Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Using GIMP and Aperture together  (Read 12571 times)
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Someone suggested to me that I use GIMP for Mac to post-process my photos as a free alternative to Elements. The downloading process looked involved when I took a look at it yesterday. And the GIMP website inferred that there were possible problems in using GIMP with Mac.

All I use right now for post-processing is Aperture. I downloaded the Elements 6 trial version several months ago; I promptly got sick so I wasn't able to fully explore it in the 30 days. I currently have a trial version of Silver Efex Pro downloaded that I'm trying. Someone suggested to me that there's an Aperture B&W "brick" that is free that does just as good a job as the Nik software. I've not heard of that and don't know what I'm looking for, or where to look for it for that matter.

My purpose in having more post-processing software lies in my having seen what layers can do for a photo. I also am VERY interested in B&W conversions; I fell in love with B&W back in the early 80's when I had my own film darkroom. Unless I'm doing something very wrong, the Aperture B&W conversion seems to fall short of my expectations. The Elements 6 B&W converter left me thinking there had to be more possibilities. I'm not interested at this time in doing any graphics-style work with my photos.

Currently I have an iMac w/24" screen, OS X 10.5.7 and the latest update of Aperture.

Any advice would be appreciated. My biggest fear at the moment is installing GIMP only to have Aperture not work correctly.
Thank you.
Logged
Desmond
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 47


« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Silver efex pro let me achieve the effect I want much faster than aperture or ps, says 15 minutes vs hours. I trust with good skill an experience it is possible to get the same result in ps quickly. But for amature like me, the benefit I got from silver efex justified the money.
Using PS or aperture is like flying a plane, one needs to tweak a lot of control, every single one has its effect, they work together to do the job. Silver efex speaks the language of monochrome photography, much more like driving a car, knowing not to turn or step too hard you are basically fine.
Of course the capbility of local control in ps is missing in silver efex.
Logged

Regards,

Desmond
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Desmond
Silver efex pro let me achieve the effect I want much faster than aperture or ps, says 15 minutes vs hours. I trust with good skill an experience it is possible to get the same result in ps quickly. But for amature like me, the benefit I got from silver efex justified the money.
Using PS or aperture is like flying a plane, one needs to tweak a lot of control, every single one has its effect, they work together to do the job. Silver efex speaks the language of monochrome photography, much more like driving a car, knowing not to turn or step too hard you are basically fine.
Of course the capbility of local control in ps is missing in silver efex.

Desmond,
I agree with your plane flying analogy when it comes to using the adjustments in Aperture.

Have you any comments on using GIMP for Mac with Aperture?
Logged
Desmond
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 47


« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:03:49 AM »
ReplyReply

I don't have any experience with Gimp for Mac, if you really worry there is conflict running Gimp with Aperture, Time Machine can help you to get back to the state before installing Gimp.
Logged

Regards,

Desmond
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 07:15:48 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Desmond
I don't have any experience with Gimp for Mac, if you really worry there is conflict running Gimp with Aperture, Time Machine can help you to get back to the state before installing Gimp.

Desmond,
I just have such a great track record with Aperture running properly for the 1 and 1/2 years I've used it. I know I can recover my files through Time Machine; I have an external hard drive I back up to as well. I think I'm going to nix the GIMP idea.

Thanks for the conversation.
Logged
Arthur Clune
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 10


« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 10:26:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: shutterpup
Desmond,
I just have such a great track record with Aperture running properly for the 1 and 1/2 years I've used it. I know I can recover my files through Time Machine; I have an external hard drive I back up to as well. I think I'm going to nix the GIMP idea.

GIMP doesn't integrate with Aperture any more (or less) than PS Elements does. It's just an external program and you set it to be your external editor in the preferences. Aperture then hands over a tiff and gets one back when the gimp is done with it. If it's not worked, you'll see it straight away but it'll only affect the one photo.
Logged
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Arthur Clune
GIMP doesn't integrate with Aperture any more (or less) than PS Elements does. It's just an external program and you set it to be your external editor in the preferences. Aperture then hands over a tiff and gets one back when the gimp is done with it. If it's not worked, you'll see it straight away but it'll only affect the one photo.


Arthur,
So have you used GIMP successfully yourself? The reason I ask is that on GIMP's own site it was noted that there can be problems using GIMP/Aperture. It was inferred that GIMP can change a smoothly running Aperture into something that does not run so smoothly. I understand what you're saying about external editors; so far I've tried PS Elements, Silver Efex Pro and the Canon external editor. I understand I think how to use them. I just don't want Aperture not working properly and the GIMP website infers that that can happen due to the way the two interface.
Logged
Arthur Clune
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 10


« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: shutterpup
Arthur,
So have you used GIMP successfully yourself?

I don't use it myself regularly, but I have played with it. I currently trying to work out if the GIMP will get 16-bit support before I've saved up for CS4
Logged
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Arthur Clune
I don't use it myself regularly, but I have played with it. I currently trying to work out if the GIMP will get 16-bit support before I've saved up for CS4


Thanks for the clarification Arthur. When I was poking around at the GIMP forum, I was under the impression that no one is currently doing any further work on GIMP. But that can all change quickly. I can't afford CS4 yet either, and the truth is, I'm not sure I really need it. I don't do a lot of graphics work right now, and that's where I think CS4 shines.
Logged
Clearair
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 05:13:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: shutterpup
Thanks for the clarification Arthur. When I was poking around at the GIMP forum, I was under the impression that no one is currently doing any further work on GIMP. But that can all change quickly. I can't afford CS4 yet either, and the truth is, I'm not sure I really need it. I don't do a lot of graphics work right now, and that's where I think CS4 shines.


I tried GIMP a long time ago before committing to yet more expenditure on PS. Found it lacking but I was sure with development this would not be the case. I hate the notion that we all need PS. There are other alternatives but I was already a PS user as Aperture (thanks Apple) was not available to give all photographers a choice for post processing without a do all massively bloated exel of the graphics world.
I assume you know that some of the solutions you have discussed in this thread are known as plug ins and as such don't all run natively in Aperture.
It is my experience that to get the full value and convenience of the plug ins speed of work flow only works for me if I have access to both Aperture and PS. OnOne plug ins I use, use actions linked directly to PS which must be running at the same time, this is buggy at present with CS3.
I like Silver FX B&W but can't justify the cost,  and other plug ins have proved no better than simple solutions in PS yet cost 200!.....
Aperture is a bargain at it's present price, I need 175 to upgrade to CS4 just to get a PS version raw converter which supports a 5D mk2 for reasons I won't bore you with and just like you guys I don't need all the other stuff.
Are Adobe not supporting photographers needs with CS3 anymore?

I think I may have answered some questions with this last point. Support with GIMP?
Logged
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 04:05:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Clearair,
I thank you for your response. I do understand your workflow and it seems similar to mine.

What I don't understand is your last sentence: Support with GIMP? What do you mean or what are you asking?
Logged
Clearair
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: shutterpup
Clearair,
I thank you for your response. I do understand your workflow and it seems similar to mine.

What I don't understand is your last sentence: Support with GIMP? What do you mean or what are you asking?


I would have a concern about building a work flow around a software solution that may not have support for the end user. I have enough irritation at Adobe and Apple with updates for new camera's. I know the camera manufacturers are constantly moving the bar but still.

No native tethered support in Aperture for the 5D mk2? A most eagily waited for camera in a long time, or no camera raw support for the same camera in PS CS3, but OK in CS4?
I lost the use of a two year old video camera to iMovie after an upgrade?HuhHuh? Had to buy Final cut.

I believe that GIMP is developed voluntarily, so am uncertain as to support. But at least it's very cheap.
Logged
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Clearair,
Ok. I follow you now. I read a lot in the "Wilbur loves Apple" forums over on GIMP.net and I am uncertain as to the level of support available. The forum is sparse and not up to date. The download area gives you all the downloads you supposedly need but it doesn't appear to be all that straightforward.

You're a fellow Canon user! I wish you luck in getting support for your 5D MkII. My first DSLR was the original Rebel which was sold to a friend when I bought my 40D. I currently have no need to upgrade, but hubby and I have agreed that our next camera will be a full-frame sensor camera.
Logged
Clearair
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 131


« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 04:41:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: shutterpup
Clearair,
Ok. I follow you now. I read a lot in the "Wilbur loves Apple" forums over on GIMP.net and I am uncertain as to the level of support available. The forum is sparse and not up to date. The download area gives you all the downloads you supposedly need but it doesn't appear to be all that straightforward.

You're a fellow Canon user! I wish you luck in getting support for your 5D MkII. My first DSLR was the original Rebel which was sold to a friend when I bought my 40D. I currently have no need to upgrade, but hubby and I have agreed that our next camera will be a full-frame sensor camera.


I use the 40D for action/wildlife and back up. Waiting for canon to make a 50D upgrade thats worthwhile as I like the 40D to much to sell.

The 5D is a slower camera in action and is used by me for studio and landscapes. But it has been pressed into service from dust in Africa and recently at a motor racing event. A very capable camera.

Canon focus issues only apply to the cameras I choose to use in action photography and even as they are now I get 90% unless I'm sloppy.

Canon DSLR's to date.

350
400
Two 30D's
Two 40D's
Two 5D's
5D mk2

I am not a brand slave and stay with Canon because of the superb lens range which I would struggle to find in other makes. I don't like the full on pro bodies as I carry my gear  a lot and these monsters are heavy.

I hope you get your FF camera but do keep the 40D as well if you can.

Logged
shutterpup
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 489


« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 07:11:24 AM »
ReplyReply

I agree about the glass quality of Canon; in fact, that's where my money goes right now instead of on another body. My hubby has a Sony A700 that he loves. Early on, I wished that I had a camera such as the Sony or Pentax that has in-the-body stabilization, but I find I'm not as adverse to using a tripod as I once was lol.
Logged
Bill VN
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 35


« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimponosx/ for the Mac version of GIMP.

Quote from: shutterpup
Someone suggested to me that I use GIMP for Mac to post-process my photos as a free alternative to Elements. The downloading process looked involved when I took a look at it yesterday. And the GIMP website inferred that there were possible problems in using GIMP with Mac.

All I use right now for post-processing is Aperture. I downloaded the Elements 6 trial version several months ago; I promptly got sick so I wasn't able to fully explore it in the 30 days. I currently have a trial version of Silver Efex Pro downloaded that I'm trying. Someone suggested to me that there's an Aperture B&W "brick" that is free that does just as good a job as the Nik software. I've not heard of that and don't know what I'm looking for, or where to look for it for that matter.

My purpose in having more post-processing software lies in my having seen what layers can do for a photo. I also am VERY interested in B&W conversions; I fell in love with B&W back in the early 80's when I had my own film darkroom. Unless I'm doing something very wrong, the Aperture B&W conversion seems to fall short of my expectations. The Elements 6 B&W converter left me thinking there had to be more possibilities. I'm not interested at this time in doing any graphics-style work with my photos.

Currently I have an iMac w/24" screen, OS X 10.5.7 and the latest update of Aperture.

Any advice would be appreciated. My biggest fear at the moment is installing GIMP only to have Aperture not work correctly.
Thank you.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad