Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Grand Staircase/Capitol Reef  (Read 2866 times)
jdlevy

« on: April 21, 2004, 08:10:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Alan,

If you are spending a couple of days at Capitol Reef, make one of them the Cathedral Valley drive on the north side of the park. I have seen other than SUV's on the road, but I would recommend a vehicle capable of off road travel. It is a great drive with wonderful colors and formations and it should not be crowded.

Bill Belvin
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 06:45:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Photographing Moqui marbles are of interest to some, you need to go out to spencer flats to see them, do a web search.
In the fall when the Cottonwoods are changing the hike to Phipps Arch had many good ops. In the warmer months the following canyons: Peekaboo, Spooky, Zebra, and Neon.  Take minimal gear if going into any of the first three which are narrow slots and may have water/midget rattlesnakes in them.  None of these measure up to Antelope canyon though.  I have also seen commercial photographs of Grosvenor(sp?) arch and the pipes at Kodachrome State Park.
snoleoprd

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 06:24:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions for this area? I know about Devils Garden and Calf Creek falls and the main areas, any other suggestions? Around first week of may.

Alan

Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
b.e.wilson

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 03:26:20 PM »
ReplyReply

Grand Staircase is a big place, lots to see.

I like the Dry Fork of the Coyote, has a nice narrows and a couple nice slot canyons, just off the Hole-in-the-Rock road.

Also, The Burr Trail is quite nice, especially Long Canyon and some of the checkered Navajo buttes toward the town of Boulder.

Bill Belvin
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 06:48:44 AM »
ReplyReply

One more, the badlands East of Capitol Reef near Caineville Mesa (sometimes called the Blue Hills) can be very beautiful in the  right light.  One of Kelsey's hiking books describes a good hike in this area.
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad