Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Camera Calibration?  (Read 5938 times)
Wayne194

« on: April 24, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »
ReplyReply

When photographing the color checker, should I use auto white balance or set the camera to sunshine if outside or flour. if inside with flour. lighting?
I used auto for the first calibration and the results are really better.

Thanks
Wayne
Frank Doorhof

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,
Use RAW files and set the whitebalance with the graypatch on the colorchecker.
Wayne194

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Frank,

That is exactly what I did.

Wayne
sojournerphoto

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
ReplyReply

When photographing the color checker, should I use auto white balance or set the camera to sunshine if outside or flour. if inside with flour. lighting?
I used auto for the first calibration and the results are really better.

Thanks
Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just a thought, but you might get better results using sunlight than flourescent - the spectrums is a lot cleaner, making the wb easier to get right and more meaningful

Mike
Frank Doorhof

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:31:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Mike,
When you shoot RAW (what you should) the setting of WB is not important (unless you want the preview on your LCD to be correct).
sojournerphoto

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:13:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Mike,
When you shoot RAW (what you should) the setting of WB is not important (unless you want the preview on your LCD to be correct).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191790\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Frank

Yes, I appreciate this. I was just thinking aloud that when shooting the colour checker (unless you are recalibrating for each shoot - which may be useful for your workflow, but isn't my approach) it is probably worthwhile trying to maximise the data in each colour channel. Fluorescents usually have a spike in the green part of the spectrum requiring that the green channel is pulled down during rendering. In terms of exposure this means the r and b channels will get relatively less exposure if the green isn't to be clipped, and so have less data to work with.

Simon Tindeman's script allows a starting estimate of D50 or D65 for WB, and I think the suppporting documentation suggests that these are preferred unless you do a lot of shooting in other conditions.

Cheers

Mike
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad