Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Apple 24" LED CD, NEC, Eizo for Photography??  (Read 17143 times)
Jerboa
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


« on: January 30, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Good day all,

I am looking for a monitor to pair with the 2009 Macbook Pro (MBP) for use with the Epson Pro 3800 printer. I have not found many reviews regarding the new Apple 24" LED Cinema Display, most likely due to the fact that it can only be used with the latest MBP's with Mini DisplayPort. If you have experience with this monitor, I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

I have also considered the NEC LCD2690W2-BK-SV, but was forced to strike it from the list due to the lack of compatibility (that may change) with the SpectraView software.

The other option is the Eizo CG241W-BK.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated...
Logged
Czornyj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1405



WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jerboa
Good day all,

I am looking for a monitor to pair with the 2009 Macbook Pro (MBP) for use with the Epson Pro 3800 printer. I have not found many reviews regarding the new Apple 24" LED Cinema Display, most likely due to the fact that it can only be used with the latest MBP's with Mini DisplayPort. If you have experience with this monitor, I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

I have also considered the NEC LCD2690W2-BK-SV, but was forced to strike it from the list due to the lack of compatibility (that may change) with the SpectraView software.

The other option is the Eizo CG241W-BK.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Get the 2690WQXi2 - the Spectraview II v. 1.1.0 that calibrates this panel is alredy there:
http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...s/SpectraView2/
Logged

Mark Y
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1


« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Czornyj
Get the 2690WQXi2 - the Spectraview II v. 1.1.0 that calibrates this panel is alredy there:
http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...s/SpectraView2/

As a second to the above posting...I went to Macworld in January and NEC was present. The NEC rep mentioned that 26" NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 backlite system is better in the long run to the LED options (LED color bulb drifting over time) out there and a very good price point around $1,200. NEC made an LED backlite monitor (MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED) but don't have this monitor on their site any longer.
The site is http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product...de-14309a636738 The warranty is four years! I like Apple stuff (currently using a HD cinema and Studio display side by side) but the NEC product is a serious consideration as a pre-press monitor. Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:33:00 PM by Mark Y » Logged
jackbingham
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 206


WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
ReplyReply

If you want long term flexibility with calibration software I would bet on the Eizo. If you like spectraview and plan on buying all NEC monitors in the future go with NEC. If you want the flexibility to use one calibration solution with many brands of monitors pick the Eizo. Not only is their hardware calibration strategy more bomb proof than anybody elses, they also support all third party calibration solutions.
Logged

Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Makers of Coloreyes Display
Czornyj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1405



WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:57:58 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jackbingham
If you want long term flexibility with calibration software I would bet on the Eizo. If you like spectraview and plan on buying all NEC monitors in the future go with NEC. If you want the flexibility to use one calibration solution with many brands of monitors pick the Eizo. Not only is their hardware calibration strategy more bomb proof than anybody elses, they also support all third party calibration solutions.

As a matter of fact, Spectraview also supports all common colorimeters & spectrophotometers. I also find an idea of custom tuned i1 colorimeter (SVII Pro kit) to be more appealing, than rebranded Spyder3.
Logged

trinityss
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 36


« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

There is a discussion going on about the new LED display on the colorsync list:
hxxp://lists.apple.com/archives/colorsync-users/2009/Jan/msg00086.html

"New Macbook glossy LED display calibration problem"


Kr,
Logged
jackbingham
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 206


WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »
ReplyReply


"As a matter of fact, Spectraview also supports all common colorimeters & spectrophotometers. I also find an idea of custom tuned i1 colorimeter (SVII Pro kit) to be more appealing, than rebranded Spyder3."

It's not a question of sensors, it's a question of monitors, NEC monitors- Spectraview only, any other monitor, another software solution.

And as for the spyder 3 it actually doesn't need to be custom tuned so again you have a device that would be more flexible, would you not?
Logged

Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Makers of Coloreyes Display
Jerboa
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Czornyj
Get the 2690WQXi2 - the Spectraview II v. 1.1.0 that calibrates this panel is alredy there:
http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...s/SpectraView2/
Hello everyone, thanks for the replies. If you look at the nec SVII link provided by Czornyj, scroll down to the red text and it reads:
"IMPORTANT COMPATIBILITY NOTICE:

    * The new 13-inch MacBook and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Mini DisplayPort video outputs released by Apple in October 2008 are not currently compatible with SpectraView when using either the DisplayPort to DVI adapter or the DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter from Apple. SpectraView will not be able to calibrate NEC monitors when connected to these Macs. NEC is currently working with Apple to try and resolve this issue.


    * The recent Mac OS 10.5.6 update release by Apple may prevent SpectraView from operating on PPC based Macs. Intel based Macs do not appear to be impacted. Customers with PPC based Macs are encouraged not to update to Mac OS 10.5.6 until Apple has resolved this issue. This update prevents SpectraView from being able to communicate with the display monitor."

For this reason I am now leaning to the Eizo. Thanks again for your assistance...
Logged
Czornyj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1405



WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jackbingham
It's not a question of sensors, it's a question of monitors, NEC monitors- Spectraview only, any other monitor, another software solution.

And as for the spyder 3 it actually doesn't need to be custom tuned so again you have a device that would be more flexible, would you not?

i1match profiler will work with Nec colorimeter, and you can also profile the other panels using Spectraview II, so that's not a problem.

I wouldn't be so sure about that flexibility of Spyder3 - just take a look at the previous post with link to colorsync discussion.
Logged

digitaldog
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 9085



WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:40:57 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Czornyj
I also find an idea of custom tuned i1 colorimeter (SVII Pro kit) to be more appealing, than rebranded Spyder3.

Absolutely! The best reference display systems from day one had custom tuned Colorimeters (Barco, PressView, Artisan).

http://www.lumita.com/site_media/work/whit...xrite-wp-3a.pdf
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:43:26 PM by digitaldog » Logged

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
a_krause
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 52


« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
ReplyReply

ok here is my question. how does the new  apple cinema display compare with the old ones? i have an older 23inch cinema display calibrated and  have a custom profiel made by digital dog and make great prints. If i have a controlled office where i work and can do retouchng withing a glare issue of the new apple 24" displays, then wouldnt i be happy with it?

Logged

graeme
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 286


« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:37:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: a_krause
ok here is my question. how does the new  apple cinema display compare with the old ones? i have an older 23inch cinema display calibrated and  have a custom profiel made by digital dog and make great prints. If i have a controlled office where i work and can do retouchng withing a glare issue of the new apple 24" displays, then wouldnt i be happy with it?

Review here: http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/reviews/inde...m?reviewid=2937

( I don't know how seriously you take Macworld ).

Regards

graeme
Logged
Czornyj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1405



WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: graeme

Fair review:
Quote
Expensive; glossy display doesn't offer accurate enough colour calibration for designers and photographers
I second that opinion.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:39:41 AM by Czornyj » Logged

jackbingham
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 206


WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 06:58:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: digitaldog
Absolutely! The best reference display systems from day one had custom tuned Colorimeters (Barco, PressView, Artisan).

http://www.lumita.com/site_media/work/whit...xrite-wp-3a.pdf

And we're pretty much talking ancient history here. Technology has evolved substantially since these.
Logged

Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Makers of Coloreyes Display
digitaldog
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 9085



WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 08:25:14 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jackbingham
And we're pretty much talking ancient history here. Technology has evolved substantially since these.

Nonsense! If anything, with the myriad of wider gamut displays and differing backlight illuminants (white LED), the idea that one colorimeter’s filter set is somehow ideal compared to a custom mated unit is silly talk. That's WHY NEC and others are mating custom sensors with their high end, integrated systems.

I'll see if the color scientist who designed two of the premier reference displays systems wants to argue with a software salesman....
Logged

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
jackbingham
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 206


WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: digitaldog
Nonsense! If anything, with the myriad of wider gamut displays and differing backlight illuminants (white LED), the idea that one colorimeter’s filter set is somehow ideal compared to a custom mated unit is silly talk. That's WHY NEC and others are mating custom sensors with their high end, integrated systems.

I'll see if the color scientist who designed two of the premier reference displays systems wants to argue with a software salesman....
So a new sensor for every new kind of monitor? I guess you like sensor sales people better? One should not necessarily assume that just because the eye one 2 requires a custom set, that there are not better answers.
Logged

Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Makers of Coloreyes Display
digitaldog
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 9085



WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jackbingham
So a new sensor for every new kind of monitor?

Read the article, its pretty clear.
Logged

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
Jerboa
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
ReplyReply

So...is there a known work-around for the 2009 Macbook Pro with SV and the NEC displays? My understanding is that SV allows the NEC display to perform at its best...is this correct? If there is something that I'm missing...please feel free to add to this discussion. Many thanks...
Logged
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2838



WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jerboa
Good day all,

I am looking for a monitor to pair with the 2009 Macbook Pro (MBP) for use with the Epson Pro 3800 printer. I have not found many reviews regarding the new Apple 24" LED Cinema Display, most likely due to the fact that it can only be used with the latest MBP's with Mini DisplayPort. If you have experience with this monitor, I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

I have also considered the NEC LCD2690W2-BK-SV, but was forced to strike it from the list due to the lack of compatibility (that may change) with the SpectraView software.

The other option is the Eizo CG241W-BK.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated...

I have the 24" Apple LED for use with my MacBook Pro.  I personally like the glossy screen in my MacBook because I find it is more useful in challenging lighting conditions.  The new monitor doesn't really bother me, but the gloss screen doesn't offer the same advantage.

I have had no problems calibrating it with an i1Pro and ColorMatch, and feel is is decent for working on images.  It is certainly not ideal, but in my case this isn't my primary photo editing station (which is with a 30" ACD) so the other features (plug and play with sound and iSight camera) are terrific.  Using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, my laptop becomes a desktop very quickly.  As to whether it is as good as Apples previous displays, I think it is close aside from the issue of the gloss screen and reflections which aren't that difficult to manage for me.  The LED backlight is more consistent and even, and personally I like the perceived increase in black level and saturation ... it more closely matches the results I get using the new papers designed for PK inks such as Epson Exhibition Fiber.


Logged

Jerboa
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 5


« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Wayne,
Thank you for sharing your first hand experience. Do you think the Apple 24" LED would be "passable" as your primary editing station?? I would also be using the i1Pro and ColorMatch with the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. May I ask how you like the results for printing b&w AND colour? I will be using the Epson 3800. Have you had success with other papers and this combination??
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad