Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: HP Z3200 ps review  (Read 5905 times)
keithcooper
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 22



WWW
« on: April 20, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi

Several people asked me about the z3200 I've had on loan from HP for a while - now unfortunately back with them :-(

Very nice printer, with a few minor issues. The built in profiling/linearisation works well and the gloss enhancer produces prints which lose a lot of that 'pigment inkjet' look. The sheet loading is one area that could be improved. I would not relish having to print a few dozen A3+ prints on it ;-)

I've written up some of my thoughts relating to its us for photographic printing (colour and B/W) at:
HP Z3200 review

As a relatively low volume print maker I've not gone into details of accounting and running costs too much or the postscript side of things.

hope it's of interest :-)

bye for now
Keith Cooper
Logged

edt
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 43


WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:15 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: keithcooper
Hi

Several people asked me about the z3200 I've had on loan from HP for a while - now unfortunately back with them :-(

Very nice printer, with a few minor issues. The built in profiling/linearisation works well and the gloss enhancer produces prints which lose a lot of that 'pigment inkjet' look. The sheet loading is one area that could be improved. I would not relish having to print a few dozen A3+ prints on it ;-)

I've written up some of my thoughts relating to its us for photographic printing (colour and B/W) at:
HP Z3200 review

As a relatively low volume print maker I've not gone into details of accounting and running costs too much or the postscript side of things.

hope it's of interest :-)

bye for now
Keith Cooper


Keith,
Thanks for a very well written review. I found it very beneficial.
Ed
Logged
wolfnowl
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5698



WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 01:31:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: edt
Keith,
Thanks for a very well written review. I found it very beneficial.
Ed

Thanks, Keith!  Me too...

Mike.
Logged

If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~


My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings
Roscolo
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 621


« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »
ReplyReply


Good review. Regarding sheet printing, I find the solution is to disable the skew check in the printer menu. Then it's a breeze. YMMV



Logged
keithcooper
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 22



WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:54:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Roscolo
Good review. Regarding sheet printing, I find the solution is to disable the skew check in the printer menu. Then it's a breeze. YMMV
Thanks - as a long time Epson user I wanted to be as fair as I could (I've a 7880 and 9600 here)

Sounds reasonable... is this an additional setting? since IIRC the paper normally has 'roll paper'/'load with skew check'/'load without skew check' options available when you put paper into it.

I ended up using the basic 'load without skew check' option, but then it all too often miscalculated the paper length and I found those blue alignment lines nowhere near clear enough.
Logged

Ryan Grayley
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 217



WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 03:44:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: keithcooper
I ended up using the basic 'load without skew check' option, but then it all too often miscalculated the paper length and I found those blue alignment lines nowhere near clear enough.

When I tried loading without the skew check I had this problem too.
About a third of my skew check loads initiate without a hitch but probably more luck than judgement.

Certainly the Epsons are easier to load but as I am quite tall I can lean over the Z3200 and load roll paper without too much effort. Maybe standing on a small box would help? Like many I don't have the space to access the rear of the printer.

Anyway a nice review Keith, practical and informative. Many reviews seem to be too good and sometimes I suspect that they are produced as an aid for selling more printers.
Logged

Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK
keithcooper
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 22



WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 04:06:29 AM »
ReplyReply

> ...Maybe standing on a small box would help?
I'm 6' so, if -I- need to stand on a box... :-)

> Anyway a nice review Keith, practical and informative. Many reviews seem to be too good and sometimes I suspect that they are produced as an aid for selling more printers.

Thanks, I've a 7880 and 9600 here, so I wanted to make sure it was as balanced as I could manage - now just trying to get to the right part of Canon UK to let me have a good look at what they offer ;-)

From chatting with manufacturers after some of my previous reviews I know that they often prefer something that shows a real person has used the kit. I get sent a lot of press info, so I can spot where reviews have been overly 'inspired' by press kits ;-)
Logged

Ryan Grayley
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 217



WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:50:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: keithcooper
> ...Maybe standing on a small box would help?
I'm 6' so, if -I- need to stand on a box... :-)

I have an extra three inches in height so perhaps a three inch box would do the trick?
Do you have any platform shoes? (I wouldn't admit to that).

Ryan
Logged

Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK
Gurglamei
Guest
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:13:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Ionaca
When I tried loading without the skew check I had this problem too.
About a third of my skew check loads initiate without a hitch but probably more luck than judgement.

Certainly the Epsons are easier to load but as I am quite tall I can lean over the Z3200 and load roll paper without too much effort. Maybe standing on a small box would help? Like many I don't have the space to access the rear of the printer.

Anyway a nice review Keith, practical and informative. Many reviews seem to be too good and sometimes I suspect that they are produced as an aid for selling more printers.

My HP dealer advised me to load sheet paper in through the back slot used for roll paper. You can then allign the sheet against the inside of the "holders" for the roll paper, of course assuming you still have a paper roll in place. I have done it a couple of times and it works quite well.
Logged
Ryan Grayley
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 217



WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 07:18:40 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Gurglamei
My HP dealer advised me to load sheet paper in through the back slot used for roll paper. You can then allign the sheet against the inside of the "holders" for the roll paper, of course assuming you still have a paper roll in place. I have done it a couple of times and it works quite well.

I have been trying this method and it works well for me.
Logged

Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK
neil snape
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1432


WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Gurglamei
My HP dealer advised me to load sheet paper in through the back slot used for roll paper. You can then allign the sheet against the inside of the "holders" for the roll paper, of course assuming you still have a paper roll in place. I have done it a couple of times and it works quite well.



This is also the recommended way for loading both fragile and extra thick media.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad