Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Website finally!!  (Read 2232 times)
jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, my website is nearly finished and I would appreciate some feedback. Anything from functionality to appearance - or anything else you would like to mention.

Julie's website  and also to my blog link

Thanks so much,
Julie
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:12:19 PM by jule » Logged

jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:25:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Anyone?  

I am keen to have feedback on how it works on different browsers, so would love a bit of feedback please.

Thanks,
Julie
Logged

Chris_T
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 541


« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:10:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jule
Anyone?  

I am keen to have feedback on how it works on different browsers, so would love a bit of feedback please.

Thanks,
Julie

A little patience please. I'm falling behind with my site critiques due to my last week's cataract operation. With one good eye, and one less so, reading and staring at the monitor for long periods is troublesome. And I'll be out shooting the local St. Pat's Day Parade today, for that I only need one good eye. Happy St. Pat's Day!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:11:13 AM by Chris_T » Logged
NikoJorj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1063


WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:02:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jule
I am keen to have feedback on how it works on different browsers, so would love a bit of feedback please.
It's nice for me, really : clean & sober, as we say in French.
Just one little detail : there may be something in the width of the "news" objects, that makes an unelegant scroll bar appear at the bottom of the "frame".


Conversely, if anyone with IE6 can confirm that the thumbnails are well centerered in my galleries... the link is below, thanks!
Logged

Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
AndrewKulin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 333



WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »
ReplyReply

Overall it is nice.  Runs fine in Firefox (3.07)

Some observations/questions:

- is one of your intentions to showcase your photographs?  If so it is not clear how to get to those.  You have some photos under the "Archive" heading which is not an intuitively obvious place to look.
- The "Julie's blog" link takes you to "Photography Artist Books".  There is blog-like content down below the photos.  So not clear for someone looking for blog content.
- You need to make sure that all pages lead to "Home".  I found this in particular with the blog link discussed above, having to use my browser back button to return to your main site (I did find a link back to your main site at the very bottom of the blog page).  I think a "Home" link at the top of the page, as you have shown on some (but not all) pages would be helpful.

Regards,

Andrew
Logged

jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Chris_T
A little patience please. I'm falling behind with my site critiques due to my last week's cataract operation. With one good eye, and one less so, reading and staring at the monitor for long periods is troublesome. And I'll be out shooting the local St. Pat's Day Parade today, for that I only need one good eye. Happy St. Pat's Day!
So sorry Chris. It wasn't personally directed at yourself. I noticed 60 views and not one comment so I thought I would clarify that I was interested in how it worked on different browsers because it had been causing a few problems. Hope your eye heals very quickly.

Julie
Logged

jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: NikoJorj
It's nice for me, really : clean & sober, as we say in French.
Just one little detail : there may be something in the width of the "news" objects, that makes an unelegant scroll bar appear at the bottom of the "frame".


Conversely, if anyone with IE6 can confirm that the thumbnails are well centerered in my galleries... the link is below, thanks!

Thank you Niko.
Julie
Logged

jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: AndrewKulin
Overall it is nice.  Runs fine in Firefox (3.07)

Some observations/questions:

- is one of your intentions to showcase your photographs?  If so it is not clear how to get to those.  You have some photos under the "Archive" heading which is not an intuitively obvious place to look.
- The "Julie's blog" link takes you to "Photography Artist Books".  There is blog-like content down below the photos.  So not clear for someone looking for blog content.
- You need to make sure that all pages lead to "Home".  I found this in particular with the blog link discussed above, having to use my browser back button to return to your main site (I did find a link back to your main site at the very bottom of the blog page).  I think a "Home" link at the top of the page, as you have shown on some (but not all) pages would be helpful.

Regards,

Andrew
Thanks Andrew.
The thumbnails on the front page when clicked link to my galleries. perhaps I should have written somewhere an instruction to click to view images.

My Blog site was supposed to open in a new window - so a home page tab or link at the top was not necessary. I will look into this further.

The 'Photography Artist Books " were key words originally intended to encapsulate what I do. It was probably the first thing I did about a year ago in my notes and funnily I didn't ever go back and reassess it. I will do that today.

Thanks again.

Julie
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 7789



WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 08:31:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Julie,

I've been away for a few days, but now I've had a chance to play with your website in Opera 9.64, Firefox 3.0.7, Safari 3.2.2, and IE 7.0.6001, all running under Vista. Almost everything works very well, and the site is clean and very elegant. The tiny glitches I encountered were both in Opera and IE: When viewing a single image in a gallery, the left- and right-arrows for "next" and "previous" image don't appear for some reason (they do in both Firefox and Safari). So in IE and Opera I had to move the mouse around until it happened to hit on "Previous", "Next", and "Close" just below the image. But those are very tiny and so dark they almost disappear into the background until the mouse hovers over them. I would suggest using a little bigger font and a slightly lighter color for those links, so they can be easily spotted even in IE or Opera. A tad larger and brighter still won't detract from the elegance of the page, IMHO.

Also: As someone else suggested, why not use "Galleries" instead of "Archive"?

Finally, I won't get to see the new gallery on April 5, as I will be away for three weeks. But I'll check on it when I get back from Utah in late April.

As I've said before, your work is gorgeous, and the website presents it very nicely.

Regards,

Eric

Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
NikoJorj
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1063


WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jule
I am keen to have feedback on how it works on different browsers, so would love a bit of feedback please.
FWIW, I've "solved" (better said "answered"   ) my own visibility problem with IETester :
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
It's an IE-based browser that emulates the known bugs and glitches of IE5.5, 6, 7 anrd 8RC1.
Warning : it can be a bit frightening, if like me you've used FireFox and AdBlock for a long time!
Logged

Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
jule
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738


WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EricM
Julie,

I've been away for a few days, but now I've had a chance to play with your website in Opera 9.64, Firefox 3.0.7, Safari 3.2.2, and IE 7.0.6001, all running under Vista. Almost everything works very well, and the site is clean and very elegant. The tiny glitches I encountered were both in Opera and IE: When viewing a single image in a gallery, the left- and right-arrows for "next" and "previous" image don't appear for some reason (they do in both Firefox and Safari). So in IE and Opera I had to move the mouse around until it happened to hit on "Previous", "Next", and "Close" just below the image. But those are very tiny and so dark they almost disappear into the background until the mouse hovers over them. I would suggest using a little bigger font and a slightly lighter color for those links, so they can be easily spotted even in IE or Opera. A tad larger and brighter still won't detract from the elegance of the page, IMHO.

Also: As someone else suggested, why not use "Galleries" instead of "Archive"?

Finally, I won't get to see the new gallery on April 5, as I will be away for three weeks. But I'll check on it when I get back from Utah in late April.

As I've said before, your work is gorgeous, and the website presents it very nicely.

Regards,

Eric
Thanks Eric for your kind words and feedback. Will look into making amendments.

Have a wonderful trip to Utah, and hope the light is perfect and inspiration abundant!

Julie  
Logged

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad