Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Aerial Abstract  (Read 3331 times)
bobtowery
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 219


WWW
« on: June 01, 2009, 06:49:58 PM »
ReplyReply



I really enjoy creating abstracts.  I went flying yesterday and when I saw this scene come into view I thought it would make a good abstract.  After cropping to get rid of the wing, and some rotation, I have this image.  Shot in California, between Napa and Sacramento.   I'm always trying to improve my "photographic eye" hoping that someday I will come close to Michael R, this image seems like a step in the right direction.

Bob Towery
http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Logged

walter.sk
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1328


« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:30:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: bobtowery


I really enjoy creating abstracts.  I went flying yesterday and when I saw this scene come into view I thought it would make a good abstract.  After cropping to get rid of the wing, and some rotation, I have this image.  Shot in California, between Napa and Sacramento.   I'm always trying to improve my "photographic eye" hoping that someday I will come close to Michael R, this image seems like a step in the right direction.

Bob Towery
http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Nice!  It is reminiscent of the veins in a leaf, and it is not immediately clear as to what is being seen.  Good composition.  Were you piloting the airplane as well as shooting?

Logged
bobtowery
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 219


WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: walter.sk
Nice!  It is reminiscent of the veins in a leaf, and it is not immediately clear as to what is being seen.  Good composition.  Were you piloting the airplane as well as shooting?

Actually, the autopilot was flying at the time!  We were doing an instrument flight simulation.  But in any case, I was not the pilot.  It's a good friend, I go about once every six weeks or so with him.

Thanks for the compliment on the composition.
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 7970



WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:54 PM »
ReplyReply

Very nice indeed, Bob!
Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
Colorwave
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 999


WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:02:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Awesome composition.  Love the colors, too.  These are rice fields, right?  What are the lighter shapes in the upper right quarter of the shot?  Is it tule fog?  Reflections?  Unusual shapes that don't seem very cloud like.  I think it would also make a strong image if you cropped the top and a tiny snip from the bottom, leaving the remainder as a perfect square format.
Logged

bobtowery
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 219


WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:00:58 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Eric and Ron for your comments.  I'm really happy with this composition too!


The ghosting in the upper right is in fact a reflection on the plexiglass I'm shooting through.  I thought about trying to deal with it, but to be honest I try to not spend so much time in post anymore.  In the past, I haven't been that successful with the reflections.  Maybe I'll play with it.

But it's easy to give the square format a try as you suggested:



Just for fun, here is the original, as I saw it from the plane:



Between the haze and the plexiglass, the untouched colors in the image were not too exciting.

Bob T
http://bobtowery.typepad.com

Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 7970



WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »
ReplyReply

The "ghosting" reminds me of my one ride in a glider a few years back. The pilot was wearing a zebra-striped shirt, and the reflection showed up in every single shot I took. Aaaargh!!!
Logged

-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my website. New images each season.
kikashi
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4010



« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: bobtowery
Thanks Eric and Ron for your comments.  I'm really happy with this composition too!
Just for fun, here is the original, as I saw it from the plane:
I think you can feel very pleased with yourself for spotting the image that was lying in wait inside the original!

Jeremy
Logged
Sharon Van Lieu
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 378


Nantucket Landscape and Architectural Photographer


WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:56:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Nice work!

Sharon
Logged

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad