Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: LARGE FORMAT CAMERA MPP  (Read 5002 times)
zetra
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 20


« on: February 28, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Have anybody heard about the Britain LF camera MPP ? What does it like?
Logged
250swb
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 211


« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Do you mean the MPP 'press' cameras that were similar to the large format folding Linhof cameras in design?

If so they are excellent 5x4 format cameras, enough movements for general work (landscape etc), and they are very adaptable for lenses etc. They are also very well made and not a burden to carry for landscape work. At the same time I have seen MPP still used as 'journalistic' cameras (perhaps within an 'art' context) in the field until very recently.

Steve
Logged

Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12213


« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:22:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: 250swb
Do you mean the MPP 'press' cameras that were similar to the large format folding Linhof cameras in design?

If so they are excellent 5x4 format cameras, enough movements for general work (landscape etc), and they are very adaptable for lenses etc. They are also very well made and not a burden to carry for landscape work. At the same time I have seen MPP still used as 'journalistic' cameras (perhaps within an 'art' context) in the field until very recently.

Steve


They were the currency in the photo unit I started out in during 1960... wow!

As I recall, they went up to Mark 7 or perhaps Mark 8 as models. They were indeed strongly built, but as with other such cameras, did not have much back movement, just some limited play where the back could be pulled out fom the main frame by a small amount. Depending on what youŽd like to do, IŽd still look for a monorail, by preference, and the MPP is VERY heavy if you need to carry it any distance.

Rob C
Logged

Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12213


« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:23:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: 250swb
Do you mean the MPP 'press' cameras that were similar to the large format folding Linhof cameras in design?

If so they are excellent 5x4 format cameras, enough movements for general work (landscape etc), and they are very adaptable for lenses etc. They are also very well made and not a burden to carry for landscape work. At the same time I have seen MPP still used as 'journalistic' cameras (perhaps within an 'art' context) in the field until very recently.

Steve


Sorry, double post.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:24:20 AM by Rob C » Logged

zetra
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 20


« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:26:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks to all. I am looking to buy some good field folding 4x5 camera. I have not experience with LF cameras but I would like to move from DSLR to LF and I am wondering between Tachihara and Shen Hao but recently one offer to me to buy a MPP for around $ 1100 with two lens - 90mm/8 and 150/4.5. Is it reasonable to buy it??? or to buy a new Shen hao with old lenses?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:45:18 AM by zetra » Logged
Chris_Brown
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 782



WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: zetra
I am looking to buy some good field folding 4x5 camera. I have not experience with LF cameras but I would like to move from DSLR to LF and I am wondering between Tachihara and Shen Hao but recently one offer to me to buy a MPP for around $ 1100 with two lens - 90mm/8 and 150/4.5. Is it reasonable to buy it??? or to buy a new Shen hao with old lenses?
It sounds like you will be using film and not a digital back. If so, the two most important things are the stability of the standards and the quality of the lenses. The next most important item is scanning the images, but that's an entirely different topic.

Compared to studio view cameras, field or press cameras typically have limited movements on the rear standard, usually only swings and tilts but no rise & fall. The front standards usually have rise & fall, swing & tilts but this varies from brand to brand. This is because it is designed to be portable. No matter what features a camera has, it's important that the camera has solid standards that don't move or flex at the hinge point once it's locked down (If you find a used wooden student model you'll see what I mean). Standards that are not fully secure will cause unreliable, inaccurate focus.

An excellent field camera is the Toyo 45AX. It folds up into a very small, hand held unit which protects the standards from damage. It doesn't fold up with the lens attached, though.

As for lenses, you can't go wrong with either German brands of Rodenstock and Schneider. I wouldn't take a chance on Shen Hao lenses unless you can get a side-by-side comparison.
Logged

~ CB
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12213


« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »
ReplyReply

If you just want some limited movements, as with the MPP, then why not consider the baby Linhof? You would be able to use great roll-film backs and still have a great negative/transparency to kick off with. And, hand-holding would be much easier to do and the system lighter to carry.

And Chris is right: these things do wear out and you are speaking of a rather old camera at best!

Rob C
Logged

zetra
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 20


« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »
ReplyReply

What about Toyo Aii ? Is it much heavier then Toyo 45AX? I have not any idea from where to buy some in reasonable price?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:07:02 PM by zetra » Logged
Chris_Brown
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 782



WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: zetra
What about Toyo Aii ? Is it much heavier then Toyo 45AX? I have not any idea from where to buy some in reasonable price?
The Toyo 45AII has a few features that increase its price and weight. The 90˚ rotating back is a feature found on their premier cameras, but I don't know how much this is actually needed in the field. A list of dealers can be found here.
Logged

~ CB
AJSJones
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 353



« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Zetra, here is a great resource for anyone beginning to consider LF in general.  There's also a very active forum and a "Buy and sell" section.
Logged
250swb
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 211


« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 02:56:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: zetra
Thanks to all. I am looking to buy some good field folding 4x5 camera. I have not experience with LF cameras but I would like to move from DSLR to LF and I am wondering between Tachihara and Shen Hao but recently one offer to me to buy a MPP for around $ 1100 with two lens - 90mm/8 and 150/4.5. Is it reasonable to buy it??? or to buy a new Shen hao with old lenses?

Ahh well in that case I would definitely recommend one of the current Ebony field cameras. They will be more portable than the MPP.

Steve
Logged

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad