Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Comparisons between Mamiya and Hasselblad lenses  (Read 16041 times)
eleanorbrown
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 632


WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 02:46:48 PM »
ReplyReply

Would be curious to hear from anyone that has used the P65+ with H Lenses.  I have an H2 and use H primes only....35,50,80, 100 and 210 with a 45+.  Anyone used H lenses with the 65+?  Wondering how the excellent H lenses preform with higher resolution....Thanks, Eleanor
Logged

Nick_T
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 88


« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 02:56:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: scott morrish
And they now have a wider zoom... one that is reliant on DAC...

This is inaccurate. NONE of the Hasselblad lenses are reliant on DAC. The corrections simply allow Hasselblad to correct for various issues that all lenses exhibit to varying degrees.
Nick-T
Logged

gss
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 06:01:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Nick_T
This is inaccurate. NONE of the Hasselblad lenses are reliant on DAC. The corrections simply allow Hasselblad to correct for various issues that all lenses exhibit to varying degrees.
Nick-T

Both the 28 and the new zoom are indeed reliant on DAC.  They were designed to use integral software corrections.  I am not saying this is a bad thing, but it certainly is a true thing.
Logged
Nick_T
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 88


« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gss
Both the 28 and the new zoom are indeed reliant on DAC.  They were designed to use integral software corrections.  I am not saying this is a bad thing, but it certainly is a true thing.

I have and use a 28mm. It does not rely on the DAC corrections and in fact functions very well without them, I have compared the 28MM without corrections  to other wide angles and found it compares very well. WITH the DAC corrections it becomes a stellar performer.
Hope that clarifies.
Nick-T
Logged

gss
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Nick_T
I have and use a 28mm. It does not rely on the DAC corrections and in fact functions very well without them, I have compared the 28MM without corrections  to other wide angles and found it compares very well. WITH the DAC corrections it becomes a stellar performer.
Hope that clarifies.
Nick-T
Neither may be used with film backs, or indeed with anything other than the H3D cameras or H2F camera with very restricted digital backs only.  This is not because of the image circles, because Hasselblad has stated that they will be compatible with the H3DII-60, though with some reduction in coverage.
If no DAC corrections are required, why the restrictions against use with film backs or with other digital backs?
Logged
Jack Varney
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 393


WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: DesW
Hi there,

Yes indeed I would recommend one proceed with caution when considering the 28mm Mamiya --The first one they sent us was a Pig!

DesW

[attachment=14111:28mm_lens_1.jpg]

Can't find anything sharp in this image. The "side" part is closer to the camera than the rest of this out of focus image, so it shouldn't be sharp if he didn't focus on it. This analysis is not worthy of consideration.
Logged

Jack Varney
HarperPhotos
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1251



WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »
ReplyReply

Hello,

My first Mamiya AF28mm lens I purchased was soft in the bottom left and right hand corners.

Mamiya Japan replaced it with a excellent replacement.

I also have the Mamiya AF35mm lens and I have to say that I find this lens to be a very sharp lens. It does have a slight barrel distortion but this is easily fixed in Photoshop.

Attached image take with the Mamiya AF28mm lens.

Regards

Simon
Logged

Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
mtomalty
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 536


WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 12:25:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote
I also have the Mamiya AF35mm lens and I have to say that I find this lens to be a very sharp lens.

Curious.
I recently tried a Mamiya 35mm on a P65+ and the results were about the weakest
I've seen of any lens on any back.

The lens focussed accurately but was unacceptably sharp-at least on a DB of this resolution

Mark
Logged
HarperPhotos
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1251



WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Mark

There has always been a lot of debate about the Mamiya AF 35mm lens concerning resolution.  All I know is that the one I have is extremely sharp, even as sharp as my Mamiya AF 28mm lens. The back I am using is Leaf Aptus 75.

At one stage I was going to sell my Mamiya AF 35mm lens but have found that as the resolution is as good as my other wide angle lenses I decided to keep it as it fits nicely between the 28mm and 45mm lenses I own.

Regards

Simon
Logged

Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
Guy Mancuso
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1116


WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Simon in C1 in the lens corrections tab the 35mm lens is supported for the barrel distortion. May want to try it does a nice job on that lens , also corner sharpness control for it as well. Also support for the 28 and new 45mm lens as well.
Logged

Dick Roadnight
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1730


« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: eleanorbrown
Would be curious to hear from anyone that has used the P65+ with H Lenses.  I have an H2 and use H primes only....35,50,80, 100 and 210 with a 45+.  Anyone used H lenses with the 65+?  Wondering how the excellent H lenses preform with higher resolution....Thanks, Eleanor
No... but I have the H3D11-50, and the results with the 50-110 mm zoom look sharp to me, as long as I use flash or a good tripod and wire release, and mirror lock up and no wind, traffic, earthquakes or heat haze.

I did not think that the zoom would have been worth using for serious landscape work, (no movements anyway) or worth buying a polarizer for, and I have a range of Apo-digitars and a P3... and hope to get the system together next week.

...but my first (village-scape) image on my first "pro" digital camera looks good - zoom set at 65 mm, 20 houses along horizon... and you can just see individual bricks that are a different colour, tiles, slates, telephone lines, TV aerials etc in these houses at a distance of a fifth of a mile (300m).

When I get the P3 I can shift and stitch this scene, and use the movement to get the foreground in focus.
I might upgrade to the 60 when it come out.
Logged

Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
michele
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 230


« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »
ReplyReply

There is no way to think that the mamiya 35 is sharp, maybe with a P25... maybe with the P45 downsized at 50%... Yes it's cheap but also the results...Of course I can speak about mine... I really hope one day Phase will make a good 35D...Here is what mine 35 mamiya can do with my P45+, very solid tripod, good head, cable release, mirror-up, f11, very carefull focus. No sharpening, no lens correction in CaptureOne, I know I can get more with the lens correction and sharpening, but I think it's better seeing to the file as it is from the camera... The subjcet is pretty difficult, but also the price of a medium format camera is "difficult"
my best
Logged

EricWHiss
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2426



WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michele
There is no way to think that the mamiya 35 is sharp, maybe with a P25... maybe with the P45 downsized at 50%... Yes it's cheap but also the results...Of course I can speak about mine... I really hope one day Phase will make a good 35D...Here is what mine 35 mamiya can do with my P45+, very solid tripod, good head, cable release, mirror-up, f11, very carefull focus. No sharpening, no lens correction in CaptureOne, I know I can get more with the lens correction and sharpening, but I think it's better seeing to the file as it is from the camera... The subjcet is pretty difficult, but also the price of a medium format camera is "difficult"
my best

Wow - guess a picture is worth a 1000 words here.  That looks like what I get from my point and shoot.
Logged

Authorized Rolleiflex Dealer:
Find product information, download user manuals, or purchase online - Rolleiflex USA
CBarrett
Guest
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: EricWHiss
Wow - guess a picture is worth a 1000 words here.  That looks like what I get from my point and shoot.


You know, it almost looks like you're getting some decent sharpness foreground in the first shot... I wonder if that lens could be recalibrated at Mamiya and perform better.  I'm ordering the Phase 645 in  a week, and I'd really like to have a decent 35.... ugh.
Logged
michele
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 230


« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: CBarrett
You know, it almost looks like you're getting some decent sharpness foreground in the first shot... I wonder if that lens could be recalibrated at Mamiya and perform better.  I'm ordering the Phase 645 in  a week, and I'd really like to have a decent 35.... ugh.


May you have luck...
Actually I think I have a good copy of this lens...  Also the 80mm looks soft without the sharp mask in C1, but this is the same with H lenses  I really like my phase back, now I have to live with it, but in 2/3 years I hope to upgrade to a new back and if Phase will not make a huge step up in the lenses quality I will be a Hasselblad owner... we will see!
Logged

CBarrett
Guest
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 04:02:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Oh hell.... I totally forgot that I've tested these lenses.... : )  A month or two ago Doug from Progear came out to one of my shoots to demo the Phase 645 and some lenses...

The first shot is with the Mamiya 35mm the second with the Phase 45D and the last (final retouched image)with my old Schneider 47 circa 1964.  They all looked pretty good to me....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:02:37 PM by CBarrett » Logged
michele
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 230


« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 03:45:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: CBarrett
Oh hell.... I totally forgot that I've tested these lenses.... : )  A month or two ago Doug from Progear came out to one of my shoots to demo the Phase 645 and some lenses...

The first shot is with the Mamiya 35mm the second with the Phase 45D and the last (final retouched image)with my old Schneider 47 circa 1964.  They all looked pretty good to me....


Can you post some crop at 100% of the 45D without any sharp mask plese? I'm interested in this lens... Actually if you want you can post also crop from the ather lenses!
Logged

vgogolak
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 337


WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: CBarrett
Oh hell.... I totally forgot that I've tested these lenses.... : )  A month or two ago Doug from Progear came out to one of my shoots to demo the Phase 645 and some lenses...

The first shot is with the Mamiya 35mm the second with the Phase 45D and the last (final retouched image)with my old Schneider 47 circa 1964.  They all looked pretty good to me....

The Scheider looks like it beats the pants off the other two

nothing like a non retro lens(it was that one, yes?)

I would be curious what the old Hasey 30mm (yes, fisheye, but imagealign can fix)  (40mm hassey maybe too much distotion for interiors, esp IF) or Contax 35mm do with this shot

Victor
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:41:43 AM by vgogolak » Logged
David Grover / Phase One
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1004



WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michele
Also the 80mm looks soft without the sharp mask in C1, but this is the same with H lenses  I really like my phase back, now I have to live with it, but in 2/3 years I hope to upgrade to a new back and if Phase will not make a huge step up in the lenses quality I will be a Hasselblad owner... we will see!

Correction...

We do not apply any corner USM within our lens corrections.

You can make a good lens better, but you cannot improve on an initially poor performance ie, lack of sharpness.

We only improve on Distortion, Vignetting and Chromatic Aberration.

Logged

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager, Software.
michele
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 230


« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Correction...

We do not apply any corner USM within our lens corrections.

You can make a good lens better, but you cannot improve on an initially poor performance ie, lack of sharpness.

We only improve on Distortion, Vignetting and Chromatic Aberration.


Yes i think the same, lens correction and sharpening are different things... But also the H lenses need to be sharpened, but it's also my taste, perhaps somebody doesn't need sharp mask with H lenses. By the way I think the HDC lenses from Hasselblad are absolutly terrific!!!
Logged

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad