Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: China Camp Pier  (Read 4380 times)
Colorwave

« on: June 25, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »
ReplyReply

C & C welcomed.  This is a first stab at a more interpretive style for me.

Contax 645.  35mm, f8, 1/125 sec, ISO 100.  P30 back.

Thanks,
Ron H.

[attachment=7223:attachment]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:44:18 AM by Colorwave » Logged

peteh

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:00:53 PM »
ReplyReply

C & C welcomed.  This is a first stab at a more interpretive style for me.

Contax 645.  35mm, f8, 1/125 sec, ISO 100.  P30 back.

Thanks,
Ron H.

[attachment=7223:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I live in Santa Rosa, Is China Camp back off 101 going South by Black Point?
Richowens

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Ron,
 I have a weakness for old piers and this one is no exception, I like it.

Pete,
Yeah, just go south to San Rafael and turn left.  

China Camp State Park is out on the point just east of Terra Linda/San Rafael, can't remember the turnoff. Haven't been there in 15 years. In my case Google and Garmin are my friends.

Rich

Colorwave

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:16:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Jeff is right.  Take the South San Pedro exit off of 101 and take it all the way to the bay (about 10 minutes).  It was a fishing village for Chinese immigrants from about 1860.  They conveniently tie the replica junk you see in my shot at the pier in the summer.
-Ron H.

peteh

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Jeff is right.  Take the South San Pedro exit off of 101 and take it all the way to the bay (about 10 minutes).  It was a fishing village for Chinese immigrants from about 1860.  They conveniently tie the replica junk you see in my shot at the pier in the summer.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have not been back there in years.Had to look at the Google Sat. View to see where it was.I have a TOM TOM that works good, I think I'll go there this weekend.

How did you Process the image,I'm a sucker for B&W with some Color in it!.
By the way, did not look like a Junk to me.In fact, I did not see it before you said it was there ! Sometimes I look at the overall shot then have to go back and look at the real fine points.This smoke up here in SR is Bad!Playing with my eyes!
Colorwave

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 06:32:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Have not been back there in years.Had to look at the Google Sat. View to see where it was.I have a TOM TOM that works good, I think I'll go there this weekend.

How did you Process the image,I'm a sucker for B&W with some Color in it!.
By the way, did not look like a Junk to me.In fact, I did not see it before you said it was there ! Sometimes I look at the overall shot then have to go back and look at the real fine points.This smoke up here in SR is Bad!Playing with my eyes!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
peteh-

You are right about the smoke these days.  California has a long summer ahead of it if it is burning this much in June.

Regarding my post approach, it is primarily three layers.  For the base layer, I used the B&W filter to drain the color in a controlled way.  Over that is a duplicate of that layer that I gave a fairly strong gaussian blur.  That layer was set to normal mode, but had a layer mask that I painted on to selectively control the blur/depth of field.  The third layer was my original color shot, slightly mucked with, colorwise, with a little bit of blur on a layer set for color blend.  Other than that, I had a curves adjustment layer and that was pretty much it, from a technique standpoint.  The sky had some nice elements that worked with the diagonal composition, but needed some help to give it a bit more detail in the upper region and a bit more color at the horizon, so there was a little more pixel pushing than just the three layers.

I don't like it particularly much when I see this reduced version in my browser window, even with color managed Safari and a web friendly sRGB profile.  The original is in ProPhoto and much, much richer.  I tried to compensate a little for how it displayed online, but did not get it as close as I would like.  The consolation is that I printed it with my Z3100 at 36" wide on Photo Rag paper and really like it.  The ironic part is that had I only seen this on LL, I'm not sure I would have felt enough to post a comment.

Thanks,
Ron

peteh

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »
ReplyReply

peteh-

You are right about the smoke these days.  California has a long summer ahead of it if it is burning this much in June.

Regarding my post approach, it is primarily three layers.  For the base layer, I used the B&W filter to drain the color in a controlled way.  Over that is a duplicate of that layer that I gave a fairly strong gaussian blur.  That layer was set to normal mode, but had a layer mask that I painted on to selectively control the blur/depth of field.  The third layer was my original color shot, slightly mucked with, colorwise, with a little bit of blur on a layer set for color blend.  Other than that, I had a curves adjustment layer and that was pretty much it, from a technique standpoint.  The sky had some nice elements that worked with the diagonal composition, but needed some help to give it a bit more detail in the upper region and a bit more color at the horizon, so there was a little more pixel pushing than just the three layers.

I don't like it particularly much when I see this reduced version in my browser window, even with color managed Safari and a web friendly sRGB profile.  The original is in ProPhoto and much, much richer.  I tried to compensate a little for how it displayed online, but did not get it as close as I would like.  The consolation is that I printed it with my Z3100 at 36" wide on Photo Rag paper and really like it.  The ironic part is that had I only seen this on LL, I'm not sure I would have felt enough to post a comment.

Thanks,
Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It looks real nice on a Apple Pro running under boocamp and IE.I should just run Apple as Apple.But am kinda weird about windows,I started out with DOS HELL and still run the stupid stuff, I have a Z3100ps GP 24in.Just got a Speedmat 40x60 mat cutter.Am framing my Jack Russell Terrier,"The Most Photographed Dog In the World"She's old but trustworthy!
It's young in the fire season, for here and scary ! Makes for great sunset shots though, if we don't all catch fire first!
It's not looking good right now.
popnfresh
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Nice composition, nice light. A little too heavy on the soft focus for my taste, though.
Colorwave

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Nice composition, nice light. A little too heavy on the soft focus for my taste, though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204045\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the feedback, pop'n.  As I mentioned, this is not typical fare for me, and I'm not normally one for too much mush myself.  There is quite a lot more detail in a large version of this shot, but the small version in particular seems to lack a little oomph of some sort.  Perhaps it is more of a setting without a subject.  Any takers for a sad clown and his circus dog, fishing off of the pier?  I'm sure I've got one of those around here somewhere that I can strip in.
-Ron H.

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad