Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Yosemite south entrance sundown  (Read 2678 times)
natas

« on: April 19, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Well me and the wife just got back from our 10 day trip to california. We spent 5 days in Yosemite. I have a ton of pictures, but I wanted to share this one. Most people I saw were doing the usual shots (Tunnel view, mirror lake et al) and don't get me wrong I did those as well. However I found a neat little spot heading towards the south entrance that had wonderful sundown shots . I took this shot around 6:45 and underexposed it by 2 stops to get the look I wanted. This is a 1 second exposure at f/22 iso 200. I only have had a few hours to go through my photos and this was the first shot I did like this, I have a few more I need to look at. The others have more contrast layers of the background, but I don't believe they had the colors of the sky like this one...I will find out soon. So far I like what I see. Some may hate it, but for me it works.

Hope others enjoy the shot and can comment. I am always open for suggestions. Thanks!

wolfnowl

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Great colours!  If it was mine I'd probably trim some of the dark sky from the top, though.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
Jeremy Payne
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
ReplyReply

I agree with Mike - I think it would be stronger compositionally with a crop closer to the top of the big tree.

I also think the tree "skyline" is cool and the colors very interesting - even on my laptop.

One question - why f22?  My instinct would have been to shoot something like this with the lens opened up a bit more than that.
natas

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I agree with Mike - I think it would be stronger compositionally with a crop closer to the top of the big tree.

I also think the tree "skyline" is cool and the colors very interesting - even on my laptop.

One question - why f22?  My instinct would have been to shoot something like this with the lens opened up a bit more than that.

I did f/22 to stop more light from coming in. I wanted the longest exposure possible without having to underexpose to much. I could of done it the other way...its just what made sense to me at the time
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:53:54 PM by natas » Logged
Jeremy Payne
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: natas
I did f/22 to stop more light from coming in. I wanted the longest exposure possible without having to underexpose to much. I could of done it the other way...its just what made sense to me at the time

Not that big of a deal, but your lens/camera combo* likely produces a better quality image between f8-11 than f22 - where the effects of diffraction have likely started to become apparent.

I'm not saying you CAN'T use f22 - obviously, you produced a VERY nice image - but you need a reason in my book - two that come to mind are 1) to stretch the exposure in order to blur motion or 2) to deepen the depth of field.

In this case, I think you would have been better served by shooting a 1/4th of a second at f11 instead of 1 sec at f22 at the same ISO.  The shorter exposure could also help with the IQ by minimizing te effects of any wind motion in the treeline.

Again - not that big a deal, but you asked for comments and that jumped out at me.

* BTW - what was the camera and lens used to capture this?
summitgreen

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
ReplyReply

very nice colors.. I'm jealous you got to stay there 5 days!  It's getting very very crowded now.  Maybe switch the shot into a panoramic shot?
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad