Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Why are DxO DNG files so large?  (Read 9219 times)
JDClements

« on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:59 AM »
ReplyReply

I just started playing with DxO, and am seeing huge DNG files being produced. For example, I feed in a 30meg CR2 file, and I get an 82meg DNG file out the other end. Why is that? If I convert the same file inside Lightroom, I get a 28meg DNG file.

digitaldog

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: JDClements
I just started playing with DxO, and am seeing huge DNG files being produced. For example, I feed in a 30meg CR2 file, and I get an 82meg DNG file out the other end. Why is that? If I convert the same file inside Lightroom, I get a 28meg DNG file.

I think (and could be wrong), its because there's a big fat rendered data file in there, not a Raw (or might be Raw + rendered file).

A DNG isn't necessarily containing a non rendered, non demosic'ed data.

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
JDClements

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
ReplyReply

I just tried a test. I took a CR2 file into DxO and did some visible alterations, especially to the white balance and tint. When I take the resulting (huge) DNG file  into LR, my changes show up. The image looks exactly like I had it in DxO. Except, the WB and tint numbers on the LR sliders are NOT what they were set at in DxO. The LR dropdown says "As Shot".

Now, I look at the original CR2 file that I brought into LR, and the "as shot" WB and tint are different again.

francois

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »
ReplyReply

I just tried a test. I took a CR2 file into DxO and did some visible alterations, especially to the white balance and tint. When I take the resulting (huge) DNG file  into LR, my changes show up. The image looks exactly like I had it in DxO. Except, the WB and tint numbers on the LR sliders are NOT what they were set at in DxO. The LR dropdown says "As Shot".

Now, I look at the original CR2 file that I brought into LR, and the "as shot" WB and tint are different again.
I could well be wrong but I guess that DxO generates a new DNG file with R,G and B components. This could explain the ~3x big size than the original CR2 file.

Francois
Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »
ReplyReply

If you start this program and "process" the file, it creates a chart of the file structure, called filename.taglist.txt. Upload that file, it shows what is there, how large, which format. etc.

It is a Windows program, but it works under Windows simulators on Mac. I have not tested it on Vista.

Gabor
JDClements

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Panopeeper
If you start this program and "process" the file, it creates a chart of the file structure, called filename.taglist.txt. Upload that file, it shows what is there, how large, which format. etc.

It is a Windows program, but it works under Windows simulators on Mac. I have not tested it on Vista.

The program worked on Vista for the CR2 file (except that it closes itself with no message after running a file). But it does not recognize DxO's DNG file: "The image file specification is incomplete or unsupported"

JDClements

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: digitaldog
I think (and could be wrong), its because there's a big fat rendered data file in there, not a Raw (or might be Raw + rendered file).

A DNG isn't necessarily containing a non rendered, non demosic'ed data.

I am still finding the whole concept a little confusing, but this is what I think I understand:

> If LR takes a CR2 (or other) RAW file, and converts it to DNG, then it is still a RAW file, but in a different format. LR does the RAW conversion on the fly, as you view and work with the DNG images.

> If some other program (such as DxO) takes a RAW file, and converts it to DNG, it may no longer be a RAW file, but rather it is already converted. Somehow LR recognizes it, but is no longer acting as a RAW converter.

Is that right?

Panopeeper

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
ReplyReply

except that it closes itself with no message after running a file
That is meant so; this is a shortcut version of Rawnalyze, intended only to create a structure list.

But it does not recognize DxO's DNG file: "The image file specification is incomplete or unsupported"
That's ok; pls attach or upload the text file.

Gabor
JDClements

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Panopeeper
That's ok; pls attach or upload the text file.
Ah... there is a file there. Here it is.

Panopeeper

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
ReplyReply

This is a demosaiced, linear raw file, every pixel has three components @ 16bits; plus a full image size JPEG preview, over 4 MB. The raw data is compressed losslessly.

Gabor
digitaldog

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: francois
I could well be wrong but I guess that DxO generates a new DNG file with R,G and B components. This could explain the ~3x big size than the original CR2 file.

Exactly, its simply embedding a rendered RGB document NOT a Raw file within the DNG container. That explains the size and how LR could "see" the edits which would not be possible if the data were really Raw.

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
NikosR

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 03:10:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Check this thread:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....28285&st=20

Nikos
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to: