Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Ken Rockwell strikes again! round 2  (Read 9675 times)
siejones
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 13


« on: October 28, 2008, 02:25:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Looks like Ken Rockwell has picked up on the "You got to be kidding" article and is using it too further emphasis his point that "the camera does not matter" in his review of the G10

From the what’s new section under “G10” heading Quote:

"A guy in Canada posted that he can't see much difference between the G10 and a 39MP Hasselblad, but he was only looking at 13x19" (30x50cm) inkjet prints. Of course you can't see anything with small amateur prints; I've been telling you all along (and as he just confirmed again), there is no difference between a $150 and a $5,000 camera, and there is no difference between a $25 and a $5,000 camera, and there is no difference between a $5 film camera and a $3,200 digital camera. A pro making large (3 feet or 1m wide) prints would see differences, but amateurs making small 13x19" inkjets won't."

It's his usual controversial tactics to get himself noticed again no doubt. Will Michael respond to the provocation?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:26:08 AM by siejones » Logged
Slough
Guest
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:10:17 AM »
ReplyReply

Isn't it best just to ignore idiots like Rockwell and not given them free publicity and a boost to their Google rating?

I think he is sore about MR laying into him not so long ago. I ignore Ken's rants, and exaggerated nonsense.
Logged
Moynihan
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 118


WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:14:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: siejones
...."A guy in Canada posted that he can't see much difference between the G10 and a 39MP Hasselblad, .... Of course you can't see anything with small amateur prints.....Will Michael respond to the provocation?

Well, I am sure there is more than one guy in Canada. A perhaps more than one has shot with those two cameras.  How do we even know he means Michael?  
Big prints = Pro    small prints = amateur. Geeeez. Guess the guy has never heard of Edward Weston.

I would think there is no need to respond. I mean, it is not a comment by a serious photographer, its a comment by Ken Rockwell.
Logged
Mike W
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 217


« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Since when is 13" x 19" small?
4"x5" is a small print to me....
Logged
michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4916



« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:03:24 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm trying to think of something pithy to say by way of rejoinder, but then I'd probably get pithed off.

Oh, forget it.

Michael

PS: If I really want to see stupid people saying asinine things I just need to watch one of the US presidential candidates make a speech.

PPS: I can also see the USA from my back yard.
Logged
jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3649



WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 07:32:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Not sure why anyone gets wound up by Mr Rockwell when he posts this on his site.

"This is my personal website. I do it all by myself. I'm just one guy with a computer who likes to take pictures. I have the playful, immature and creative, trouble-making mind of a seven-year-old, so read accordingly.

This site is purely my personal speech and opinion, and a way for me to goof around.

While often inspired by actual products and events, just like any other good news organization, I like to make things up and stretch the truth if they make an article more fun. In the case of new products, rumors and just plain silly stuff, it's all pretend. If you lack a good BS detector, please treat this entire site as a work of fiction."

I only update things as I discover errors. I offer no warrantees of any kind, except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking. While this site is mostly accurate, it is neither legally binding nor guaranteed. The only thing I do guarantee is that there is plenty of stuff I simply make up out of thin air, as does The Onion.
Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4916



« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 08:33:15 AM »
ReplyReply

And therein lies the danger.

It's like when someone says something hurtful, and then when challenged says – "Oh, I was just kidding". Not!

The Internet is a dangerous place, for adults as well as children. When someone mounts their soapbox, provides some useful information but then surrounds it with trash talk, people are easily mislead.

Michael

Wait! Is that the USA I see from my backyard?



Logged
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 08:52:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michael
.....When someone mounts their soapbox, provides some useful information but then surrounds it with trash talk, people are easily mislead.....
I went to Rockwell's site a couple of times expecting to find more of the funny, outrageous material he allegedly propagates, but it was disappointing. If you're looking for comic relief, it's not a good site, because there's no depth to the material. Unfortunately there's not much depth in anything else there either, which must account for the controversy - out of the humdrum of a moribund blogsite comes an outrageous statement or two, and it flashes like lightning across the Web. I don't get it, and I guess I never will.
Logged
siejones
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 13


« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:31:59 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michael
And therein lies the danger.

It's like when someone says something hurtful, and then when challenged says – "Oh, I was just kidding". Not!

The Internet is a dangerous place, for adults as well as children. When someone mounts their soapbox, provides some useful information but then surrounds it with trash talk, people are easily mislead.

Michael

Wait! Is that the USA I see from my backyard?

Exactly! Admitting your an idiot doesn't excuse you from being one
Logged
Tony Beach
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 452


WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michael
PS: If I really want to see stupid people saying asinine things I just need to watch one of the US presidential candidates make a speech.


Which one?
Logged
jasonrandolph
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 554


WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
ReplyReply

"A pro making large (3 feet or 1m wide) prints would see differences, but amateurs making small 13x19" inkjets won't."

Will someone please tell Rockwell that big prints do not make someone a pro, as he should know VERY well...
Logged

Plekto
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 551


« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Idiot boy is at it again.

And this coming from one of the most hardcore techno-geeks out there.  His equipment list is a gear-head's wish list of large format tools and lenses.  To him, maybe, it's all budget consumer crap and all looks the same, but he's full of it.  I can tell differences between a pocket camera and a good camera on a 4*6 print, let alone anything larger.  And his claims about a $5 film camera being as good as digital... well, yeah I guess, IF you have a $1000 slide scanner and a few hundred dollars in software.  Oops.  forgot that in the cost comparison...

He's a bit like our current President.  He's just not bright enough to realize how much he truly doesn't know.  

But he's fun to read.  Heh.  It's like the tabloids you get at the checkout, just for photographers.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:09:53 PM by Plekto » Logged
Robert Roaldi
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 499


WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 02:12:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Plekto
He's just not bright enough to realize how much he truly doesn't know.

As a quick aside, people have actually studied this phenomenon. I wrote a tongue-in-cheek blog piece about it here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:13:17 PM by Robert Roaldi » Logged

--
Robert
robertroaldi.zenfolio.com
jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3649



WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: siejones
Exactly! Admitting your an idiot doesn't excuse you from being one
But if you are an idiot, then surely you cannot not be one.
But as he actually quite accurately points out "While often inspired by actual products and events, just like any other good news organization, I like to make things up and stretch the truth if they make an article more fun.." My view exactly of much of our so called news. At least he admits to the BS.
And he is probably entertained and maybe even made richer, by the constant references on here and subsequent visits to his site.
Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
.....At least he admits to the BS.
And he is probably entertained and maybe even made richer, by the constant references on here and subsequent visits to his site.
I wonder if this is like a Howard Stern promo, where the actual content is dull and repetitious, but by having people inject his name over and over into other venues, the shock-jock gains reputation capital without having to pay for it.
Logged
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2929



WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
Not sure why anyone gets wound up by Mr Rockwell when he posts this on his site.

"This is my personal website. I do it all by myself. I'm just one guy with a computer who likes to take pictures. I have the playful, immature and creative, trouble-making mind of a seven-year-old, so read accordingly.

This site is purely my personal speech and opinion, and a way for me to goof around.

While often inspired by actual products and events, just like any other good news organization, I like to make things up and stretch the truth if they make an article more fun. In the case of new products, rumors and just plain silly stuff, it's all pretend. If you lack a good BS detector, please treat this entire site as a work of fiction."

I only update things as I discover errors. I offer no warrantees of any kind, except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking. While this site is mostly accurate, it is neither legally binding nor guaranteed. The only thing I do guarantee is that there is plenty of stuff I simply make up out of thin air, as does The Onion.


All he is doing is pre-creating an "excuse" - a disclaimer. Truth be told I think he really does believe what he writes, because they don't seem to make any sense in the context of their disclaimer.

If this lame excuse is really true, then he needs to precede every individual article with it, because they come across as serious arguments, and most reading them won't ever see this disclaimer.

(and I'm hating myself for even taking time to respond in a thread about this guy ...)
Logged

The View
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1004


« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 02:00:42 AM »
ReplyReply

Ken Rockwell must love this forum.

Lots of free advertising for him.

He may even join and post a thread against himself to boost his google ratings.



Logged

Deserts, Cities, Woods, Faces - View of the World.
David Anderson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 506



WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 04:32:38 AM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, I don't get that site, I think most people could make a higher quality picture with a box of crayons.
Logged

Geoff Wittig
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1017


« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 06:20:52 AM »
ReplyReply

[quote name='michael' date='Oct 28 2008, 12:03 PM' post='232512']


Michael

PS: If I really want to see stupid people saying asinine things I just need to watch one of the US presidential candidates make a speech.


Hrmph.
As opposed to the brilliantly eloquent Mr. Harper?
Don't get me wrong, it's evident to any sentient being that George W. Bush is a village idiot, Palin a complete bubblehead and McCain a thin-skinned angry man. But that's a little tacky.
Logged
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
.....and McCain a thin-skinned angry man. But that's a little tacky.
Interesting that in all of the USA, the self-proclaimed greatest land on Earth, the top 2 people for president include a man mentally unbalanced as a result of torture in a wartime POW prison. This is the best we can do? If it is, then the likes of Rockwell should be fronting the media that promote the likes of McCain. Oops......
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad