:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Got a 79-04 error when restarting the printer after uploading a media profile. The printer is connected via Ethernet, the last print 30 minutes before came out without problems.

Is there anything I can do apart from calling the HP support?

EDIT:
The formatter was changed from the HP service technician, and he also updated to the latest firmware v6.0.0.8. The printer is up and running again.

The error 79-04 came up when the printer (on WinXP) restarted after uploading the media profile Z3100_HP_Universal_Instant-dry_Semi-gloss_Photo_Paper_3.0.5.oms
to the Z3100 with the firmware v5.0.0.4.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:25:32 AM by ThomasK » Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad