Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Hand held HDR - What software are you using?  (Read 10644 times)
BernardLanguillier

« on: January 13, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Dear all,

I know that the question may sound strange coming from a tripod obsessed person like me, but I have started to look at doing HDR from handheld shots.

I am looking for the best possible software option to handle these cases. Here is what I tried myself and the results. I shot 3 images with the D3x in 14 bits raw mode, meaning at a speed of about 2 images per second using a -1, 0, +1 auto bracketing pattern. The shutter speed was around 1/125 sec average at f8. Because of the rather slow shooting speed, there was not huge, but significant differences in the framing of the 3 shots.

- The first software I tried was Photomatix, but it just wasn't able to align the images correctly. -> I am not very knowledgeable on Photomatix, is there a way to improve on the default alignement?
- CS4 auto align function also didn't do such a good job, about in the same league as Photomatix, meaning barely suitable for 10x15cm critical prints.
- PTgui did a much better job than the other 2, and its Fusion based algo for pano did also produce a much more pleasing result much faster than Photomatix.

Here is the resulting image processed with PTgui:

Based on this, my current feeling is that PTgui is by far the best option for handheld HDR work, but this is a result I have never seen reported by anybody else until now.

What are you ladies and gentlemen doing?

Thank you in advance for your kind feedback.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:57:52 PM by BernardLanguillier » Logged

A few images online here!
Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Did the alignment need interpolation? or was just X-Y shifted by an integer amount of pixels?

Anyway, don't you think -1,0+1 is no great improvement for the effort?

PS: I am more surprised that you even tried Photomatix.

haefnerphoto

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
ReplyReply

What's wrong with Photomatix?  How about trying one normal raw capture and processing it under and over by 2-3 stops?  Jim

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Bernard, I've been consistently disappointed with Photomatix's results from my hand-held HDR tests.  
Close, but no cigar.  Also, I find Photomatix to be quite noisy, unpredictably so.  
I'll try your method.
DarkPenguin
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Not an answer but I think they do this stuff over at Digital Outback Photo.  You might consider, if you haven't already, asking in their forums.
BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: GLuijk
Did the alignment need interpolation? or was just X-Y shifted by an integer amount of pixels?

Anyway, don't you think -1,0+1 is no great improvement for the effort?

PS: I am more surprised that you even tried Photomatix.

Yes, it was handheld, so it was not a simple X-Y adjustment, the framing was different including angle and actual shooting position.

The D3x was mostly able to capture the DR of the scene, so in this case -1, 0, +1 did bring enough value.

I am really an HDR beginner, so I just tried the Photomatix license I had bought a year ago. I will obviously not waste too much time with it anymore when serious alignement needs to be done.

What do you use?

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:02:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Not an answer but I think they do this stuff over at Digital Outback Photo.  You might consider, if you haven't already, asking in their forums.

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: haefnerphoto
What's wrong with Photomatix?  How about trying one normal raw capture and processing it under and over by 2-3 stops?  Jim

What was wrong with this test is that the software was unable to align the images...

Cheers,
Bernard

wolfnowl

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:17:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Bernard:  I don't know if this would be of any use to you or not, but it show up on Jeff Revell's blog site yesterday:
http://www.revellphotography.com/blog/?p=1985

The site for the company is: http://www.ariea.com/products/hdrmax/

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi Bernard:  I don't know if this would be of any use to you or not, but it show up on Jeff Revell's blog site yesterday:
http://www.revellphotography.com/blog/?p=1985

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Peter McLennan
Bernard, I've been consistently disappointed with Photomatix's results from my hand-held HDR tests.  
Close, but no cigar.  Also, I find Photomatix to be quite noisy, unpredictably so.  
I'll try your method.

Peter,

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Bernard

Alexandre Buisse

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:00:23 AM »
ReplyReply

I've been finding that CS3/CS4 alignment is consistently better than photomatix's. I remember that this used to be what the digital outback people recommended a while back (when CS3 was released, I think) but it might well have changed. I usually have to clean up some details with the clone tool if I intend to print big but overall, it's generally not too bad.
I'll give ptgui a try.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:58:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Alexandre Buisse
I've been finding that CS3/CS4 alignment is consistently better than photomatix's. I remember that this used to be what the digital outback people recommended a while back (when CS3 was released, I think) but it might well have changed. I usually have to clean up some details with the clone tool if I intend to print big but overall, it's generally not too bad.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Bernard

opgr

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 05:35:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Have been looking for a solution to the exact same problem, following is what I thought worked best:

http://www.autopano.net/

Will do automatic position and perspective alignment, especially for handheld, non-optimal situations. Doesn't necessarily have to be panorama shots, will also do stacking. See the tutorial pages. (I'm not in any way related to this company).

Regards,
Oscar Rysdyk
theimagingfactory
francois

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:59:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Bernard
Bernard,
Let us know how it works. From a few comments I read a while ago, the application was buggy but the results were similar to the competing products like Photomatix.

Edit: some positive comments here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:01:57 AM by francois » Logged

Francois
rdonson

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Bernard,

What version of Photomatix have you been using?  The latest version, 3.1, is a definite improvement over previous versions.

Alignment works pretty well for me handheld unless you're doing architecture with a lot of angles.  That's when you have to resort to tools like you've mentioned.

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial'][span style='font-family:Geneva'][span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Regards,
Ron[/span][/span][/span][/span]
schrodingerscat

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
ReplyReply

Bernard -

Are you on a Mac? If so, try: http://pangeasoft.net/pano/bracketeer/index.html. It's specifically designed for hand held HDR's. I've fooled with it a bit and it seems to work well enough to warrant further exploration.

Even works with RAW files in 10.5.
kikashi

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
ReplyReply

I've heard it said that Hydra is particularly good at this kind of thing (their blurb certainly claims that it is), but I confess I've not tried it myself. It's both standalone and an Aperture plug-in, if that's of interest.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:51:13 AM by kikashi » Logged
BernardLanguillier

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: rdonson
Bernard,

What version of Photomatix have you been using?  The latest version, 3.1, is a definite improvement over previous versions.

Alignment works pretty well for me handheld unless you're doing architecture with a lot of angles.  That's when you have to resort to tools like you've mentioned.

Thanks. It was with 3.1.

As I mentioned, I have only used the default alignement capability without any tweaking, is there a way to improve on that?

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 04:33:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Bernard -

Are you on a Mac? If so, try: http://pangeasoft.net/pano/bracketeer/index.html. It's specifically designed for hand held HDR's. I've fooled with it a bit and it seems to work well enough to warrant further exploration.

Even works with RAW files in 10.5.

Hi,

Yes I am on Mac, thanks for the pointer, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Bernard

Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad