Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Cork tiles for wall mounting  (Read 3314 times)
PeterAit
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1593



WWW
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »
ReplyReply

I want to set up a section of wall in my studio for viewing and evaluating photos - in effect a large bulletin board. I want to make a permanent installation by gluing tiles to the wall to cover a 7 x 5 foot area - but all the cork tiles I have been able to find are some variant on natural cork color, and I would prefer a neutral gray. Does anyone know of a source for such - or another option for mounting photos on a wall temporarily?

Thanks,

Peter
Logged

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2739



WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »
ReplyReply

You could cover the cork with a neutral gray woven fabric.

Perhaps mount the cork on a board, then stretch the fabric over the entire thing.


« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:15:07 PM by Wayne Fox » Logged

PeterAit
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1593



WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Wayne Fox
You could cover the cork with a neutral gray woven fabric.

Perhaps mount the cork on a board, then stretch the fabric over the entire thing.

Great idea, thanks!

Peter
Logged

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
routlaw
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 88


WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: PeterAit
I want to set up a section of wall in my studio for viewing and evaluating photos - in effect a large bulletin board. I want to make a permanent installation by gluing tiles to the wall to cover a 7 x 5 foot area - but all the cork tiles I have been able to find are some variant on natural cork color, and I would prefer a neutral gray. Does anyone know of a source for such - or another option for mounting photos on a wall temporarily?

Peter

I have found that sound board available from most lumber yards or home centers and available in 4x8 ft sheets works just as well if not better than cork and far less expensive. You can then paint the sheets any color you want, or also cover them with cloth. These sheets are usually a 1/2 inch thick.

Hope this helps

Rob
Logged
wolfnowl
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5582



WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »
ReplyReply

There are any number of companies selling cork floor tiles, and they come in just about every colour imaginable...

http://www.naturalcork.com/
http://www.apccork.com/index.html
http://www.corkfloor.com/
http://www.acousticorkusa.com/
http://www.sustainableflooring.com/
http://ecofriendlyflooring.com/
http://worldwide.wicanders.com/main.php
http://www.duro-design.com/
http://www.wecork.com/
http://www.bambooflooringhawaii.com/
http://www.capricork.com/
http://floor4you.com/

That should be enough for a start.

Mike.
Logged

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~


My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
PeterAit
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1593



WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: wolfnowl

Do you know for  fact that floor tiles are suitable for a tack board? The cork floor tiles I have in my house are very hard, being impregnated with some sort of compound to make them wear-resistant. I doubt that push-pins would go in easily, or that the holes would self-seal.

Peter
Logged

Peter
"Photographic technique is a means to an end, never the end itself."
View my photos at http://www.peteraitken.com
Peter McLennan
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1628


« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »
ReplyReply

My basement walls are styrofoam blocks.  I used what are called "ICFs", insulating concrete forms.  
Originally a puke yellow, I painted them with flat gray latex paint and it works fine for temporary print hanging.  I'm sure you could paint the cork, too.
Logged
wolfnowl
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5582



WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: PeterAit
Do you know for  fact that floor tiles are suitable for a tack board? The cork floor tiles I have in my house are very hard, being impregnated with some sort of compound to make them wear-resistant. I doubt that push-pins would go in easily, or that the holes would self-seal.

Hi Peter:  I don't know of anyone who impregnates cork floor tiles with anything.  It is common practice to coat them with a urethane or similar coating for waterproofing, but it sounds like what you are describing are properties of the cork itself.

Mike.

P.S.  There are two type of cork floors.  One is a tile of just cork, usually 3/4" thick.  The other is a system of layers, usually of wood (called an engineered floor), with a thin layer of cork on top.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:53:04 PM by wolfnowl » Logged

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~


My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad