Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Leica s2  (Read 62283 times)
geesbert
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 551



WWW
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:24:23 AM »
ReplyReply

i've seen the camera at Photokina behind glass and wasn't impresses, as it looked like a dummy

two days ago I've handled one at  a Roadshow and it is working! you can even take pictures with it.

if Leica is not changing the design, I doubt this camera will get a lot of professional buyers.
it is beatifull, very heavy and well made, but it hardly has any physical contolls. Exposure compensation has to be done by menu, AE and AF seem to be non-separatable, this thing just doesn't have enough buttons! Michael R. will cry about not having a MLU button. I just wonder, how Leica manage to totally Ignore any test report about the M8, where 90% of the testers complain about not having an easily accessible EV-compensation.

I am sure the explored their market possibilities, but they probably are not targeting working pros.

They said it's released in about a year.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:24:40 AM by geesbert » Logged

-------------------------
WWW.RANDLKOFER.COM
Dirk L
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 3


WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:30:39 AM »
ReplyReply

what road show was that then?  A Leica road show, showing off the S2? Already?

Dirk

Logged
Carsten W
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 604



WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:40:17 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Dirk L
what road show was that then?  A Leica road show, showing off the S2? Already?

There is a limited number of prototypes, so I would be surprised to see an actual roadshow. Probably prototypes are being shipped to major dealers and distributors to try to get some early feedback. There will be one at Meister Camera Berlin this Friday, for example.
Logged

Carsten W - Recent Photos
BJNY
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1112


« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 03:46:10 AM »
ReplyReply

I expect to see & handle it at the PhotoPlus this week.
Logged

Guillermo
geesbert
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 551



WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 05:11:07 AM »
ReplyReply

it was the Canon/Profoto Road show here in Munich.
Phase one was the as was Leaf, Adobe, a few others and Leica.
Logged

-------------------------
WWW.RANDLKOFER.COM
gwhitf
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 820


« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:20:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: geesbert
it is beatifull, very heavy and well made, but it hardly has any physical contolls. Exposure compensation has to be done by menu, AE and AF seem to be non-separatable, this thing just doesn't have enough buttons!

Design over Functionality, young man. Repeat this mantra over and over and over. It must be pretty. It must be pretty sitting on the shelf, being worshiped, while the hoards crowd around it.

Remember too, when you're only shooting sunsets with it, you have plenty of time to scroll thru the endless Menus; so what's the problem?

Every camera has its demographic -- to the unhurried professional male, with his sweater tied around his shoulders, and his driving gloves on, the camera will be well-received.
Logged
eronald
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4208



« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
ReplyReply

I agree. Not enough buttons. Also just one focus point as far as I could see.

Edmund

Quote from: geesbert
i've seen the camera at Photokina behind glass and wasn't impresses, as it looked like a dummy

two days ago I've handled one at  a Roadshow and it is working! you can even take pictures with it.

if Leica is not changing the design, I doubt this camera will get a lot of professional buyers.
it is beatifull, very heavy and well made, but it hardly has any physical contolls. Exposure compensation has to be done by menu, AE and AF seem to be non-separatable, this thing just doesn't have enough buttons! Michael R. will cry about not having a MLU button. I just wonder, how Leica manage to totally Ignore any test report about the M8, where 90% of the testers complain about not having an easily accessible EV-compensation.

I am sure the explored their market possibilities, but they probably are not targeting working pros.

They said it's released in about a year.
Logged
paulmoorestudio
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 241


WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:03:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
Design over Functionality, young man. Repeat this mantra over and over and over. It must be pretty. It must be pretty sitting on the shelf, being worshiped, while the hoards crowd around it.

Remember too, when you're only shooting sunsets with it, you have plenty of time to scroll thru the endless Menus; so what's the problem?

Every camera has its demographic -- to the unhurried professional male, with his sweater tied around his shoulders, and his driving gloves on, the camera will be well-received.

I don't understand the overuse of menus for controls like exposure comp. and I doubt that they would tie AE and AF together, but I will wait til the actual working camera or final specs are out before smear it as a rich wantabe fashion accesory.. It also sounds to me there is an existing axe to grind against leica with your remarks here and it is you who has issues, but maybe I am wrong and just over sensitive the the leica bashers.  I find they make excellent tools and I enjoy them.. I would love to try this camera out, probably without driving gloves on.
I also find it amusing that there are those who are surprised that it is more than a concept camera and on its way to production..and btw I expect to handle the real deal by next summer not next fall.
Logged

gwhitf
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 820


« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: paulmoorestudio
I would love to try this camera out, probably without driving gloves on.

I find that it appeals only to the driving glove crowd, in that, to go into any real shoot responsibly, you'd need a main body and a backup body, and the way I figure it, that's $54,000 USD in bodies alone, and that's before you even buy the first lens, and the tassles for the loafers.

Yet, I'm sure there is a market for this camera.

The other concern that I saw, at Photo East, was the sheer weight of the thing, and the lenses need their own Sherpa as well. Wouldn't want to carry a full system all day, but then, I'm sure that Lars wouldn't think of burdening himself with carrying it over his own shoulder. Sniff, sniff.
Logged
paulmoorestudio
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 241


WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 05:24:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
I find that it appeals only to the driving glove crowd, in that, to go into any real shoot responsibly, you'd need a main body and a backup body, and the way I figure it, that's $54,000 USD in bodies alone, and that's before you even buy the first lens, and the tassles for the loafers.

Yet, I'm sure there is a market for this camera.

The other concern that I saw, at Photo East, was the sheer weight of the thing, and the lenses need their own Sherpa as well. Wouldn't want to carry a full system all day, but then, I'm sure that Lars wouldn't think of burdening himself with carrying it over his own shoulder. Sniff, sniff.

I guess you didn't read me.. I said it does appeal to me and I don't have driving gloves..but whatever, I will try your m.o.,  I guess it doesn't appeal to the mask wearing crowd.. how is that for a nice broad generalization based on few facts? Let's post on what we know from experience
and from my experience leica makes an excellent product period.. what is your experience?  You thought it heavy?  it is lighter than the hasselblad and hy6 afaik, and just slightly heavier than the canon mk3 dslr..50g's more.. you need a sherpa for that? .. and regarding price, please direct us all to your source for the undisclosed prices..no? so maybe the 2 bodies are not out of the question, for loafer wearing or birkenstock professionals alike.. but what would be so bad about backing up the system with the killer 5d2..with leica r lenses?, it should be sufficent for second string until the r10 comes out.
Logged

Carsten W
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 604



WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 07:14:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: paulmoorestudio
I guess you didn't read me.. I said it does appeal to me and I don't have driving gloves..but whatever, I will try your m.o.,  I guess it doesn't appeal to the mask wearing crowd.. how is that for a nice broad generalization based on few facts? Let's post on what we know from experience
and from my experience leica makes an excellent product period.. what is your experience?  You thought it heavy?  it is lighter than the hasselblad and hy6 afaik, and just slightly heavier than the canon mk3 dslr..50g's more.. you need a sherpa for that? .. and regarding price, please direct us all to your source for the undisclosed prices..no? so maybe the 2 bodies are not out of the question, for loafer wearing or birkenstock professionals alike.. but what would be so bad about backing up the system with the killer 5d2..with leica r lenses?, it should be sufficent for second string until the r10 comes out.

Dr. Kaufmann said the price will be between 10,000 Euro and 20,000 Euro, and that they hope to keep the price below 15,000. I think he wouldn't say that unless he was almost positive that they could. That makes two bodies 30K, which is about $40K.
Logged

Carsten W - Recent Photos
christian_raae
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 77


« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi

A Store in Norway had a visit from Leica today, and I got to try out the S2.

It was obviously just a beta version, but still you got to see some of the features.

It looked promising.

Logged

--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: christian_raae
Hi
A Store in Norway had a visit from Leica today, and I got to try out the S2.
It was obviously just a beta version, but still you got to see some of the features.
It looked promising.

How did it compare to the objections noted here, like lack of an EV control?
Logged
gwhitf
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 820


« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: christian_raae
It was obviously just a beta version, but still you got to see some of the features.

It looked promising.

You guys and your dreams. Hope springs eternal.

Guarantee you it'll be in the same glass case, like an Untouchable, at this year's Photo East as well.

I want to pin the blue ribbon of courage on the first guy in line who writes the $30,000 check for a body and maybe a couple of lenses. And for Version 1.0 at that.
Logged
christian_raae
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 77


« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 03:32:38 AM »
ReplyReply

The camera was fully functional. So the glass case is history.

It has already done several shoots in germany, and , according to the rep, suppose to out do some of the major competetors in todays marked.

"You guys and your dreams"? I`m never gonna buy this camera, its just fun to see another brand hitting the market.
Logged

--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com
pcunite
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 205


« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 01:07:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: christian_raae
The camera was fully functional. So the glass case is history.

This should mean the camera is for real, listed at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5851...tal_Camera.html
Logged
paulmoorestudio
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 241


WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: pcunite
This should mean the camera is for real, listed at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5851...tal_Camera.html

I ordered a rollei xact2 bellow compendium from B&H, they had a nice picture.. after a couple months of endless phone
calls they finally admitted that no such item exists.. no explanation of why it was on their site..
so being on their website is not proof of anything..I have more faith in what leica says then the boys on the westside.
Logged

Snook
Guest
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: paulmoorestudio
I ordered a rollei xact2 bellow compendium from B&H, they had a nice picture.. after a couple months of endless phone
calls they finally admitted that no such item exists.. no explanation of why it was on their site..
so being on their website is not proof of anything..I have more faith in what leica says then the boys on the westside.

I think it was the Mamiya ZD that was listed as coming soon for like 6 months also...

B&H means nothing.

How the Dentist business doing these days during the crisis??
Seeing how they are the few that might be buying this camera.        


Snook  
Logged
dfarkas
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 121


WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
You guys and your dreams. Hope springs eternal.

Guarantee you it'll be in the same glass case, like an Untouchable, at this year's Photo East as well.

I want to pin the blue ribbon of courage on the first guy in line who writes the $30,000 check for a body and maybe a couple of lenses. And for Version 1.0 at that.

The camera will ship to dealers in September. And, if you'll be at the LHSA Annual Meeting in Seattle (Oct 7-11), you can try out a production S2 for a day yourself. Since Photo East is later in October, I'd think you'll see real cameras there as well.

David
Logged

David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion
rgmoore
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 53


WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »
ReplyReply

B&H is showing one review for S2.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad