Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Blue Iceberg  (Read 10230 times)
KeithR

« on: January 29, 2009, 08:27:14 AM »
ReplyReply

All I can say is WOW! My compliments to the chef! Simply beautiful!
That's one I'd like to see larger in print. My guess is that it would be impressive.

The destination is our goal but its the journey that educates us.
Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:44:14 AM »
ReplyReply

Absolutely stunning!

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
dwood

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
ReplyReply

'Blue Notch' is outstanding. Nicely done.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Yep, lovely photograph.

Im rather sorry, though, that all the illusions about coloured icebergs and their bumble bees have been proven to be unfounded; kind of takes away the magic a little bit. I like magic.

Rob C

framah

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Rob.. What the heck does THAT mean??    

Seriously.. please expand on what you are trying to say because, as it is, you are making no sense at all.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
mahleu

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: framah
Rob.. What the heck does THAT mean??    

Seriously.. please expand on what you are trying to say because, as it is, you are making no sense at all.
http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/blue-icebergs.shtml

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Beautiful!

sojournerphoto

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mahleu

What Mark is saying is that icebergs and glaciers are blue because water is blue, and you can see this when the transmitted blue light is not hidden by reflected white light.

We had a very similar experience in Norway last summer, with no end of useless explanations...

"Why is the river blue?"

"Because it's glacier water"

"But why is the glacier water blue?"

"Because it's glacier water!"

etc etc

It is truely remarkable though

Mike
framah

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Oh... Never mind.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Framah

Let me guess: the document is iceberg-shaped...

Do you know the song Hard Hearted Hannah? I wonder if thats where the lady might come in? Pete Kellys Blues?

I, too, am totally confused but then, Im quite at home with that.

Rob C

JDClements

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Rob C
Im rather sorry, though, that all the illusions about coloured icebergs and their bumble bees have been proven to be unfounded; kind of takes away the magic a little bit. I like magic.

People said the same thing when Newton split light with a prism and showed how rainbows were made. But fear not, because truth really is stranger than fiction. Reality is way better than magic!

David Anderson

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »
ReplyReply

All the Australian icebergs are clear - so clear in fact that they're invisible..

Great shot...

Ray

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: sojournerphoto
What Mark is saying is that icebergs and glaciers are blue because water is blue, and you can see this when the transmitted blue light is not hidden by reflected white light.

Having just read the article, I got the impression that the fundamental reason for icebergs being blue was the tendency for lightwaves of a lower frequency than blue (green to red) to excite the vibrational modes of water molecules, thus transforming their energy into a small amount of heat, which results in a shift in the balance of white light towards the blue end of the spectrum.
NashvilleMike

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »
ReplyReply

Yes, absolutely a stunning image Michael. I'd love to see that printed large for sure...

-m

wolfnowl

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:43:55 AM »
ReplyReply

A great image indeed!

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
Rob C

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 02:54:05 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Ray
Having just read the article, I got the impression that the fundamental reason for icebergs being blue was the tendency for lightwaves of a lower frequency than blue (green to red) to excite the vibrational modes of water molecules, thus transforming their energy into a small amount of heat, which results in a shift in the balance of white light towards the blue end of the spectrum.

Blue water, per se, is about as likely as Blue Nun being blue as well. Blue Moon, however, is well-known to all and sundry, especially so to those denizens of Kentucky for whom it is much more familiar than Blue Bayou.

So yes, as I said before, I like a little magic.

Rob C

drew

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 05:57:09 AM »
ReplyReply

I read some of the article by Mark Dubovoy (all rights reserved) whilst also reading my horoscope and having a nice aromatherapy massage and a bit of acupuncture, but found it difficult to get beyond the first paragraph. I wonder when Mark is going to turn the extremely powerful laser of his intellect on the world's major religions?

Andrew Richards My Webpage
seany

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:26 AM »
ReplyReply

The self satisfaction Mark Dubovoy conveys in his article on the colour of icebergs is hard to knock, the problem is it lets people of a non scientific bent [myself] even more confused than they may have been before reading his article.This I believe is the common failing of most scientists when trying to explain their theories to the general public, they have not learned that less is more or that if they can't condense their explanations to one short sentence it will only serve to confuse.

This is not meant in a nasty sense just an opinion of one of a non scientific persuasion, my loss.
michael
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 06:44:24 AM »
ReplyReply

No disrespect intended, but sometimes the world can not be reduced to a simple sentence. Don't we have too much of that already on TV news?

Mark is a good friend, and he is also one of the clearest thinkers and best communicators that I know. This is one of the traits that I most value in him. His explanation of a complex topic is about as simple as I think it can be made, satisfying I believe both the layman as well as well as the more informed reader.

Michael
mahleu

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 07:05:18 AM »
ReplyReply

What colour would a cold Smurf go?

Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad