Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: What brightness value to match prints?  (Read 2949 times)
Per Zangenberg

« on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:07 AM »
ReplyReply

I got a Spyder3 Elite where I can input the wanted black and brightness values. I read someone stating 120 as the optimal brightness value, but it seems brighter than what I had before calibrating.

Can someone offer there experience with good value so the prints doent turn out too dark. This is using a properly calibrated printer or online printing service.
Jack Flesher

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:05:37 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Per Zangenberg
I got a Spyder3 Elite where I can input the wanted black and brightness values. I read someone stating 120 as the optimal brightness value, but it seems brighter than what I had before calibrating.

Can someone offer there experience with good value so the prints doent turn out too dark. This is using a properly calibrated printer or online printing service.

120 is sort of a generally accepted defacto standard for LCD displays and seems to work well for a majority of viewing situations.  Ideally, you will set the brightness to match levels of your viewing room.  The reality is unless you live in a cave or hang your prints on a wall that is lit by direct sunlight, anything in the 110 to 125 range is probably close enough.

Cheers,

digitaldog

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Per Zangenberg

There's no magic number. The number that results in a match between the print you view under proper viewing conditions and the display is the right number. Same with White Point. In terms of cd/m2, might be 120, 130, 90, all based on the print viewing conditions. Since so many viewing conditions differ, there's no way to recommend the right value, YMMV.

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
Per Zangenberg

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:25:28 AM »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the answers guys. I have now set it at 118 and will leave it there and see...
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad