Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin : Matt or Gloss?

<< < (2/2)

Jim-St:
Quote from: howseth

Please, for the love of all humanity - and the continued safe orbit of our planet through the heavens, stop with the "discontinued" rumor already! It has never been confirmed - and the Hana. Rag Satin is available at all the paper vendors. It is my favorite paper.

That being said - on a Z3100 - the best setting I have found for this paper is for "thick fine art paper" (no gloss enhancer) It does, I believe use both PK and MK black inks. I would try the Velvet Fine Art on your Epson 3800 first.

Howard

Howard, I hope you're right - this is an attractive paper, and I think I'll be buying some large format stuff for use in the near future. Velvet Fine Art is right - Hahnemuhle settings guide says so

Quote from: JohnBrew

Hi Jim, I called a friend who prints Photo Rag Satin on a 3800. He says to hand feed the paper from the back and use Matte ink. He uses this for all his exhibition printing, he is a well-known professional, and his large prints are truly outstanding.
Good luck.

John - thanks very much for going out of your way to get me an answer - much appreciated, and it chimes with the other advice I've received here, as  Velvet Fine Art only loads in the rear feed. It seems curious that a paper so clearly not matte takes a matte ink, but the result is excellent, and I think I'll stick with it. I suspect that since this paper responds so well to MK, using PK would lead to loss of contrast and weaker blacks.

Thanks to you both, Howard and John

Jim

howseth:
[quote name='Jim-St' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:11 PM' post='261408']
Howard, I hope you're right - this is an attractive paper, and I think I'll be buying some large format stuff for use in the near future.

A follow-up on the status of this paper.

I contacted Hahnumuhle USA; the customer service manager, Holly Sechan, quickly e-mailed me back that the Photo Rag Satin is not being discontinued;

So, it was a false rumor - thank goodness...

Howard

Jim-St:
That's good news indeed, Howard

Thanks

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page