Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: color or BW  (Read 2280 times)
tony Rosca

« on: October 25, 2008, 11:42:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi guys ,
What you think has more impact , color or BW ? Also having people incorporate in my work it is new for me . What you guys think I am doing ?
wolfnowl

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, they're both good but very different.  The way you've processed the B&W gives it that HDR 'grunge' look to it, which I don't normally like but works here.  Couldn't choose a 'favourite'.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
DarkPenguin
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:08:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Color.
joergen geerds

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 04:38:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tony Rosca
Hi guys ,
What you think has more impact , color or BW ? Also having people incorporate in my work it is new for me . What you guys think I am doing ?

color.
the black&white version has a strange HDR-looking background with some strange halo-effect that makes the background very distracting, and it is not so distracting in the color version.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:39:08 PM by joergen geerds » Logged

tony Rosca

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: joergen geerds
color.
the black&white version has a strange HDR-looking background with some strange halo-effect that makes the background very distracting, and it is not so distracting in the color version.

In the B&W I did the HDR on background to give it the same importance as the kid. The picture was not intended to be a portrait and when converted to B&W the image focused more on the kid.
I even printed both 11x14 and have them side by side and still I can't choose.
Thanks for the input guys
MGutman

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
ReplyReply

I prefer color for this composition because it has a very "painterly" look.  
erictoddjohnson

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »
ReplyReply

I prefer the color version, but it would be interesting to see the B&W without the HDR on the background.

Eric
KeithR

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
ReplyReply

To me they both have good and bad points. Given the subject, the color seems too much, especially the HDR backgound, and the B&W doesn't have the feeling that I think you were tring to get.
I would have gone a bit farther in that I would have made the B&W darker and made in more of a brown tone(more chocolate) and add a touch of a lens filter or gaussian blur, just enough to soften it. I would then drag the color version onto the B&W(now brownish), making it a layer and desaturated it to take some of the color away but leave just enough. I would then paint a mask over the background to reveal the previous background. Just a suggestion

The destination is our goal but its the journey that educates us.
tony Rosca

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Keith, I have other images from this project were I desaturated the colors  . but it worked better because the light was very moody . I think in this case will not be too successful . Somehow even few guys don't like the HDR background it works for me because I want that rough texture around the kid.
I am trying right now to mix the colors and the B&w  basically making the shadows sepia and retain the full colors on the image too.
Thanks again guys for your help
popnfresh
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »
ReplyReply

I definitely prefer the color version. The wonderful earthen colors add depth and a sense of place that's missing in the B&W version.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad