I think this thread has gone waaaay off topic by now.
Thomas, my 2cents on this is:
- If I had been the one who owned the Contax 645 + P25, I would consider it to have been a *major* mistake to have sold it. Sorry.
- To my mind, if I had the choice in front of me, between the Contax 645 + P25 versus the 1Ds MkIII, I'd go for the Contax+P25. No doubt. Even now. What am I shooting? A Bronica SQ-Ai/SQ-B body with an Hasselblad Ixpress V96C, mostly due to affordability. Would I keep this even if I were offered a 1Ds MkIII? Yes, I would stick with the V96C, but that's just me. I'd like to upgrade to a 132C one day or something similar, but I'm not in a hurry.
- I personally, don't see any fundamental benefit to me in all that frames per second, weather sealed body, etc.
But this is my opinion. Ultimately you've got to figure out what you need and what will help you produce the sort of pictures you want to produce. If you think that you'll still have that hankering to go medium format digital even after you get that "interim" 1Ds, then it rather seems like it was a waste of money. If you are in a location where you can go and try out medium format digital gear, I'd say just go and try it. If you get that, "Oh, this is exactly what it's all about!" feeling about it, then don't waste time, don't waste money, go medium format digital. No intermediate stops in between.
That's what I think.
I am facing the problem, which has been discussed in great depth. BUT... i still can't find an answer. I have been shooting film until 2003, first on a contax 645, then on the H1 and had to move to digital in 2004. Sold all my MF gear and got myself 2 canons 5Ds and all the necessary primes. So far everything went fine. Now that canon has released its ds MKIII I would very much like to upgrade. But in which direction?
I would love to shoot MF again: the image quality, the bigger viewfinder etc.
But I also love the convenience of my canon gear, although the lenses beneath 50mm ar really bad.
So whats an (affordable) option?
- refurb P1 with a Mamiya 645
- wait for the new P1-Mamiya camera
- leaf aptus 22 with mamiya/contax/H2
or just go for the MKIII in the meantime?
will the MkIII be a real noticable step from the 5D in image quality?
i went to calumet the other day and had a look at the new hy6. lovely camera, but way to expensive and who knows if rollei is going to stay in business?
Sorry if I ask the same questions like so many others before, but it is really a difficult one.
With a lot of money involved.
thank you for any help or links