Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: D60 Discontinued?  (Read 4351 times)
erik hansen
« on: January 07, 2003, 03:24:53 PM »
ReplyReply

anything is possible, but that doesn't make much sense.  there are still waiting lists for the d60.  bizarre...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 05:48:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Here's what I have just reported on What's New.....

DPReview has announced that the Canon EOS D60 has been discontinued. This is in anticipation of the release of a new Canon digital SLR at the PMA show in early March. Apparently the source of this information was Canon, Canada. I spoke yesterday with Canon and here is what I've been told. The D60 has not been officially discontinued. But, I was told that there is no stock, their is no ETA on new shipment arrival, and dealers have been told to stop taking orders. Draw your own conclusions :-)

As to what's coming to replace it, there is no information officially available, and likely won't be for another 6-7 weeks. Given that the D60 will have had a life span of just 12 months, and was continuously backordered during that period, we can only hope that Canon is gearing up production appropriately for its successor.

Michael
scubastu

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 12:02:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Here's a perspective that you guys may not be aware off... there have been new releases for new underwater housings for the DSLR's.  The D100 has at least 4 that I know off, the D60, 2 with another one on the way.  These housings are moulded/machined aluminum....not cheap by any means, and pretty much custom fit to the camera.  Very expensive to do R/D work on (i.e. camera controls/windows/ports).  Me thinks that a new Canon DSLR will have a very similar control layout and size to the D60...just like the D60 and D30....and same goes for a D100 successor...

my 2 cents...

Stu
Gurtch

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 07:58:50 PM »
ReplyReply

If some folks still want D60s, there are some listed brand new on Ebay, supposedly USA imported, and in stock.
Regards
Dave G
JamesM
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 08:53:46 PM »
ReplyReply

I personally am holding off until I know if this beast has better AF then the D60.  I was royally ticked off when Canon made announcements about the enhanced AF of the D60 (over the D30) - and it was not so (at least in my mind).  

This is the camera's biggest problem. Personally, I am doing fine with 6.5 MP - 8 or 9 will be better, but only if it can deliver the goods in the AF area.

-James
mbridgers

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 02:54:22 PM »
ReplyReply

DP Review is posting an item about the D60 being discontinued. Phil says that it is "accidently" confirmed by Canon Canada.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03010702d60question.asp
scubastu

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2003, 03:27:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, a friend of mine phoned a retailer here in Vancouver and they said " ...you can't get a Canon D60 for love or money, no deliveries."

I was about to order a D60 in the next 2 weeks too! Guess I'm shooting topside images with film for a while longer...I will keep shooting film for underwater!  :cool:

Stu
BJL

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2003, 07:54:09 PM »
ReplyReply

This forum lacks the pointless wild speculation of many, so let me ruin that with an idea about a possible replacement for the Canon D60:

A step down in price and perhaps features or at least build quality, to a purely consumer oriented "Digital Rebel or Elan", competing directly with the high end 5MP P&S models, say around the price of an Olympus E20n. "Why buy an expensive P&S with lots of dead pixel problems and no shallow depth of field option when for few dollars more you get a real SLR and access to Canon's prestigious lens collection?"

That would fit with Canon's somewhat surprising move of keeping their recently released top P&S model (G3) at 4MP and well under US$1000, and could also help to push professionals up to the D1 models who might otherwise settle for a D60 as "good enough". That is, keeping the cheapest DSLR model for the consumer SLR market only.

(Even wilder speculation: an electronic viewfinder for zooming on the focal point, no mirror lag, no mirror vibration or noise, and so on.)
Robert Roaldi
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Very odd that, ending production on something that is in demand. Normally, you stop production on a loser.

Maybe this is a glimpse into the virtual future. They constantly release new products that never actually sell.
jackmacd
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2003, 01:31:54 PM »
ReplyReply

March will have a D90 announced.
Mark
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 01:58:42 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi
Regards the end of the D60, I' told by a very respected Canon dealer in the Uk that 2 new models are due, one lower speck and cost than the D60 the other above. I belive that if he does not already have stock then he has them on order.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad