Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 11905 times)
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« on: March 08, 2009, 05:03:12 AM »
ReplyReply

I was cleaning out the fireplace this morning, just after reading some of the latest rubbish about photographic integrity, when my mind wandered off into thinking of ways by which I might be able to avoid the chore of cleaning said fireplace. In the process, the mind (mine) tuned in to an image of Superman. Now he, I thought, would fix this for me at once - must see about getting in touch. Then the idea morphed into another; why the hell should he be considered a great American (okay, Krypton is no more, so it COULD have been American - we shall never know) Hero?

Letīs face it: anybody who can fly, has unlimited strength, can pop in and out of telephone booths with all the ease of Doctor Who damn well should be able to do all the things that he does. Where is the heroic element? Doesnīt heroism depend on risk to the hero?

Rob C

PS Letīs not allow this to become the CanNik war of the over-muscled.
Logged

mahleu
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 564


WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:02:20 AM »
ReplyReply

I think that's the difference between superhero and hero. A superhero has powers where as a hero does heroic things?
Logged

______________________________________________________________________
Anyone selling a 1DSIII or 6D cheap?
DarkPenguin
Guest
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Rob C
I was cleaning out the fireplace this morning, just after reading some of the latest rubbish about photographic integrity, when my mind wandered off into thinking of ways by which I might be able to avoid the chore of cleaning said fireplace. In the process, the mind (mine) tuned in to an image of Superman. Now he, I thought, would fix this for me at once - must see about getting in touch. Then the idea morphed into another; why the hell should he be considered a great American (okay, Krypton is no more, so it COULD have been American - we shall never know) Hero?

Letīs face it: anybody who can fly, has unlimited strength, can pop in and out of telephone booths with all the ease of Doctor Who damn well should be able to do all the things that he does. Where is the heroic element? Doesnīt heroism depend on risk to the hero?

Anyone who can do all that can damn well be called whatever he wants to be called.

Logged
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Anyone who can do all that can damn well be called whatever he wants to be called.

You have a point. I used to have a yen for Mary Marvel; I wonder if she was big in Japan?

Rob C
Logged

tom b
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 869


WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Rob C
Then the idea morphed into another; why the hell should he be considered a great American (okay, Krypton is no more, so it COULD have been American - we shall never know) Hero?

Rob C

PS Letīs not allow this to become the CanNik war of the over-muscled.

American? I thought he was an illegal alien.

Logged

Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: tom  b
American? I thought he was an illegal alien.


Now thatīs the problem: was he illegal? I think that according to international conventions, if your planet blows up, then you are entitled to become a refugee; itīs being an economic refugee that is illegal, unless, of course, you hop over the English Channel on the back of a truck and a bleedinī heart lawyer takes you under her wing.

 You are not allowed to call an alien an alien; that could be damaging to his/her self-esteem.

Rob C
Logged

dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Superman?  Yeah, he's OK.
Logged
EasyEd
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 28


« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Hey All,

John Wayne

Nothing more ever needs to be said.

-Ed-
Logged
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:45:48 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EasyEd
Hey All,

John Wayne

Nothing more ever needs to be said.

-Ed-


Sorry, he doesnīt qualify: you could always see him trying to think - held him back.

Rob C
Logged

dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EasyEd
Hey All,
John Wayne
Nothing more ever needs to be said.
-Ed-

Visiting a couple years ago with Navajo relatives in Dennehotso AZ - grandpa had a large framed portrait of The Duke on his living room wall.  I don't know if this was just some fan appreciation, or whether Wayne visited there during filming (grandpa speaks only Navajo so I didn't ask), but what I see from several of his movies is a good character who appreciates people and brings out the best in them.  Except for the bad guys, of course.
Logged
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: dalethorn
Superman?  Yeah, he's OK.

Speaking as an ex-fashion snapper, and hoping that I offend nobody, the top that Mrs Superman is wearing is an extremely poor fit: the ībra section is for a tiny lady which she clearly is not; the body part is for a somewhat different set of rib structures... This is NOT the stuff of Superheroes and certainly couldnīt have come from Central Casting.

Rob C
Logged

dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Rob C
Speaking as an ex-fashion snapper, and hoping that I offend nobody, the top that Mrs Superman is wearing is an extremely poor fit: the ībra section is for a tiny lady which she clearly is not; the body part is for a somewhat different set of rib structures... This is NOT the stuff of Superheroes and certainly couldnīt have come from Central Casting.
Rob C

This casting was more like unemployed-artist-gets-girlfriend-in-costume and has her doing the tips-and-photos bit in front of Mann's Chinese on H'Wood Blvd.

It's amusing - the would-be actors expect to post with you in the photos - they don't understand if you just want a photo of them.  Sure I'd pose with Rambo or Ozzie, but I would not look good next to her.

Pictured: Batman didn't survive the leap.
Logged
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 12:57:05 PM »
ReplyReply

Sorry, double post. A bit like following somebody from the front, if you see what I mean.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:02:50 PM by Rob C » Logged

Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: dalethorn
Pictured: Batman didn't survive the leap.



Thatīs because he has a boyfriend called Bruce. Waddyawant for your money?

Rob C


PS As an aside, can  you explain  the tips-and-photos bit for a non-LA person?  Is it something like musicians playing in the street or subway, or have I just completely missed whatīs going on?
Logged

dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Rob C
Thatīs because he has a boyfriend called Bruce. Waddyawant for your money?
Rob C
PS As an aside, can  you explain  the tips-and-photos bit for a non-LA person?  Is it something like musicians playing in the street or subway, or have I just completely missed whatīs going on?

Very much like street musicians, except they have agents who are often close by, especially for acts like Wonder Woman.  The Chinese theatre has a sign in front "Actors are not associated with this theatre etc.", but despite not being associated with any visible business, the actors maintain a long-time presence in a very competitive area.
Logged
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: dalethorn
but despite not being associated with any visible business, the actors maintain a long-time presence in a very competitive area.


This makes them very similar to some famous photographers also with no visible means of support!

Rob C
Logged

jjj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3227



WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Rob C
Speaking as an ex-fashion snapper, and hoping that I offend nobody, the top that Mrs Superman is wearing is an extremely poor fit.
Mrs Superman!?    I think you may offend fans of Wonder Woman as will her lack of bracelets in the costume.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:40:56 PM by jjj » Logged

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spineless.   Futt Futt Futt Photography
EasyEd
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 28


« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 12:37:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Hey All,

I've no doubt you were smiling when you said this - Pilgrim.

Quote from: Rob C
Sorry, he doesnīt qualify: you could always see him trying to think - held him back.

Rob C

Wayne was one H E double toothpicks of a smart man who could hold his own in any political/social debate. I personally didn't always agree with his views but he correctly defined the word "man" in a way that Hollywood rarely does today. That makes him a genuine bonafide Hero.

-Ed-
Logged
Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 04:19:02 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EasyEd
Hey All,

I've no doubt you were smiling when you said this - Pilgrim.



Wayne was one H E double toothpicks of a smart man who could hold his own in any political/social debate. I personally didn't always agree with his views but he correctly defined the word "man" in a way that Hollywood rarely does today. That makes him a genuine bonafide Hero.

-Ed-


Well that makes you an even greater hero: you KNEW him! I didnīt even know Lloyd George.

Rob C
Logged

Rob C
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12215


« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 04:25:02 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jjj
Mrs Superman!?    I think you may offend fans of Wonder Woman as will her lack of bracelets in the costume.


Futt Futt, I was but trying to protect the ladyīs honour: she was being quoted about Superman and how would she know how he was unless sheīd had intimate err - dealings with him?

Now you have stripped her of her mask (metaphorically speaking) and the world knows of her indiscretion! - Iīd hoped nobody would have recognized her during the pavement interview. How cruel!

Rob C
Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad