Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Kodak Professional Imaging to close?  (Read 17390 times)
erick.boileau
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 469


WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: pixjohn
And now back to are topic

Lets wait and see? But it scares me if production moves to China.

be careful if you are afraid of Chinese your post can be deleted  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:29:36 PM by erick.boileau » Logged
jing q
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 589


WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Chinese manufacturing is not perceived to be the most thorough and detail oriented,
germans are great at making lenses
swiss are great at making watches
so on and so forth.
you can try to be politically correct but the fact is that different cultural,racial,religious groups inculcate certain values that differentiate them from others.
whether you want to take it as an insult or a compliment is really a matter of personal interpretation.
the insinuation in this whole thread is that moving production to China is a lowering of standards. Let's just call a cow a cow.
Logged
Chris Sanderson
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1830



« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 03:27:15 PM »
ReplyReply

I have deleted the offensive and anonymous 'abcdefg...' (along with all previous posts) and banned him or her from this Forum.
Logged

Christopher Sanderson
The Luminous-Landscape
Doug Peterson
Sr. Member
****
Online Online

Posts: 2661


WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 03:37:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: ChrisSand
I have deleted the offensive and anonymous 'abcdefg...' (along with all previous posts) and banned him or her from this Forum.

Thanks Chris.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread topic.
Logged

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4731



« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I've been offline all day and just saw that Chris deleted this offensive material. Just what was needed. There's no room for such here.

Sorry for anyone (myself included) that was offended. Enough said.

Michael
Logged
Graham Mitchell
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2282



WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jing q
Chinese manufacturing is not perceived to be the most thorough and detail oriented,
germans are great at making lenses
swiss are great at making watches
so on and so forth.
you can try to be politically correct but the fact is that different cultural,racial,religious groups inculcate certain values that differentiate them from others.
whether you want to take it as an insult or a compliment is really a matter of personal interpretation.
the insinuation in this whole thread is that moving production to China is a lowering of standards. Let's just call a cow a cow.

+1

And he got banned for it? Wow, seems way over the top to me.
Logged

Graham Mitchell - www.graham-mitchell.com
carstenw
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581



« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: foto-z
+1

And he got banned for it? Wow, seems way over the top to me.

While I didn't like the phrasing at all, I thought that the "jews" comment was directed at B&H, which is staffed entirely by orthodox jews, IIRC. Isn't Adorama also?
Logged

MHFA
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 77


« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2009, 02:14:41 AM »
ReplyReply


And he got banned for it? Wow, seems way over the top to me.

you can try to be politically correct but the fact is that different cultural,racial,religious groups inculcate certain values that differentiate them from others.


To think a certain "group" inculcates certain values is nonsense, meanwhile a group is an open system of millions of individuums.
An example:

The germans are making good lenses? Which Germans?
The Germans of today are people from all over the world, they are from all cultural, racial and religous groups you can imagine. From the 75% of People with a German Passport which are living in my town more than half of them have foreign roots. I love my country for being a melting pot now.
(Out of German history I think everbody can also understand the sensibility of certain groups)


Seems as if some people are getting very emotional with this item.
 
I would be more interested wether I can buy a Leaf or Sinar Back without the fear that this brands are disappearing...

Michael

Logged
carstenw
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581



« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 02:24:24 AM »
ReplyReply

.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:28:15 AM by carstenw » Logged

jing q
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 589


WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2009, 02:30:29 AM »
ReplyReply


it's called a generalisation.
A lot of people use generalisation.
it's a way for human beings to quickly figure out how to classify someone in a way that is immediate to them.
Tourism and Marketing is based on generalisations and stereotypes. It's not necessarily a bad thing.
I'm surprised you take so much offense at that. I didn't take offense at the "jew" comment, in fact I saw it as a compliment. And I used to live with a jewish guy from israel.
yes I love my B&H and Adorama, although they can be curt sometimes.
Yes if you want to break it down the germans are living all over the world blah blah blah.
but let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. I don't think the person who made the comment actually meant it maliciously.


Quote from: MHFA
To think a certain "group" inculcates certain values is nonsense, meanwhile a group is an open system of millions of individuums.
An example:

The germans are making good lenses? Which Germans?
The Germans of today are people from all over the world, they are from all cultural, racial and religous groups you can imagine. From the 75% of People with a German Passport which are living in my town more than half of them have foreign roots. I love my country for being a melting pot now.
(Out of German history I think everbody can also understand the sensibility of certain groups)
Logged
MHFA
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 77


« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50:24 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: jing q
it's called a generalisation.
A lot of people use generalisation.
it's a way for human beings to quickly figure out how to classify someone in a way that is immediate to them.
Tourism and Marketing is based on generalisations and stereotypes. It's not necessarily a bad thing.
I'm surprised you take so much offense at that. I didn't take offense at the "jew" comment, in fact I saw it as a compliment. And I used to live with a jewish guy from israel.
yes I love my B&H and Adorama, although they can be curt sometimes.
Yes if you want to break it down the germans are living all over the world blah blah blah.
but let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. I don't think the person who made the comment actually meant it maliciously.

If you are really wondering that some people are offensed visit Germany and his history.
Generalisation is not bad, but wether useful neither inteligent and in a Professional Network there is no place for this...
Michael

Logged
Guy Mancuso
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1100


WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: MHFA
And he got banned for it? Wow, seems way over the top to me.

you can try to be politically correct but the fact is that different cultural,racial,religious groups inculcate certain values that differentiate them from others.


To think a certain "group" inculcates certain values is nonsense, meanwhile a group is an open system of millions of individuums.
An example:

The germans are making good lenses? Which Germans?
The Germans of today are people from all over the world, they are from all cultural, racial and religous groups you can imagine. From the 75% of People with a German Passport which are living in my town more than half of them have foreign roots. I love my country for being a melting pot now.
(Out of German history I think everbody can also understand the sensibility of certain groups)


Seems as if some people are getting very emotional with this item.
 
I would be more interested wether I can buy a Leaf or Sinar Back without the fear that this brands are disappearing...

Michael


Sorry but I would have banned him on my site as well and almost any decent forum around would do the same. Sorry just no room in life for that stuff.
Logged

Graham Mitchell
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2282



WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
Sorry but I would have banned him on my site as well and almost any decent forum around would do the same. Sorry just no room in life for that stuff.

Maybe we saw different posts. I can't believe anyone could take offence at the one I read, never mind banning the guy :s
Logged

Graham Mitchell - www.graham-mitchell.com
Guy Mancuso
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1100


WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Probably did, what I saw was very offensive. He may have deleted it not sure though was not paying attention to the thread after reading it originally.

It's a judgement call and every forum moderator and/or admin has to make them.
Logged

michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4731



« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2009, 08:09:32 AM »
ReplyReply

In Chris' and my opinion it was very offensive. If he'd said that in my living-room I'd have asked him to leave the house. That's the measure that we used.

Enough said.

Michael

Logged
digitaldog
Sr. Member
****
Online Online

Posts: 8036



WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: foto-z
Maybe we saw different posts. I can't believe anyone could take offence at the one I read, never mind banning the guy :s

Its quite possible there was some private back and forth with Michael about this or other posts that resulted in the banning. I also have to wonder if having the ability to be an anonymous poster on a forum adds ammo to those with agendas.

I thought the post was in poor taste but wasn't offended. And I'd rather have anti Semitic words directed in my direction then be banned (I loath censorship). Banning is very, very rarely done here unlike other forums. So I think we should probably assume the poster was less than polite with Michael.
Logged

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
ThierryH
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 409


« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »
ReplyReply

my little cent to this: I can understand Michael and Chris for banning, they have their reasons and one has to respect them.

HOWEVER:

I would have loved to see the member with his post directed at me, a few months ago, when he was "suggesting" me to visit some "Katoys" here in Bangkok to feel better, to be banned as well. Implying that someone is "homosexual" or suggesting him to make the experience is to be put in the same category of offence and this post contained in itself a judgement of a group of persons and their sexual behaviour, like the post from the member who was banned now.

All I wanted to say.

Best regards,
Thierry
Logged

MHFA
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 77


« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: ThierryH
my little cent to this: I can understand Michael and Chris for banning, they have their reasons and one has to respect them.

HOWEVER:

I would have loved to see the member with his post directed at me, a few months ago, when he was "suggesting" me to visit some "Katoys" here in Bangkok to feel better, to be banned as well. Implying that someone is "homosexual" or suggesting him to make the experience is to be put in the same category of offence and this post contained in itself a judgement of a group of persons and their sexual behaviour, like the post from the member who was banned now.

All I wanted to say.

Best regards,
Thierry

Dear Thierry,

please ask Michael for banning this member too. I can`t understand this kind of statements...
Logged
Fotogman
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 15


« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: digitaldog
Its quite possible there was some private back and forth with Michael about this or other posts that resulted in the banning. I also have to wonder if having the ability to be an anonymous poster on a forum adds ammo to those with agendas.

I thought the post was in poor taste but wasn't offended. And I'd rather have anti Semitic words directed in my direction then be banned (I loath censorship). Banning is very, very rarely done here unlike other forums. So I think we should probably assume the poster was less than polite with Michael.


I agree that banning shouldn't be done (just my opinion).

My amazement is in "most" posts on this and other discussion boards is how they can start with one topic, and go off on totally different topics. Start with Hasselblad Phocus software, and then go on about how they like the Nikon D3x, then in the same post talk about what monitors they like. Just like this thread, start with Leaf, then talk about manufacturing in China, then almost 1 1/2 pages which has nothing to do with the main topic.

I realize everyone has there opinion and wants to put it online, but when I come back once a week or so to see what's going on in the digital world. I read what I think are interesting topics, and they morph into either bickering in between posters, or go off on wild tangents way off topic, I find frustrating. Maybe I should have started a new topic on this.

Just my two cents worth.
Logged
ThierryH
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 409


« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Dear Michael,

It is an old story, and I did not feel myself offended, but am of the opinion that his comment could have offended this particular group of persons, and as such had nothing to do in a discussion forum (any).

There was a request from another at least one other member, at the time, for him to be banned. Myself I did simply ask this member for the deletion of his words with an appology, which I did not get.

All the best,
Thierry

Quote from: MHFA
Dear Thierry,

please ask Michael for banning this member too. I can`t understand this kind of statements...
Logged

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad