Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Which compact camera will produce best HD video?  (Read 27368 times)
Mark Regan
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 13


WWW
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:41:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello,
I'm looking for a compact camera that produces good HD video.
Can you point me to a specific model? ( Not bridge)
I was thinking about the Panasonic LX 3. It records in QuickTime Motion JPEG.
The newer Panasonic DMC-TZ7EG-S uses AVCHD Lite (??). Which one would be
better, especially with moving objects?
Thank you.
Logged
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Mark Regan
Hello,
I'm looking for a compact camera that produces good HD video.
Can you point me to a specific model? ( Not bridge)
I was thinking about the Panasonic LX 3. It records in QuickTime Motion JPEG.
The newer Panasonic DMC-TZ7EG-S uses AVCHD Lite (??). Which one would be
better, especially with moving objects?
Thank you.

I have the LX3 and TZ5, both HD, and the new TZ7 will replace the TZ5, not the LX3. The new TZ7 will undoubtedly do better, if for no other reason than it offers two different codecs. I find with the LX3 that it's very cumbersome to switch between stills and video, not because of the mode switch on top (the TZ7 has a separate film button which is a better design), but because the LX3 needs a different setting for EV and metering between video and stills, and changing those all the time is very inconvenient. So I do nearly all of my video with the TZ5.

Actually, I get the best video results with the LX3 in the same places I get the best LX3 stills - shooting indoors at meetings and conventions, in available light.
Logged
Mark Regan
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 13


WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for your answer. I just realised that a lot of exciting stuff is presented at PMA. I have to see first, before I decide ( tempted by Panasonic G1 HD)
Logged
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Mark Regan
Thanks for your answer. I just realised that a lot of exciting stuff is presented at PMA. I have to see first, before I decide ( tempted by Panasonic G1 HD)

If you don't mind paying 3 times as much, and carrying several times the weight, the GH1 will give *much* better quality, including more than double the HD video resolution (assuming it's 1080 not 720).
Logged
Er1kksen
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 154


« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: dalethorn
If you don't mind paying 3 times as much, and carrying several times the weight, the GH1 will give *much* better quality, including more than double the HD video resolution (assuming it's 1080 not 720).

It does 720 at 60fps and 1080 at 24fps. I would tend to suspect that the 720p quality from the GH1's sensor will be a good bit better than the LX3's as well, not to mention the greater flexibility and ability to play with dof.
Logged
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Er1kksen
It does 720 at 60fps and 1080 at 24fps. I would tend to suspect that the 720p quality from the GH1's sensor will be a good bit better than the LX3's as well, not to mention the greater flexibility and ability to play with dof.

Yes, and I've decided to get the GH1.  Even under very good lighting, you can see digital artifacts in the LX3 video, so I'm hoping for something cleaner.  Apparently, the GH1 is going to be issued in all cases with the 14-140 (35mm equiv. = 28-280 ) kit lens.  I would have preferred two lenses - like a 24-90 and 100-400 (again, in 35mm equiv.) but that's not going to happen.
Logged
dasheen
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1


« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 03:42:34 AM »
ReplyReply

I came across an excellent compact camera with full HD video and even slow motion video
here http://dasheen.hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-HD-Compact-Camera-With-Slow-Motion



Hello,
I'm looking for a compact camera that produces good HD video.
Can you point me to a specific model? ( Not bridge)
I was thinking about the Panasonic LX 3. It records in QuickTime Motion JPEG.
The newer Panasonic DMC-TZ7EG-S uses AVCHD Lite (??). Which one would be
better, especially with moving objects?
Thank you.
Logged
burrencrawler
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1


« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Three Cameras worth mentioning:
Canon SX-220
Sony DSC-HX 9V (with built in steadi cam, nice)
The Latest Canon G1 (out at the end of Feb 2012)
All 1080p
    The SONY one seems particularly good despite the huge Canon 7D type sensor on the G1.
Logged
jalcocer
Guest
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »
ReplyReply

I have the ELPH 100hs and it is a really nice camera, very good in low light and with pretty decent video. They say the 300hs is even better, although I don't see that much of a difference. There are new models available, the 310hs and the 110hs now with 1080 at 30fps. I was looking for something with 1080 the past holidays and the canons where the only ones with 1080 at that price point. If you want a compact digital with good video quality I guess you'll be good to go with these canons.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad