Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Epson 7900 or Canon IPF6100/6200  (Read 13672 times)
kuau
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 177


WWW
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »
ReplyReply

I am in the market for a new 24 inkjet printer.
I currently own a IPF8000 which I have been very happy with.
I print on Fredrix 901 Canvas, Canon Photo Rag paper, Somerset, and sometime Epson Heavy texture
I use to be a long time epson fan owning everything from the 9000/9500 to the 10600
then I jumped ship to canon when the 8000/9000 cameout.
But...
Now with the 7900 out and the 6100 being over 1.5 years old now is the 7900 "a better" printer then the 6100?
I can get a pretty good deal on a 6100 right now but the 7900 is to new for any deals yet.
Any thoughts
Logged

__________________________________________________________________________
Sinar arTec, Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI, 35, 70, 135mm Sinaron lenses,  HP Z3200 PS Printer
jdoyle1713
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 172



WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: kuau
I am in the market for a new 24 inkjet printer.
I currently own a IPF8000 which I have been very happy with.
I print on Fredrix 901 Canvas, Canon Photo Rag paper, Somerset, and sometime Epson Heavy texture
I use to be a long time epson fan owning everything from the 9000/9500 to the 10600
then I jumped ship to canon when the 8000/9000 cameout.
But...
Now with the 7900 out and the 6100 being over 1.5 years old now is the 7900 "a better" printer then the 6100?
I can get a pretty good deal on a 6100 right now but the 7900 is to new for any deals yet.
Any thoughts

Yes There is a Mail in rebate on the Epson 7900 & 9900 of 500.00 US There is 5K instant on the 11880
If you are interested in Upgrading to the canon IPF 9100 Or 8100 I have some good  promos on them as well..
HP has sometrade ins going on as well on the Z3200..

You can email or call me if you need more info..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
http://www.shadesofpaper.com
Logged

kuau
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 177


WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jdoyle1713
Yes There is a Mail in rebate on the Epson 7900 & 9900 of 500.00 US There is 5K instant on the 11880
If you are interested in Upgrading to the canon IPF 9100 Or 8100 I have some good  promos on them as well..
HP has sometrade ins going on as well on the Z3200..

You can email or call me if you need more info..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
http://www.shadesofpaper.com
Thanks Jim,
Looks like the 7900 is 1000.00 more then the 6100. I know this is a tough one to answer, but do you think it's "that" much better then what canon has to offer?

Steven
Logged

__________________________________________________________________________
Sinar arTec, Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI, 35, 70, 135mm Sinaron lenses,  HP Z3200 PS Printer
jdoyle1713
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 172



WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: kuau
Thanks Jim,
Looks like the 7900 is 1000.00 more then the 6100. I know this is a tough one to answer, but do you think it's "that" much better then what canon has to offer?

Steven

Tough one..The thing I dont like about the canon is the small ink carts.. I am a fan of the 700 ML Inks..So If we compare 24 inch models Than the Epson has the edge there..However 1K is still 1K the last time I looked..

I carry all three and I like the prints off of them all what it really boils down to is personal choice..
I Do know that the Canon x100 Has way better Blacks  than the x000 series So I Think the x100 is really close to the epson and the Orange and Green has pulled them both really close and boils down to profile IMHO..

Its still about the image!! I Like them both..

Cheers
Jim
http://www.shadesofaper.com
Logged

kuau
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 177


WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:07:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jdoyle1713
Tough one..The thing I dont like about the canon is the small ink carts.. I am a fan of the 700 ML Inks..So If we compare 24 inch models Than the Epson has the edge there..However 1K is still 1K the last time I looked..

I carry all three and I like the prints off of them all what it really boils down to is personal choice..
I Do know that the Canon x100 Has way better Blacks  than the x000 series So I Think the x100 is really close to the epson and the Orange and Green has pulled them both really close and boils down to profile IMHO..

Its still about the image!! I Like them both..

Cheers
Jim
http://www.shadesofaper.com

Yeah I know those 700ml carts art very tempting. One of the main reasons I jumped to Canon 2 years ago. Epson had nothing that cold compete speed wise and use of big carts ever since they dropped the 10600 line. But now with there new x900 series things have changed again.
I am convinced that any of these printers can produce excellent work in the hands of a skilled operator. I will give it some more thought.
Steven
Logged

__________________________________________________________________________
Sinar arTec, Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI, 35, 70, 135mm Sinaron lenses,  HP Z3200 PS Printer
Jim Pascoe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 743


WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:03:46 AM »
ReplyReply

I have had an ipf6100 for exactly a year and it has been a great printer.  The ink cartridges seem to be fine in size for me, but of course that depends on your volume!
So far I have used about twelve 30-metre rolls of oyster, plus a couple of rolls or canvas, plus thousands of A4 and A3 sheets.  Most of the colours are on their 2nd or 3rd
change except the grey, which is on it's 9th!

Reliability has been excellent.  It does the odd nozzle check, but I have not had one bad print yet.  The maintenance tank is flagged as needing to be changed soon.

Print quality is really good.  My previous printer was an Epson 4000, which could make good prints, but wasted half of my ink and time doing head cleaning.

Jim

ps.  It is also very fast.
Logged
Jim Pascoe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 743


WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:31:36 AM »
ReplyReply

As an update, by coincidence I have just had to change the maintenance tank for the first time after one year of use.  I weighed the old and new, and the difference was 470 grammes, which I suppose is about half a litre of ink used in head cleans.  This is a lot less than the old 4000 I used to have.  I do believe the newer Epsons are a lot better though.

Jim
Logged
kuau
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 177


WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
As an update, by coincidence I have just had to change the maintenance tank for the first time after one year of use.  I weighed the old and new, and the difference was 470 grammes, which I suppose is about half a litre of ink used in head cleans.  This is a lot less than the old 4000 I used to have.  I do believe the newer Epsons are a lot better though.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
Unless someone can come up with a really good reason to go Epson and spend the extra $1000.00 looks like canon is the way to go.
I guess I was wondering to see if anyone with a 7900/9900 could make the claim that the print quality has gone up even more then whats currently out there.
Sounds like what epson has done has "fixed" the complaints about there earlier printers, ie, black ink swap, nozzel clogs, larger carts and more nozzels for faster outout and print quality is pretty much the same.
Any thoughts?

Steven
Logged

__________________________________________________________________________
Sinar arTec, Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI, 35, 70, 135mm Sinaron lenses,  HP Z3200 PS Printer
nemophoto
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 478



WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
ReplyReply

I've had Epson printers for years. The last 24" was a 7000, and I still own a 4000. I was nervous about jumping to Canon, but am extremely pleased with iPF6100 I bought last summer. At this point, the 4000 is gathering dust, the 7000 is up for sale (I'd used it exclusively with the Cone Piezography inks, for which is was excellent). The Canon has been problem free and frugal in its use of inks. Other than the Photo Gray and Gray inks (I do a lot of B&W printing), I'm still working with the original starter ink carts. Remember that while the new 7900 may take 700ml carts, those cart ARE NOT CHEAP. For the Canon alone, an entire set of 12 130ml ink carts is close to $950. For the Epson, a complete set of 11 carts costs: 150ml=$990, 350ml=$1760, 700ml=$3080.

Though the 6100 is "older", the technology isn't changing as rapidly as ink technology. The current ink set produces excellent results, and especially good B&W prints. As a final thought, when it comes to printers, think of razors and razor blades. The printer is almost a loss leader (especially consumer models), and a vehicle for selling ink. I'd chose the model that seems most frugal when it comes to ink, all othe factors being equal. At the moment, that seems to be Canon.
Logged

abiggs
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 542



WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »
ReplyReply

I move to a Canon 8100 last year, and it has been a great experience. My only wish for any 44" printer would be better cut sheet capability. I wish the 8100 had the same manual tray that the 6100 has. Nifty little device. As far as quality goes, I am getting deeper blacks than I used to get on my Epsons, but those Epsons are now a generation older. $1000 is $1000, and I would likely go with the Canon.
Logged

Andy Biggs
http://www.andybiggs.com
Africa Photo Safaris | Workshops | Fine Art Prints
Jeff Magidson
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 136


WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 01:55:57 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm in the same situation. I'm looking to purchase a 24" machine and trying to decide between the IPF6100 and the Epson 7900. I currently own a Epson 3800 ( love it - best printer I have ever owned ) that I want to run along the new 24" printer. I'm aiming for color consistency. I want to be able to make small prints on the 3800 and if needed at another time make larger prints on the new 24" machine without having to make many image adjustments to the file. Does anyone out there know if is it realistic to think I could do this running the Epson 3800 & the Canon 6100? With proper profiles can I expect color consistency across the 2 brands?

Thanks

-Jeff

Logged

Dan Wells
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 330


WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
ReplyReply

I recently chose an iPF6100 over the Epsons in exactly the same situation, and am very happy with it...

                        -Dan
           


Logged
mcmorrison
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 152


« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello,

I have an 8100 and it has been awesome. I haven't had a high-end Epson, so can't do a direct comparison, but two things give me minor Epson-envy: the 8100 is HEAVY, and the Epsons seem lighter. Not always an issue, but my office is upstairs (no elevator) around the corner, and through a couple tight doorways. Any temptations I have to move locations are rapidly subdued by the thought of moving the 8100. The other issue is that the paper cutting on the Canon while fine for most papers, fails on some heavy papers like HPR or IGFS so I must manually cut these and deal with the ragged edges I make rather than the nice clean edges of the printer's cutter. I have seen the 11800 cut, using an independent knife rather than a print-head-mounted roller blade and think of this every time someone orders an IGFS roll print.  

All said, I am still a Canon fan, and would probably buy the 6100 if I were in the market for a 24". Prints are excellent, reliability is great, quirks are mostly tractable.

Best,  Michael Morrison
Logged
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2808



WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »
ReplyReply

I moved from an ipf6100 to the Epson 7900, and feel it's output is slightly better and overall like the Epson quite a bit better.

Edit:  Thought I should add that I do think the Canon is a really good printer and have no real complaints.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:52:39 PM by Wayne Fox » Logged

kuau
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 177


WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:31 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I moved from an ipf6100 to the Epson 7900, and feel it's output is slightly better and overall like the Epson quite a bit better.

Edit:  Thought I should add that I do think the Canon is a really good printer and have no real complaints.
Wayne,
How is the paper handling for sheets on the 7900 compared to the 6100?
How about the speed in comparison?
Do you feel it's "$1000.00" better then the 6100?
Thanks

Steven
Logged

__________________________________________________________________________
Sinar arTec, Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI, 35, 70, 135mm Sinaron lenses,  HP Z3200 PS Printer
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2808



WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 01:55:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: kuau
Wayne,
How is the paper handling for sheets on the 7900 compared to the 6100?
How about the speed in comparison?
Do you feel it's "$1000.00" better then the 6100?
Thanks

Steven

Epson's paper path is very straight.  Loading sheets is a snap.  Heavy roll paper is easier to manage.  The 7900/9900 no longer require a "spindle" sticking through the entire roll, and to switch from 2" to 3" cores takes a simple click. (terrific roll feed system).

I wrote an article comparing the speed of the 11880 to the Canon ipf6100 a while back.  you can find it in this thread  

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....l=ipf6100+speed

My conclusion was when printing at comparable quality settings, the 11880 was faster.  According to Epson specs, the 79/9900 printers are faster than the 11880.

As to whether it's worth $1k more ... personally I believe it is, and if you print a lot, you may very well save that much in ink costs using the high capacity ink cartridges.

The ipf6100 is a great printer, but I really like this 7900.
Logged

dwood
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 273



« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »
ReplyReply

I have no doubt that the 7900 produces excellent prints. On paper, there's a lot to like about this printer. In fact, when I was researching printers recently, I thought long and hard about the 7900. I might add that I read what Wayne had to say about the 7900 on his website and on other threads here. BTW, Wayne's site is a good resource to visit on a number of topics, and he also has some lovely images. Anyway, in the end, I decided to buy a Canon 8100 from the good folks at Shades of Paper. For close to the same price as the going rate on a 7900, I got a 44" printer with 330ml tanks. I also have a sense that I won't be dealing with some of the problems that a number of 7900 owners here have encountered. My recently retired 5100 was a workhorse and worry free from day one. I think Canon's done a pretty good job engineering these printers. Stuff to consider, perhaps.
Logged

Bartone
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 48


WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
ReplyReply

I picked up an iPF6100 (from Shades of Paper), and I'm a very happy camper.
bartone
Logged
jpgentry
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 197


« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 07:22:57 PM »
ReplyReply

If money is no object look at the Epson.  If you want the best output and support at the best price go with Canon.  I've had three so far, from 17" to 60" and they have been great.  Also Shades of Paper really is a great place to buy from.

-Jonathan
Logged
signmaster
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 6


« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 05:53:25 AM »
ReplyReply

If you are going to leave your printer unused for any length of time go for the Canon. I have a IPF6100 and have found it to be excellent. The internal calibration feature enables you to use off the shelf profiles with confidence. I have only had smaller epsons, R1800 and R800. I have sold one on Ebay (as is for spare parts) and the other is to follow. Nothing but blocked heads, cost me a fortune in wasted inks. The bigger machines may be a lot better. I love the Black & White prints from the IPF6100. My only regret is that I should have purchased a larger model.
Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad