Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: phase one body v mamiya afd (version 1)  (Read 4425 times)
woof75
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581


« on: June 21, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
ReplyReply

I had to rent a phase one camera to replace my broken afd 1 body for a job recently and I really didn't like it, I found the focus to be no quicker than the afd 1 and also it searched more, everyone complains about the afd auto focus but I love it, it's not the fastest but it's dead accurate and it never searches, it's very predictable. Also the difference in shutter lag between the 2 cameras was something I couldn't perceive, not that I was testing it, I was just using it on a pretty high pressure ad campaign on the street. Suits me down to the ground though, Mamiya afd's are cheap as chips and I love them.
Logged
free1000
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 400


WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: woof75
I had to rent a phase one camera to replace my broken afd 1 body for a job recently and I really didn't like it, I found the focus to be no quicker than the afd 1 and also it searched more, everyone complains about the afd auto focus but I love it, it's not the fastest but it's dead accurate and it never searches, it's very predictable. Also the difference in shutter lag between the 2 cameras was something I couldn't perceive, not that I was testing it, I was just using it on a pretty high pressure ad campaign on the street. Suits me down to the ground though, Mamiya afd's are cheap as chips and I love them.

How do you find the mirror slap?  I have an AFD II and my friend things the AFD 1 mirror slap is pretty impossible to work around. I bought an AFD 1 body as a backup and have never used it yet. I guess I could do a test if I had the time...
Logged

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photography folio for iPad
www.foliobook.mobi
Jack Flesher
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2595



WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
ReplyReply

I will happily trade you my mint AFD1 body for your AFD3 body...

,
Logged

ivan muller
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 245



WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:36:14 AM »
ReplyReply

hi,

Actually I also found the shutter slap to be a problem especially with longer lenses. When I used to work with Hasselblads I allway's lifted the mirror first and the leaf shutter was never a problem. When you touch the body you can actually feel the slap of the shutter! I wonder how Michael finds this aspect of his new  mamiya compared to his hasselblad. On my 300mm I have found that i have to use a min shutter speed of 125 to counter this. allway's lifting the mirror first. On a really heavy tripod it is not so much of a problem.

Regards, Ivan
Logged

Snook
Guest
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:56 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: woof75
I had to rent a phase one camera to replace my broken afd 1 body for a job recently and I really didn't like it, I found the focus to be no quicker than the afd 1 and also it searched more, everyone complains about the afd auto focus but I love it, it's not the fastest but it's dead accurate and it never searches, it's very predictable. Also the difference in shutter lag between the 2 cameras was something I couldn't perceive, not that I was testing it, I was just using it on a pretty high pressure ad campaign on the street. Suits me down to the ground though, Mamiya afd's are cheap as chips and I love them.

I Think it is a Mamiya thing because the AFDII also sucks. It has shutter lag as well and also the focus searching is a pain in the ass!!
Mamiya needs to get on the ball and fix several things!
They need a new Body,better lens, a Decent Zoom and where are the Leaf shutter lens as promised. Not such a good sign they have hooked up with Phase one who are also notorious for taking for EVER to get new stuff out!

Snook
Logged
woof75
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581


« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:54 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Snook
I Think it is a Mamiya thing because the AFDII also sucks. It has shutter lag as well and also the focus searching is a pain in the ass!!
Mamiya needs to get on the ball and fix several things!
They need a new Body,better lens, a Decent Zoom and where are the Leaf shutter lens as promised. Not such a good sign they have hooked up with Phase one who are also notorious for taking for EVER to get new stuff out!

Snook

I hand hold all the time, never have a problem with shutter slap, in fact thats one of the nice things about the afd I find. I don't even notice shutter lag, if a model is doing a certain thing at one point 0.1 second later (or whatever the shutter lag is) they are going to be doing the same thing I find. Also the lenses are as good as anything around. As I mentioned, the afd body doesn't search. Focus is accurate and steady.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:18:46 AM by woof75 » Logged
Doug Peterson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2753


WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:22 PM »
ReplyReply

I know it's frustrating as an end-user (especially in rental), but the Phase One body has had firmware updates. If you had a firmware 1.0 and a 1.5 firmware body in your hands at the same time you would hardly believe they were the "same camera".

Focusing, shutter lag are vastly improved.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
Logged

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
mcfoto
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 938


WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi
Since we are speaking about the Mamiya body check out this video, we used the new Mamiya DF ( Demo ) & I felt the shutter lag was better than the Phase One body (AFDIII). We used the P65+ back.

http://vimeo.com/5227335  (Flash Test)

Cheers Denis
Logged

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com
woof75
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581


« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mcfoto
Hi
Since we are speaking about the Mamiya body check out this video, we used the new Mamiya DF ( Demo ) & I felt the shutter lag was better than the Phase One body (AFDIII). We used the P65+ back.

http://vimeo.com/5227335  (Flash Test)

Cheers Denis

Any other advantages over the phase body?
Logged
mcfoto
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 938


WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:01:10 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: woof75
Any other advantages over the phase body?

Hi
I think the AF is faster to. I also played with the CF & it has focus lock like the Phase body. Also on the top dial there is C1,C2 & C3 which I think is for 3 different set ups. The DF body (Demo) is here for the PMA show in Sydney this week @ the L&P stand. There were no instructions but it is the same set up for custom functions as the AFDII & AFDIII. I did shoot with both bodies & all the trampoline work was done with the DF body, the shutter felt solid & was very quick. This shoot was for a Flash duration test in a coming magazine article. We were planning on using the Phase camera so the DF body was an added bonus. BTW the 65+ files were AMAZING!
Cheers Denis
Logged

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com
DesW
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 174


« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi There,

Might as well chime in--as we use both bodies  with P45 and 65+ and as soon as the later Phamiya Body comes back from MAC Group (Again)
I'll report on software upgrade--whether there IS and improvement

It needs something!

Des W
Logged
woof75
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581


« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: DesW
Hi There,

Might as well chime in--as we use both bodies  with P45 and 65+ and as soon as the later Phamiya Body comes back from MAC Group (Again)
I'll report on software upgrade--whether there IS and improvement

It needs something!

Des W

Do you mean it needs an improvement compared to the H2 or 3 or whatever were up to now. Also, to the previous poster, how were the P65 files amazing? How was the shooting speed? I do find myself more than a little tempted to try the latest nikon. I hated the 1ds mark 2 but I hear things have moved on a lot since then.
Logged
Snook
Guest
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:54:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: mcfoto
Hi
I think the AF is faster to. I also played with the CF & it has focus lock like the Phase body. Also on the top dial there is C1,C2 & C3 which I think is for 3 different set ups. The DF body (Demo) is here for the PMA show in Sydney this week @ the L&P stand. There were no instructions but it is the same set up for custom functions as the AFDII & AFDIII. I did shoot with both bodies & all the trampoline work was done with the DF body, the shutter felt solid & was very quick. This shoot was for a Flash duration test in a coming magazine article. We were planning on using the Phase camera so the DF body was an added bonus. BTW the 65+ files were AMAZING!
Cheers Denis


What is a DF body and the P65 better be amazing for the money...    
 
Snook    

Logged
DesW
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 174


« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 08:59:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: woof75
Do you mean it needs an improvement compared to the H2 or 3 or whatever were up to now. Also, to the previous poster, how were the P65 files amazing? How was the shooting speed? I do find myself more than a little tempted to try the latest nikon. I hated the 1ds mark 2 but I hear things have moved on a lot since then.

Hi,
We had 2 H1/H2 Bodies with Phase backs and apart from the odd glitch worked fine in pretty rigorous conditions( snow /sleet /rain/ Death Valley heat/ Aust outback/etc.
Since Phase got into bed with Mamiya-it has rapidly gone downhill at a rapid rate of knots!.While the backs remain Solid and as I stated previous-in my opinion the 65 + is current State of the Art in MFDB. The touted 28mm lens is Flaky--we have had two--the second one while a tad better still shows smeary edges--slect this one carefully some are less than stellar for 4KUS!
Sadly the same cannot be said for the dreadful "Phamiya" bodies--they are clunky,piss poorly made-we have two, one is already back at MAC for the second time-- the failure rate in our experience is horrendous.

Avoid if you can they are a POS!

Rant over

DesW
Logged
gwhitf
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 818


« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 09:36:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: DesW
We had 2 H1/H2 Bodies with Phase backs and apart from the odd glitch worked fine in pretty rigorous conditions( snow /sleet /rain/ Death Valley heat/ Aust outback/etc.

I concur with this gentleman. The H2 and P45+ combo that I'm using is just amazing under hard, pressure conditions. Tethered or to card. Would I love a P65+? Absolutely. But other than completely mask-free viewing, I can't imagine what I'd really gain, file quality-wise.

The H2 meter is shockingly dead on the money, 99% of the time. Set up those Custom Functions buttons to your taste, and get to work -- the CF buttons make a world of difference. Rain or shine, heat or cold. Couple it with the new features of 4.81, and it's really a winner. (Just don't stop any lens down past f11 though).
Logged
woof75
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581


« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: gwhitf
I concur with this gentleman. The H2 and P45+ combo that I'm using is just amazing under hard, pressure conditions. Tethered or to card. Would I love a P65+? Absolutely. But other than completely mask-free viewing, I can't imagine what I'd really gain, file quality-wise.

The H2 meter is shockingly dead on the money, 99% of the time. Set up those Custom Functions buttons to your taste, and get to work -- the CF buttons make a world of difference. Rain or shine, heat or cold. Couple it with the new features of 4.81, and it's really a winner. (Just don't stop any lens down past f11 though).


It's funny I found the same as you guys with the afd 1 compared to the Phamiya, the afd 1 has never missed a beat except a broken shutter which didn't go before it went past it's rating anyway. The Phamiya was just a pain, I don't like the hand grip as much as the afd 1 either. Maybe the firmware updates will help the focus issues? I'm not complaining mind, it all means I just carry on happy as Larry with an 800 dollar camera body that I really like.
Logged
DesW
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 174


« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John-S
I have owned one AFD body and two AFDII bodies, never an issue with any of them. They did their job. Not the uber-best cameras out there but work just fine.

After years of listening to the few that bitch about how bad Canon lenses or bodies are and 100's of other photo equipment, I just stop listening to the blow hards. Gear works, gear breaks. The categorically emphatic statements of something is better than something else just doesn't fly anymore to me. You have to read between the lines of statements from some people.

If shit works, use it. If gold plated shit breaks, get something else. I am nearing a zen-like state of little to no personal attachment to all this crap.

Currently the order of cameras I get most enjoyment from most to least, Fuji GW690III, RZ67, Canon whatever. Now reverse that order for how much they do actually get used. That's what causes so much disgruntledness in all of us.

Yoh!

Bang on the Money JohnS!--Yes indeed how failures/crapouts/etc rarely if ever came into the equation with the Cameras we all used and abused--ah wish we had reliability like the ones I used

Hasselblad V Series / Nikon F / Leica M3 /Linhof 617/ Sinar P2.

Ranted out

DesW
Logged
woof75
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 581


« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: John-S
I have owned one AFD body and two AFDII bodies, never an issue with any of them. They did their job. Not the uber-best cameras out there but work just fine.

After years of listening to the few that bitch about how bad Canon lenses or bodies are and 100's of other photo equipment, I just stop listening to the blow hards. Gear works, gear breaks. The categorically emphatic statements of something is better than something else just doesn't fly anymore to me. You have to read between the lines of statements from some people.

If shit works, use it. If gold plated shit breaks, get something else. I am nearing a zen-like state of little to no personal attachment to all this crap.

Currently the order of cameras I get most enjoyment from most to least, Fuji GW690III, RZ67, Canon whatever. Now reverse that order for how much they do actually get used. That's what causes so much disgruntledness in all of us.

I find the trick is to realise that 99 percent of everything you hear is bull, but you always have to ask and always have to listen or you'll never hear the 1 percent thats true. I have absolutely no personal attachment to any of my gear at all, if I found something else that was better I'd swap in a second.
Logged
Frank Doorhof
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1518


WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 01:20:14 AM »
ReplyReply

To add.
When reading on the net remember that people will often only tell what's NOT working and not what IS working.
Also what's sold most will get the most negative responses over all.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad