Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Abstract  (Read 1392 times)
John R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1031


« on: March 14, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »
ReplyReply

I read with great interest the thread on abstract (ions) in photography. I consider this image an abstract. What is it? Does it matter? If it works, or has interest or has something say or convey to the viewer, does it matter what it really is? I am sure some know what it is.
[attachment=12162:snowmoun..._ptxcopy.jpg]

JMR
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:56:23 PM by John R » Logged
dalethorn
Guest
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John R
I read with great interest the thread on abstract (ions) in photography. I consider this image an abstract. What is it? Does it matter? If it works, or has interest or has something say or convey to the viewer, does it matter what it really is? I am sure some of know what it is.
[attachment=12162:snowmoun..._ptxcopy.jpg]
JMR

It doesn't matter, but, if it were in an exhibit, would you add a caption to provide a clue for the curious or just something to provoke interest?
Logged
John R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1031


« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: dalethorn
It doesn't matter, but, if it were in an exhibit, would you add a caption to provide a clue for the curious or just something to provoke interest?
Yes, I guess I might, if I wanted to show what can be done when physical reality is reduced to light and shadow. I am sure you have seen many exhibited works with no titles. In this case, if I had to title it, I would call it something along the lines of light, shadow and texture and not what it really it is. But sometimes, it is easy to figure out.

JMR
Logged
wolfnowl
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5744



WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi John:  Looks like a water-smoothed rock face to me, but that's beside the point.  It does have strong lines, overall I like it!

Mike.

P.S.  The question of 'abstract' vs. 'non-representational' as applied to art and photography is a whole other issue.  Here are a couple of links.  I don't want to take away from your image, but it seems like the right place to put them.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/article...9/dw0209-1.html

http://www.humanitiesweb.org/human.php?s=r...;a=i&ID=558
Logged

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~


My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
John R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1031


« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi John:  Looks like a water-smoothed rock face to me, but that's beside the point.  It does have strong lines, overall I like it!

Mike.

P.S.  The question of 'abstract' vs. 'non-representational' as applied to art and photography is a whole other issue.  Here are a couple of links.  I don't want to take away from your image, but it seems like the right place to put them.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/article...9/dw0209-1.html

http://www.humanitiesweb.org/human.php?s=r...;a=i&ID=558
Thank you for your comments and the very interesting links. I am acquainted with Darwin Wigget who regularly appears in Canadian Photo magazines.

JMR
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad