Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Z3100 faulty cartridge  (Read 3387 times)
rdonson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1420


WWW
« on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »
ReplyReply

I've had a Light Magenta cartridge going from low to very low so I wasn't surprised when the printer reported it was out and needed to be replaced.  Unfortunately I replaced the cart, it thanked me for using genuine HP parts and before I could print the Z3100 said it was a faulty cartridge and it had to be replaced.  Luckily I had a twin pack so I put another LM into the machine.  Same result.  The printer said it was a faulty cartridge.

I've powered the printer down and back up again with the same results.  It insists I've got two "faulty" LM cartridges.  

At first the printer console showed the 130 ml cart had a capacity 1ml with -1ml in it.  Now its not even seeing the carts.

Any ideas?  Bad contacts?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:05:37 PM by rdonson » Logged

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
Ernst Dinkla
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2827


« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 05:08:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: rdonson
I've had a Light Magenta cartridge going from low to very low so I wasn't surprised when the printer reported it was out and needed to be replaced.  Unfortunately I replaced the cart, it thanked me for using genuine HP parts and before I could print the Z3100 said it was a faulty cartridge and it had to be replaced.  Luckily I had a twin pack so I put another LM into the machine.  Same result.  The printer said it was a faulty cartridge.

I've powered the printer down and back up again with the same results.  It insists I've got two "faulty" LM cartridges.  

At first the printer console showed the 130 ml cart had a capacity 1ml with -1ml in it.  Now its not even seeing the carts.

Any ideas?  Bad contacts?


Possibly bad contacts but it could be wrong at either the printer or the cart's side. Clean the printer side and check the position of the cart connectors against one that worked correctly.

I have a strong believe in power down and up of the printer when things go wrong for unknown reasons. This is the season of miracles so why not opt for that solution ?


Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged
rdonson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1420


WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the response, Ernst.  I've recycled the power several times and cleaned the contacts on the cart and the printer and I still have "faulty" carts.  If I put the old cart back in it reads the cart fine, reporting product number, serial number, capacity, ink level, etc.  its just out of ink.  

I guess the next step is get ATLEX to replace the two "faulty" ink carts.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the chips in the carts.  These seem to be genuine HP 70 carts.  They came in HP twin packaging and the ink carts themselves were in the standard HP foil packs.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 11:39:55 AM by rdonson » Logged

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
Ernst Dinkla
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2827


« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 05:17:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: rdonson
Thanks for the response, Ernst.  I've recycled the power several times and cleaned the contacts on the cart and the printer and I still have "faulty" carts.  If I put the old cart back in it reads the cart fine, reporting product number, serial number, capacity, ink level, etc.  its just out of ink.  

I guess the next step is get ATLEX to replace the two "faulty" ink carts.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the chips in the carts.  These seem to be genuine HP 70 carts.  They came in HP twin packaging and the ink carts themselves were in the standard HP foil packs.

There's little else left then. If it had been Red carts it could have the Z3200 kind but LM should be the same.


Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged
dct123
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 126


WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »
ReplyReply

Contact HP support...I had the same problem with a twin pack of GE. HP FEDEXed me TWO new twin packs within a couple days. The new ink cartridges worked. (Although, I believe that sending me two twin packs was an error on their part).
Logged
rdonson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1420


WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 10:17:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the response.  That helps me a lot.  Now I know that I'm not losing my mind that there are bad carts out there in the wild.

I'll look for a way to contact HP support and see if they'll replace the bad carts.

Thanks!!!!
Logged

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
photogoalie
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 4


WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: rdonson
Thanks for the response.  That helps me a lot.  Now I know that I'm not losing my mind that there are bad carts out there in the wild.

I'll look for a way to contact HP support and see if they'll replace the bad carts.

Thanks!!!!

Hi,

I just used HP Instant Support Prof Edition (ISPE) for a faulty printhead problem. It was not a new one but was not recognized after I cleaned it (ink streak left on paper).

Instead of waiting on the phone, I used the chat session. I was assigned a ressource (Diego, very friendly in Costa Rica) and began the chat within 3-4 minutes. They shipped a new head as the faulty one was still under warranty.

This was faster than my previous experience via phone support.

I believe (not sure) your printer must still be under warranty in order to use ISPE.

Good luck

Carl
Logged
rdonson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1420


WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 12:48:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Carl.  My printer is no longer under warranty.   ISPE sounds like a good approach if I was eligible.

Either HP or ATLEX should be willing to replace the carts for me though.
Logged

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
rdonson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1420


WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Well.... You'd think it would be simple to get a defective ink cart replaced.  Evidently not.   I'm afraid it looks like I'm out the cost of the twin pack as I'm almost positive that paying for service will be far more expensive than ordering new carts.  Here's the response from ATLEX.  Then again.... where there's a will there's a way...  


==============================================================================
Because this order is greater then 30 days old, the manufacturer warranty will apply to the defective cartridge.

CALL 1-800-HPINVENT (1-800-474-6836)

Before you call, please have the serial number of your printer and your credit card available.

Once the menu plays, use the following choices to get to the Designjet technical support line:

“technical support”

“printer”

“designjet”

(your printer name) “Z3100”

You will then be connected to an HP service rep who will verify the warranty of your printer.  Before a technician can replace a defective cartridge, it must be determined that the issue is with the cartridge itself and not the actual printer.

PLEASE NOTE: ~if your printer is out of warranty, you will have to pay for the technical service call.  Once connected, if it is determined that your cartridge in fact has a warranty issue, the cartridge will be replaced and the price of your call refunded.
Logged

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
Ernst Dinkla
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2827


« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: rdonson
PLEASE NOTE: ~if your printer is out of warranty, you will have to pay for the technical service call.  Once connected, if it is determined that your cartridge in fact has a warranty issue, the cartridge will be replaced and the price of your call refunded.

If other LM carts are accepted by the printer then it should be a clear case of a faulty twin pack you got.


Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged
rdonson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1420


WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
If other LM carts are accepted by the printer then it should be a clear case of a faulty twin pack you got.


Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/


It should be a clear case but company policies are company policies and I'd have to waste a lot of time to get HP to do the right thing.  Mega companies can be a royal pain to deal with sometimes.  In the meantime ATLEX has come up with a solution that seems equitable.   A tip of the hat to ATLEX for working with me on this.
Logged

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
rdonson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1420


WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »
ReplyReply

Just a final note on this.  The new LM carts arrived and work just fine in the printer.  I definitely had two defective 130ml carts in that previous twin pack.

Its good to be printing again.    
Logged

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad