Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Rebate on Canon Pro 9000 and 9500 - Opinions?  (Read 6917 times)
BradSmith

« on: November 22, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I've just noticed a rebate program from Canon on these two printers.  Purchase either one with a 5D and get $500 rebate, or with a 40D or XTi and get $200.  

I don't remember much about either of these printers and would appreciate your comments on the printers and the "deal".
thanks
Brad
meyerweb

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:10:25 PM »
ReplyReply

I've just noticed a rebate program from Canon on these two printers.  Purchase either one with a 5D and get $500 rebate, or with a 40D or XTi and get $200. 

I don't remember much about either of these printers and would appreciate your comments on the printers and the "deal".
thanks
Brad
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html]http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html[/url]

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interacti...500/page_1.html

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interacti...000/page-1.html

HTH,

Bob
Josh-H

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 03:37:17 AM »
ReplyReply

I own and use a Pro 9500 and can HIGHLY reccomend it.

It uses the same pigment inks as the Canon 5000 - just 10 instead of 12.

Very happy with the results.

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Bob,
Thanks very much for the links.  Reviews seem thorough and are very positivie.  I've looked around a little trying to find longevity ratings for the dye inks but haven't seen anything.  Do you have any sense of this?  

The price for the 9000 at my local pro store here in Los Angeles is $420 and the rebate is $500 on it when a 5D is purchased.  And I've been seriously thinking about getting a 5D.  

5D body is $2400, or I can get the 5D and the 9000 for $2820 - $500 = $2320  ?!??!!
AaronPhotog

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »
ReplyReply

Skeedracer,

Check this webpage; http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

Scroll about a quarter of the way down and look for the short article next to the right margin about their preliminary tests of the Canon 9000 inks.  Looks good so far.

Aloha,
Aaron

Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu
haefnerphoto

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
ReplyReply

I'd be interested in knowing the results of any tests concerning the 9000.  I had a look at the link and it seems to me that the results Wilhelm stated were for the 9500 (a pigment ink printer).  The Canon announcement is pretty vague, it doesn't really address print longevity for the 9000.  Jim

meyerweb

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 09:05:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, but I'm not all that familiar with the 9000.  I just bought a 9500 (and seriously considered buying the 5D even though I don't really need it). I've only done a little bit of printing with it, but so far I'm quite impressed.
AndyF2

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 10:03:29 PM »
ReplyReply

I'd be interested in knowing the results of any tests concerning the 9000.  I had a look at the link and it seems to me that the results Wilhelm stated were for the 9500 (a pigment ink printer).  The Canon announcement is pretty vague, it doesn't really address print longevity for the 9000.  Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The 9000 seems to use ChromaLife inks; my 9900 uses what I think is one generation earlier, the dye BCI-6 inks.  Canon states these will not show noticeable fading when printed on Canon Photo Paper Pro and framed behind glass for 25 years (see the PhotoPaperPro product page on Canon's website).  I assume they also exclude frequent sunlight across the framed print.  
Ilford says their Galerie papers, with Canon dye inks, behind glass, will be "comparable to photographic prints" but didn't give me any specific numbers.  It's probably too hard to characterize a reasonably general exhibition environment, so that makes it not possible to publish harder numbers.
However I am quite happy with the colour capabilities of the printer.
Andy
BradSmith

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Skeedracer,

Check this webpage; http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

Scroll about a quarter of the way down and look for the short article next to the right margin about their preliminary tests of the Canon 9000 inks.  Looks good so far.

Aloha,
Aaron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Aaron.  I had seen that but it only reported prelim info for the pigment based inks from the 9500.  They say "testing in progress" for the dye based 9000.
Brad
BradSmith

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 02:35:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, but I'm not all that familiar with the 9000.  I just bought a 9500 (and seriously considered buying the 5D even though I don't really need it). I've only done a little bit of printing with it, but so far I'm quite impressed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I assume that this incentive that is so good on 5D shows that they are about to replace it.  The $2400 price for the body is already a price reduction from a year or so ago.  As I remember, wasn't the body about $2800 or so street price prior to the price cut?  And now this amounts to about another $350-400 price drop when you figure that is about what a Pro 9000 would cost today.  So that makes the effective price of a 5D just over $2,000.  
Brad
DarkPenguin
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »
ReplyReply

It is $2200 at B+H.
nhnus

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 03:21:55 PM »
ReplyReply

You must be EXTREMELY careful about the Canon rebates.  Expect to have your rebate denied even if you fulfill all of the required conditions.  It's critical that you duplicate everything that you submit.  You can also expect to have to submit the materials multiple times.  Often that's not enough.  I finally got my rebate after complaining directly to Canon, 6 months after my initial submission.

Check out this (and other similar) web site(s).

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-L...ns-Rebates.aspx

Mark
BobH

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

I use the Canon PP 9000. The inks are dye rather than pigment, and are not tested yet on the Wilhelm page. Canon claims 25-100 year life depending on storage options. They also have a bit different testing method that seems to be a bit more rigorous than Wilhelm's method.

I opted for the 9000 based on availability of inks. The 8 series is quite widespread around Toronto. The 9500 inks are available only at a few places and are stocked less frequently. If you have a good 'pro' shop nearby the 9500 will be a good option.

The dye based inks are claimed to have a wider gamut than the pigment inks. Whether this is real remains to be seen.

Paper profiles are available for Canon papers including their art papers, Ilford from their web site, and a few others. The printers are still new enough to not have wide exposure to third party papers (eg Hahnemulhe).

The 9500 has a separate gray for B&W printing. I have found the 9000 does ok when you select gray scale in the printer driver. I use the Canon driver for Photoshop and DPP exclusively and don't print directly from Lightroom.

There may be independent rips available for the 9500. Both the 9000 and 9500 have 16 bit drivers for Windows Vista/OSX 10.5.

The 9000 is much faster and quieter than my old Epson.

Enjoy either.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad