Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Maine winters...  (Read 1607 times)
dwood

« on: January 10, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
ReplyReply

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:09:50 PM »
ReplyReply

If the economy gets better, maybe they'll have a year-round lifeguard next winter.  

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
wolfnowl

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »
ReplyReply

That image reminded me of when I was working in Texas... wow, over a decade ago now.  It took us 1/2 hour to convince the Texans that it was possible to drive a vehicle on the ice in the wintertime, but there was no way they were willing to believe that one could build a fire on the ice; that was just the Canadians trying to mess with them.  It is true, though!  Actually, up north they even use rivers as highways in the winter, although all of the truckers drive with one hand on the door handle or know exactly where it is, because even six feet of ice can be thin around an air pocket and entire rigs have been lost that way.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
dwood

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: wolfnowl
That image reminded me of when I was working in Texas... wow, over a decade ago now.  It took us 1/2 hour to convince the Texans that it was possible to drive a vehicle on the ice in the wintertime, but there was no way they were willing to believe that one could build a fire on the ice; that was just the Canadians trying to mess with them.  It is true, though!  Actually, up north they even use rivers as highways in the winter, although all of the truckers drive with one hand on the door handle or know exactly where it is, because even six feet of ice can be thin around an air pocket and entire rigs have been lost that way.

Mike.

There's a fair amount of ice fishing here in the winter. Every year, there's at least one or two anxious fishermen who test the ice a bit early and have to have their vehicles lifted out of a pond or lake after attempting to drive on to thin ice.

jjj

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:33:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: wolfnowl
Actually, up north they even use rivers as highways in the winter, although all of the truckers drive with one hand on the door handle or know exactly where it is, because even six feet of ice can be thin around an air pocket and entire rigs have been lost that way.
Ice Truckers - a popular documentary series on UK TV.
Only ever caught a snippet, certainly not a job I'd ever consider!

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad