Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Panasonic digital rangefinder  (Read 3324 times)
BJL

« on: October 09, 2003, 04:30:10 PM »
ReplyReply

A debate has raged at DPReview over how much this is like a Leica M. Given my great pessimism about there ever being a digital camera with true rangefinder focusing or any digital non-SLR with interchangeable lenses, this at least offers a few of the virtues of a rangefinder when compared to other digital cameras:

a) traditional control wheels on the lens barrel for focus, zoom and aperture setting, and even a traditional speed setting knob on top
 considerably smaller size than a DSLR, which is the only other option for getting (a).
c) A Leica lens; the debate now starts over whether it is a real Leica lens or one made under that name by Minolta (I have heard tha Minolta was also the maker of at least one Leica M or R series lens.)

In respect of the future of good digital cameras than are smaller than DSLR's, is there a future for sensor sizes to grow beyond 2/3" format in cameras like this new Panasonic/Leica? It would mainly take the making of a sensor in say 4/3 or "APS" size but with live preview output. I am puzzled why there is a huge factor of four jump in sensor areas between the biggest, most expensive fixed lens digicams and the smallest one with interchangeable lenses; especially since the cheapest of the latter (Canon 300D) costs less than some of the former (Sony 828).
victoraberdeen

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 01:50:35 AM »
ReplyReply

I live in hope - BJL...

This looks like a step in the right direction, and we could speculate that there will be a parallel to the duet Panasonic LC 5 and Leica Digilux 1.

If I were to dream, then a Contax G or Leica M with a full size sensor over 10meg and full color on each pixel. Then you can have the best optics and live preview that would change the Digicam market.
BruceK

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 10:17:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Found this whilst browsing Fred Miranda's site: Lumix DMC-LC1  Looks like a  V E R Y  interesting camera, at least to me...

Bruce
Jim Zipp
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 12:55:41 PM »
ReplyReply

It shouldn't be too surprising that this resembles a Leica as Panasonic currently makes their Minox digital cameras.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad