Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Image theft  (Read 9687 times)
jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3078



WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 05:54:07 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Petrjay
Don't let it throw you Peter. He/she/it is one of those creatures that it just doesn't pay to be nice to. Count your blessings. How'd you like to live with someone like that?
He wasn't being nice, he was being patronising there's a difference.
And will certainly admit to not suffering fools gladly.
Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 09:09:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: alainbriot
On the internet image misappropriation is common.  The challenge is finding if your images were used by someone without permission.
This site can help you find that out:
tineye.com/
Upload or enter the link to one of your photographs and see what you find.

I was almost amazed, until I tried it and got the "zero results" counter.  Here's a quote from the website:

"TinEye looks for the specific image you uploaded, not the content of the image."

So if they can't ID on content (sigh) then all the thief has to do is rename the file?  I must be missing something.
Logged
lightstand
Guest
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: kikashi
Theft is the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of the property. You were not deprived of property, permanently or transiently, and there was therefore no theft.

Will the Photographer be able to license any of those images as exclusive? That is depriving him of a source of income. What if the photographer didn't want his work associated with that publication? Would you want your images published on a right wing publication with stories about zero need for environmental protection with a gallery of your landscapes next to it? Quite frankly my bet is if a publication were to stoop to this level I would almost for sure not want my name associated with them. And I'll take all the help I can get.

"dishonest appropriation of property" How can not informing "asking" the photographer or author not be dishonest appropriation, especially when they have the photographer's name? Newspapers & magazines are very professional they deal with licensing content every day of the week to think it's an oversight is not even naive it's self blinded. they were counting on the photographer to have the same ill informed opinion as most people who don't value their work. "Ohh it's just  good publicity" Having hundreds of images published and talking with many very successful photographers this is just not the case unless the publication it self is of stature a byline is just not going to bring in work and should not be considered adequate compensation for usage.

The sad fact is there is nothing a photographer can do as a photographer he must seek counsel and ask himself if he is prepared to be David against Goliath?  But I must say i am just so incredibly astonished by a lot of the replies this board gets on this subject?  
Logged
Nick Rains
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 700



WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 11:35:24 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: lightstand
The sad fact is there is nothing a photographer can do as a photographer he must seek counsel and ask himself if he is prepared to be David against Goliath?  But I must say i am just so incredibly astonished by a lot of the replies this board gets on this subject?

This is a sad fact of life in the online world - the copyright infringement, not the childish name calling. And legally it's not theft, like the man said it's a copyright infringement. You still have the image to exploit in any way you see fit.

Send them an invoice, don't ask first, just invoice them for use of n images for x months, say US100 per image per year. They might even pay you, it has worked for me in the past.

If they don't pay then maybe insist on removing the image, but you have zero chance of any compensation because you have suffered no demonstrable damage. Only where there has been actual and provable commercial damage is there any point in lawyering up. Culprit will often also simply claim 'fair use' since they credited image correctly.

It's actually cost you nothing, so far, and will likely happen again. No-one is condoning it, certainly not me, but it's happened enough to me not to lose sleep or get my dudgeon up over such annoyances.

Ask yourself this - is it possible you could have benefited in some way from such exposure on a major newspaper's website? If you have a list of clients or published work, adding a named major newspaper cannot hurt.
Logged

Nick Rains
Australian Landscape Photographer
www.nickrains.com
iPad Publishing
www.photique.com.au
stamper
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2391


« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 03:37:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
Why should they be allowed to use my work without paying? This is a major national newpaper, with deep pockets who would be very annoyed and broke if people took copies off newstand without paying. I could argue that I could shoplift to make up for lack of earnings, as no-one actually is harmed by my actions.
I find it odd that some photographers seem to think it OK for big businesses to simply help themselves to photographer's work.
And no I haven't benefitted. Two reasons - I would have discovered the images earlier if they had gained me work, the only work I been asked to do from that country was from someone who saw my work in another country altogether.

Being pragmatic to my mind is charging them for the usage.

It looks like you aren't interested in any of the advice given. It would be better if you tried to understand the various answers? You did after all ask for opinions?
Logged

feppe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2907

Oh this shows up in here!


WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 05:36:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: dalethorn
I was almost amazed, until I tried it and got the "zero results" counter.  Here's a quote from the website:

"TinEye looks for the specific image you uploaded, not the content of the image."

So if they can't ID on content (sigh) then all the thief has to do is rename the file?  I must be missing something.

Their website is light on technical details, but it appears to hash the image contents. What they are trying to say is that it doesn't look if the image is of President Obama or Aunt Lilly, but at the data itself in the image. In other words it would match different versions of the now-iconic Che Guevara-esque Obama image, but would not group it along with realistic photographic renditions of him.

If you look at the examples page, the algorithm seems to be quite sophisticated as it catches quite drastic aterations and partials of an image.

It's a very cool tech. And it will have very... interesting repercussions when Google acquires it - any image where your face is on the web could be instantly connected to you, no matter what the context...
Logged

feppe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2907

Oh this shows up in here!


WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 05:45:27 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: lightstand
The sad fact is there is nothing a photographer can do as a photographer he must seek counsel and ask himself if he is prepared to be David against Goliath?  But I must say i am just so incredibly astonished by a lot of the replies this board gets on this subject?

What kind of advice did you expect? If jjj has the money to spend on lawyers, and the mental fortitude for a possibly fruitless and likely protracted legal battle with little to no financial benefit, by all means, go and be David. If that's the case, he doesn't need advice from photographers, he needs advice from an army of trained attack lawyers. And for the record, I am convinced that only people winning in that scenario are the lawyers.

Photographers will offer very different advice which is based on their own response to what they would do in jjj's shoes, which I think in most cases above is prudent: send a polite email for take-down notice, link-back, or just invoice them.

It's not a perfect world, but don't blame the messengers.
Logged

jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3078



WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Nick Rains
Send them an invoice, don't ask first, just invoice them for use of n images for x months, say US100 per image per year. They might even pay you, it has worked for me in the past.
This was my first thought and very probably what I will do. Do you also charge extra for using without permission?

Quote
Ask yourself this - is it possible you could have benefited in some way from such exposure on a major newspaper's website? If you have a list of clients or published work, adding a named major newspaper cannot hurt.
No benefit  - The only work I've had from the country in question, was from someone who had seen my work in a different country again.
I'll certainly add them to the client list - once they've paid me!


Jeremy - I realise theft is not the legal term, but image theft/images stolen is the ordinary language now commonly used to describe copyright infringement.
Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: feppe
Their website is light on technical details, but it appears to hash the image contents. What they are trying to say is that it doesn't look if the image is of President Obama or Aunt Lilly, but at the data itself in the image. In other words it would match different versions of the now-iconic Che Guevara-esque Obama image, but would not group it along with realistic photographic renditions of him.
If you look at the examples page, the algorithm seems to be quite sophisticated as it catches quite drastic aterations and partials of an image.
It's a very cool tech. And it will have very... interesting repercussions when Google acquires it - any image where your face is on the web could be instantly connected to you, no matter what the context...

This is really great if that's what they do. I hope this leads to a Google-like search engine for images - not by title, description, etc., but by contents. Like "find all images of coyboys wearing a red shirt and any color scarf."  And then, of course, the movie databases....
Logged
jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3078



WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: lightstand
Will the Photographer be able to license any of those images as exclusive? That is depriving him of a source of income.
Actually that is a very good point. I did have some plans for those images which included published exclusivity.
Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3078



WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: dalethorn
This is really great if that's what they do. I hope this leads to a Google-like search engine for images - not by title, description, etc., but by contents. Like "find all images of coyboys wearing a red shirt and any color scarf."  And then, of course, the movie databases....
TinEye analyses actual image's makeup and looks for other images that match. Searching by description is a level of AI that is very along way off.
Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
feppe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2907

Oh this shows up in here!


WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
TinEye analyses actual image's makeup and looks for other images that match. Searching by description is a level of AI that is very along way off.

Indeed. TinEye is definitely one step towards that goal since it appears to group similar but not necessarily identical images together without user intervention. But true pattern recognition is several orders of magnitude more complex - hell, we're not even close to computers which parse simple questions properly.

Nevertheless, TinEye in its current incarnation is already suitable to find all images of your neighbor online and linking them back to that person. Give a near-future version of TinEye a picture of your neighbor and you'll get all instances of that person appearing online, no matter how unflattering the context is. Combine that with all other publicly available information - address, schooling, CV, associates, church group, etc. - will yield a very valuable database. This will bring David Brin's Transparent Society closer to reality. I'm not exactly looking forward to that...
Logged

kikashi
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3670



« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
Jeremy - I realise theft is not the legal term, but image theft/images stolen is the ordinary language now commonly used to describe copyright infringement.
Yes, you're right: it is. But if anyone is seriously thinking about resorting to the law (and I realise that wasn't your suggestion) it's vital to get the terms right: precision in the use of language is just as important to lawyers as sharp focus is to photographers!

It's particularly important here, because of course theft is a criminal offence, whereas breach of copyright is (I think) a purely civil matter.

Jeremy
Logged
JohnKoerner
Guest
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
He wasn't being nice, he was being patronising there's a difference.

They were being nice. Your weakness and anger merely did not allow you to see their being nice (and good advice) for what it was. I believe the message that was being conveyed was this:

"If Life hands you a lemon, don't waste your time complaining about how sour it tastes; instead get busy adding some sugar and turning it into lemonade ...




Quote from: jjj
And will certainly admit to not suffering fools gladly.

Good Lord, JJ, how on earth do you live with yourself





.
Logged
jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3078



WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 07:06:54 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: JohnKoerner
They were being nice. Your weakness and anger merely did not allow you to see their being nice (and good advice) for what it was.
Some posters were helpful and some were patronising there's a difference. Anyway you're the Mr Angry of LL and I have no desire to steal your position.


Quote
Good Lord, JJ, how on earth do you live with yourself .
Obviously you cannot live without me, as now your daft [your favourite word] thread on 'photography' has been closed you come here to contibute nothing and simply be bitchy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:09:00 PM by jjj » Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
JohnKoerner
Guest
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
Some posters were helpful and some were patronising there's a difference. Anyway you're the Mr Angry of LL and I have no desire to steal your position.

Angry? LOL, how ironic is that. In your own anger, you have ignored the same basic good advice 3x now. And that is, rather than come at the newspaper "angry" and as an enemy, come at them as a "friend" who's aware of the transgression, and who merely asks for a link back to your site. Do you not think their greater traffic might not be of ultimate benefit to you?

Or, as another mentioned, simply let them know you know how long they've been using your images, and politely send a statement for the compensation for your services. The point is, if you come at them nice, it might actually be prove to be of great benefit for you. If you come at them (ahem) angry, at best they will just take the photos down and you get nothing.

I actually didn't come here angry in the least; I came here poking fun and having a laugh. I forgot you were so sensitive




Quote from: jjj
Obviously you cannot live without me, as now your daft [your favourite word] thread on 'photography' has been closed you come here to contibute nothing and simply be bitchy.

LOL, this is the first time I have ever initiated a dialogue with you. The last 40+ times we have conversed, you have been the one to initiate

And I actually did contribute something ... a fine parallel highlighting the "turn lemons-into-lemonade" approach that has thrice-now been recommended to you over your "declare war" approach. Unfortunately it is you who are still too bitchy to get it  

In all honestly, JJJ, I wish you good luck in your efforts.

Jack


.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:25:20 PM by JohnKoerner » Logged
jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3078



WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: JohnKoerner
Angry? LOL, how ironic is that. In your own anger, you have ignored the same basic good advice 3x now. And that is, rather than come at the newspaper "angry" and as an enemy, come at them as a "friend" who's aware of the transgression, and who merely asks for a link back to your site. Do you not think their greater traffic might not be of ultimate benefit to you?
Ever occur to you to read try and read posts in a thread before responding? The paper credited me correctly with my details, that's how I found them. It's in the very first post. Duh! Didn't increase my bottom line at all.

Quote
Or, as another mentioned, simply let them know you know how long they've been using your images, and politely send a statement for the compensation for your services. The point is, if you come at them nice, it might actually be prove to be of great benefit for you. If you come at them (ahem) angry, at best they will just take the photos down and you get nothing.
I do intend invoicing them and why would I not be polite about it, I'm not you? Again try reading thread and do not make silly assumptions, as you will only look like a fool, just as you have done previously.

Quote
I actually didn't come here angry in the least; I came here poking fun and having a laugh. I forgot you were so sensitive
No you came here stirring and talking ignorant nonsense with the usual childish insults and all without even reading posts properly - as usual.  Have I mentioned you have reading difficulties before? You are the one who admits to anger issues and seem to have a seriously pathetic macho attitude. Do not assume everyone is like you.  Notice I'm repeating myself a lot -  as you only partially read posts, this way there's slightly more chance of you getting point.


Quote
LOL, this is the first time I have ever initiated a dialogue with you. The last 40+ times we have conversed, you have been the one to initiate
Is it nice out there in fluffy fluffy land?


Quote
And I actually did contribute something ... a fine parallel highlighting the "turn lemons-into-lemonade" approach that has thrice-now been recommended to you over your "declare war" approach. Unfortunately it is you who are still too bitchy to get it
Being a doormat will only increase the rate at which photographers get trampled on even more. Some companies/magazines are known to take images without permission as it is cheaper for them to be sued occasionally that pay up. Why shouldn't I charge them for them my work, that is not declaring war as you dumbly put it, that's simply charging them for my work? How naive are you?
If I was to take their paper off the newstands and not pay for it, I'm sure the police would not have much time for me if I claimed that I would recommend the paper to my friends. Who may also just steal paper and not buy it.

An old signature of mine used to be "Please read all the words in my post and preferably in the correct order". It hasn't seemed necessary on this forum as most people can read and debate intelligently. I may have to resurrect it for your benefit. The irony being, those that it is aimed at don't read/understand it anyway.
Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
Pages: « 1 [2]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad