Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Sinar Hy6 Camera  (Read 3394 times)
thsinar

« on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
ReplyReply

Sinar is pleased to announce that a tool to update the firmware of the Sinar Hy6 is now available.

Registered users can download the Sinar Hy6 Firmware Updater from the Sinar website free of charge (www.sinarcameras.com <http://www.sinarcameras.com/> : Downloads / Software).

The firmware updater allows to easily install the latest firmware – version 2.09 – onto the user's Sinar Hy6. Cameras currently featuring firmware version 2.05 and higher can be updated.

With firmware version 2.09 some new features are introduced and several bugs of earlier versions are fixed. The most important improvements are the following:

– The Sinar Hy6 now supports also multi-shot captures.

– The user can assign some of the functions to one dedicated soft-key.

– The operation of the control wheels on the camera's grip can be locked by one push of a button.

– Aperture values of lenses with manual focus and a maximum aperture not corresponding to a full EV (e.g. f3.5) are now read correctly.

Please note that to perform the firmware update currently a USB-cable (Type A/mini-AB) is required. Later on, it is planned to perform the update through the firewire cable of the attached Sinarback.

The Sinar Hy6 Firmware Updater is currently available for Apple Macintosh computer. In a few weeks a version for Windows PC will also be available.

More detailed information about all the improvements included in firmware version 2.09 can be found in the respective ReadMe file.

Best regards,
Thierry

[attachment=6311:attachment]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:49:20 AM by thsinar » Logged

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
rljones

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Thierry,

the readme file for the updater says that this software will now only support Sinar V290 batteries, not Varta.

I am now not so certain I wish to upgrade software: otherwise, I must buy many new batteries. This would be a very expensive 'free' software upgrade!

Is this the situation: upgrade and go buy new batteries??
rainer_v

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »
ReplyReply

i cant imagine that the sinar v290 is another thing than the varta v290 battery.

rainer viertlböck
architecture photographer
munich / germany

www.tangential.de
rljones

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
ReplyReply

My hy6 only came with Varta V290 batteries. The odd thing is that these are all knock-offs of what I was told was original Sony design NP-F330. Sinar branded batteries are not inexpensive.

I will make some current measurements of the Varta and the NP-F330 later today. But since I have nothing officially marked 'Sinar' on a battery, I cannot compare. Hopefully Thierry can give us some hard data on this. I still won't upgrade software until I hear more details. From the wording, it suggests no other battery will work. So what they shipped with back/body are now 'not supported'??

Below is what is on the read-me files:

What is New ?
Version 2.09
• Only Sinar V290 batteries are supported (Varta V 290
batteries are no longer supported: exceeding current
can lead to a switch-off of the battery).

• Es werden nur noch Sinar V290 Akkus unterstützt
(Varta V290 Akkus werden nicht mehr unterstützt:
eine Überschreitung des Stromgrenzwertes kann zu
einer Abschaltung des Akkus führen).
BJNY

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »
ReplyReply

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php...17&postcount=35

Guillermo
rljones

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 12:39:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the link, but the linked comment does not address if old batteries will work in the Hy6 after the software upgrade.

I measured two Varta V290 (2000 mAH/7.2V) batteries that were shipped just a few months ago with the Hy6 and 75 back, along with six NP-F330 (2300 mAH/7.4V). An HP-3478A multimeter was used to measure the current through a load. All batteries were fully charged.

(BTW, a great charger for these batteries is the Sony BC-V500. It can charge 2 batteries at once and has a flip out AC prong so no cord is needed for travel.)

As expected, there was a trivial current difference, ranging from 688 µA to 695 µA for all batteries. The no load voltages were 8.36V to 8.40V for all batteries. In other words, these batteries behave the same.

Only if Sinar had a power management chip (like Sony uses on some of their newer batteries) should there be any possible differences in behavior, or capacity to lock out a non-chipped battery. If the new battery is chipped, then must we replace all of our batteries for the upgraded Hy6?  (And will the old/new battery issue be a concern with newly upgraded 75 back with larger screen?)
thsinar

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 01:14:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Dear rljones,

I did see your question and did wait to answer it until I have full and relaible information from our product manager.

However, be informed that I have updated my Hy6 firmware and am still using the Varta V290 batteries, without any problem.

But as said, pls. wait for my more reliable answer.

Thanks,
Thierry

Thanks for the link, but the linked comment does not address if old batteries will work in the Hy6 after the software upgrade.

I measured two Varta V290 (2000 mAH/7.2V) batteries that were shipped just a few months ago with the Hy6 and 75 back, along with six NP-F330 (2300 mAH/7.4V). An HP-3478A multimeter was used to measure the current through a load. All batteries were fully charged.

(BTW, a great charger for these batteries is the Sony BC-V500. It can charge 2 batteries at once and has a flip out AC prong so no cord is needed for travel.)

As expected, there was a trivial current difference, ranging from 688 µA to 695 µA for all batteries. The no load voltages were 8.36V to 8.40V for all batteries. In other words, these batteries behave the same.

Only if Sinar had a power management chip (like Sony uses on some of their newer batteries) should there be any possible differences in behavior, or capacity to lock out a non-chipped battery. If the new battery is chipped, then must we replace all of our batteries for the upgraded Hy6?  (And will the old/new battery issue be a concern with newly upgraded 75 back with larger screen?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
thsinar

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »
ReplyReply

Here a complete and detailled information concerning the question about the "Varta V290" battery for eMotion/Sinar Hy6:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previously, Sinar eMotion backs and Sinar Hy6 cameras were delivered with batteries either from VARTA or PISEN. Basically, the VARTA and the PISEN batteries are interchangeable. However, we recommend using the VARTA only in the Sinarback eMotion and the PISEN batteries only in the Sinar Hy6.
The PISEN battery was only an intermediate solution after VARTA's announcement about the discontinuation of this type of battery until the SINAR battery was available.

Please be informed that neither one of the above battery types are longer available. Both types have been replaced by the SINAR V290 battery (552.36.096).

Possible issues when updating the Sinar Hy6 firmware to version 2.09 or higher:

a.   A possible mechanical issue could be that the VARTA battery cannot be inserted properly in the battery compartment of the camera.

b.   From the electrical point of view: If a VARTA V290 battery is used in a Sinar Hy6 that is equipped with firmware 2.09 and higher - depending on the state of the battery - the battery may be switching off due to an internal exceeding current. This switch-off is a protection measure against damage of the battery. After a while or when charging the battery, it usually will recover and can be used again.
The SINAR V290 batteries are resistant to higher electrical currents.

In the worst case - case b - it might be necessary to replace a VARTA battery with a SINAR one.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad