Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: 'Phase One Master Class' Workshop with Drew Gardner  (Read 15290 times)
Syl
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 4


WWW
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »
ReplyReply

London-based Drew Gardner will lead the week-long Phase One Master Class in Paso Robles, California, October 25-30, 2009. This 5-day workshop is a hands-on opportunity to shoot Phase One digital cameras in a variety of locations. The workshop is also sponsored by Elinchrom and Manfrotto – who are providing lighting and grip gear.

If you are a DSLR shooter who is thinking of stepping up to medium format, then you will find this workshop to be the perfect opportunity to road-test the industry-leading Phase One system.  If you currently use Phase One, the workshop will help you unlock the potential of Phase One cameras and software. In addition to Drew’s expertise, a Phase One Factory Technician will be in attendance to answer your most detailed questions.

Located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, Paso Robles is the hub of California's central-coast wine district. With a landscape that resembles Tuscany and over 200 wineries in the area, Paso Robles Workshops is quickly becoming a popular destination for photographers.

Enrollment is limited to 15 students. For more information, see the Paso Robles Workshops site (PasoRoblesWorkshops.com).


'Europa' by Drew Gardner

IMPORTANT NOTE (added 20 Aug): 'Europa' was not created for or by Phase One. It has not been used in an ad by Phase One. As detailed in the workshop link above, Phase One is sponsoring the workshop through the contribution of cameras and technical support for student use. Again as detailed via the link, the workshop is being produced by PRW – which is also the originator of this post.

I elected to use 'Europa' here because it is the cover image for Drew's tutorial DVD that he released earlier this year. It is part of his Forest Series. I encourage you to look at Drew's portfolio site to see more of the work from his Forest series. All involve contemporary interpretations of iconic women from mythology and literature.

Further, as the historical and artistic context of Drew's 'Europa' is not apparent to many who have commented on this forum, I have appended the following series of images that depict 'Europa' from ancient through to modern times. If you previously found Drew's image above to be offensive or baseless, I encourage you to reconsider it in the context of the following:


1st-century fresco of 'Europa' discovered in Pompeii


'Abduction of Europa' by Rembrandt, circa 1632


'Europa' by Coypel, 1726


'Abduction of Europe' outside the European Parliament building in Strasbourg, France


2 Euro Coin, circa 2007
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:47:52 PM by Syl » Logged

[span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial']

Syl Arena
Syl Arena Photography
Paso Robles, California

[span style='color:blue']www.sylarenaphoto.com[/span][/span][/span]
narikin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 861


« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 06:05:42 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm sorry, but Phase really need to look at what they are doing promoting images like this.
Maybe Mr Gardner knows his stuff technically, but really - a naked model astride a Water Buffalo in a misty forest. and its called... "Europa" ??

isn't this somewhat offensive (1) to Women, and (2) to anyone who cares about photography and has a brain?

Dear Phase One: it is 2009, not 1969.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:07:50 AM by narikin » Logged
amsp
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 788


« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
ReplyReply

I agree, PhaseOne needs to step it up quality-wise on their branding, they are hopelessly behind Hasselblad in that respect.
Logged
feppe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2909

Oh this shows up in here!


WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Since this is clearly a marketing push, I assume the workshop is free

Quote from: narikin
I'm sorry, but Phase really need to look at what they are doing promoting images like this.
Maybe Mr Gardner knows his stuff technically, but really - a naked model astride a Water Buffalo in a misty forest. and its called... "Europa" ??

isn't this somewhat offensive (1) to Women, and (2) to anyone who cares about photography and has a brain?

Dear Phase One: it is 2009, not 1969.

Isn't much (most?) fine art photography worth more than a glance offensive or at least provocative?

Not that I agree it's offensive - I don't and it's not.
Logged

TMARK
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1843


« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Its not offensive.  TJ Donkey Show, now that's offensive.  

A fine image devoid of any substance.  In fact, its so stupid it actually detracts from the message of the workshop.  Bad bad bad marketing.  Phase needs to get a real marketing system together, that is coherent and tasteful, unless this is the type of image the dentists want to make with their Phase backs.
Logged
Imaginara
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 114


« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
ReplyReply

Damn.. tough crowd in here =) I'm actually attending a workshop/seminar (1 day) next week in Gothenburg with Drew Gardner. And quite looking forward to it. Always nice to see another photographer at work, at least for me since im quite new to this =)
Logged
narikin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 861


« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »
ReplyReply

and so many great photographers use Phase products, that they are spoiled for choice.
I begin to wonder if they can actually tell the difference?

Mr Gardner may be an absolute ace technically, but this sort of imagery does no one any favors, and puts me off Phase as a company.



Logged
TMARK
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1843


« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:26:59 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: narikin
and so many great photographers use Phase products, that they are spoiled for choice.
I begin to wonder if they can actually tell the difference?

Mr Gardner may be an absolute ace technically, but this sort of imagery does no one any favors, and puts me off Phase as a company.

He does nice work, in fact, sometimes really nice.  This image, well, it aint nice.
Logged
Voltman
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 62


« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 06:25:36 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: narikin
I'm sorry, but Phase really need to look at what they are doing promoting images like this.
Maybe Mr Gardner knows his stuff technically, but really - a naked model astride a Water Buffalo in a misty forest. and its called... "Europa" ??

isn't this somewhat offensive (1) to Women, and (2) to anyone who cares about photography and has a brain?

Dear Phase One: it is 2009, not 1969.

On the contrary I visited his website and found his photography unique and interesting - in particular his "Descendants" series.  I also quite like the Europa idea but would find it more appealing had he used a blonde instead and cropped tighter on the scene.  

In case you've missed the theme on the water buffalo  - Europa was a Greek goddess stolen by Zeus and taken away on a bull.  Obviously the photographer didn't have a bull at hand so perhaps he resorted to using a water buffalo - not surprising since the forest appears to be somewhere in Asia.

Logged
feppe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2909

Oh this shows up in here!


WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 06:29:16 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Voltman
In case you've missed the theme on the water buffalo  - Europa was a Greek goddess stolen by Zeus and taken away on a bull.  Obviously the photographer didn't have a bull at hand so perhaps he resorted to using a water buffalo - not surprising since the forest appears to be somewhere in Asia.

Let's not get Greek mythology in the way of righteous indignation over a photograph of a naked woman on a water buffalo.

/sarcasm
Logged

Voltman
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 62


« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 07:04:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: feppe
Let's not get Greek mythology in the way of righteous indignation over a photograph of a naked woman on a water buffalo.

/sarcasm

Feppe I stand corrected - you're absolutely correct - we shouldn't let classical mythology and fine arts get in the way.  After all it is 2009, not 1969.  Now I'm concerned about the influence of this event on the water buffalo's sexual development later in life.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:07:58 AM by Voltman » Logged
Willow Photography
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 255


WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 07:19:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: narikin
I'm sorry, but Phase really need to look at what they are doing promoting images like this.
Maybe Mr Gardner knows his stuff technically, but really - a naked model astride a Water Buffalo in a misty forest. and its called... "Europa" ??

isn't this somewhat offensive (1) to Women, and (2) to anyone who cares about photography and has a brain?

Dear Phase One: it is 2009, not 1969.


Would have been so nice to see some of your pictures Mr Unknown.
Just to see if you are in 2009 and not in 1969 or some other year.

It so easy to criticize other when you are anonymous .

And maybe this was offensive to women in 1969, but not in 2009.

So let us see your pictures, made with or without your brain .-)


Willow

Logged

Willow Photography
Syl
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 4


WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »
ReplyReply

This work was not created for or by Phase One. The photograph is part of Drew's Forest Series. When considering an artistic interpretation, context is important. I encourage you to look at Drew's portfolio site to see more of the work from his Forest series.

I elected to use the image in this post as it is the cover image for Drew's tutorial DVD that he released earlier this year. The DVD shows the making of 'Europa' in the UK (not in Asia as mistakenly suggested).

Further, as the historical and artistic context of Drew's work is not apparent to many on this forum, I have appended a series of images that depict 'Europa' from ancient through to modern times. If you previously found Drew's 'Europa' to be offensive or baseless, I encourage you to reconsider it in the context of the collection of images that I have added to the original post above.

Just to be clear, as described in detail on the workshop page linked above, Phase One is sponsoring the workshop by providing cameras and technical support for the students. Paso Robles Workshops is the producer of the workshop and remains totally responsible for the marketing of the workshop and the post on this forum. Thx.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:43:59 PM by Syl » Logged

[span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Arial']

Syl Arena
Syl Arena Photography
Paso Robles, California

[span style='color:blue']www.sylarenaphoto.com[/span][/span][/span]
Bill Caulfeild-Browne
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 310


WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Syl
This work was not created for or by Phase One. The photograph is part of Drew's Forest Series. When considering an artistic interpretation, context is important. I encourage you to look at Drew's portfolio site to see more of the work from his Forest series.

I elected to use the image in this post as it is the cover image for Drew's tutorial DVD that he released earlier this year. The DVD shows the making of 'Europa' in the UK (not in Asia as mistakenly suggested).

Further, as the historical and artistic context of Drew's work is not apparent to many on this forum, I have appended a series of images that depict 'Europa' from ancient through to modern times. If you previously found Drew's 'Europa' to be offensive or baseless, I encourage you to reconsider it in the context of the collection of images that I have added to the original post above.

Just to be clear, as described in detail on the workshop page linked above, Phase One is sponsoring the workshop by providing cameras and technical support for the students. Paso Robles Workshops is the producer of the workshop and remains totally responsible for the marketing of the workshop and the post on this forum. Thx.

I don't know if I'm simply politically incorrect, but I'm quite surprised at the negative comments this image has engendered. Personally, I find it interesting and arresting, though I find the balance not quite right.

This is one person's attempt to express himself and I think that's great.

Bill
Logged
digitaldog
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 9191



WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 07:53:58 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: billcb
I don't know if I'm simply politically incorrect, but I'm quite surprised at the negative comments this image has engendered. Personally, I find it interesting and arresting, though I find the balance not quite right.

I totally agree. I guess that's what makes for horse races. I also find it both interesting and as you say, arresting. Something, I can't quite put my finger on it is, as you say a bit out of balance. But there's no question this fellow has an eye and interesting perspective and doesn't deserve anything other than either constructive criticism or the admission that we all have different views towards art. The guy ain't no hack!
Logged

Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
Voltman
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 62


« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Syl
...
Further, as the historical and artistic context of Drew's work is not apparent to many on this forum, I have appended a series of images that depict 'Europa' from ancient through to modern times. If you previously found Drew's 'Europa' to be offensive or baseless, I encourage you to reconsider it in the context of the collection of images that I have added to the original post above.
...
And here is the full breadth of Coypel's "Rape of Europa"
[attachment=16155:No_l_Nic...l_Europe.jpg]

Which can be seen in Philadelphia Museum of Art ...

Is that a penis on the cherub? Oh no!!
Logged
feppe
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2909

Oh this shows up in here!


WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 05:06:19 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: billcb
I don't know if I'm simply politically incorrect, but I'm quite surprised at the negative comments this image has engendered. Personally, I find it interesting and arresting, though I find the balance not quite right.

This is one person's attempt to express himself and I think that's great.

Bill

I agree on the non-offensiveness and am also impressed by the image. But let's put things into perspective: it was just one (1) poster who found the image offensive, and we're giving undue credit to the noise.
Logged

michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4896



« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 06:25:42 AM »
ReplyReply

The trend toward political correctness continues unabated. In fact I think things were a lot better in 1969 than they are now in that regard.

I know Drew, and he's a talented artist. One may not care for this particular image, but there is in my view absolutely no need for this type of indignation. Totally unwarranted.

I received an email yesterday from someone who said that I should remove the current front page photograph because it was obscene.

One has to wonder at some people's grasp of reality.

Michael
Logged
ThierryH
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 409


« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 07:06:57 AM »
ReplyReply

One has really to wonder, when seeing this!

Thierry

Quote from: michael
I received an email yesterday from someone who said that I should remove the current front page photograph because it was obscene.

One has to wonder at some people's grasp of reality.

Michael
Logged

DesW
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 174


« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michael
I received an email yesterday from someone who said that I should remove the current front page photograph because it was obscene.

One has to wonder at some people's grasp of reality.

Michael

Ha! reminds me of the Jethro Tull Album "Thick as a Brick" a similar prepubesent image was blacked out on the Aust release.

Mind you Playboy was banned in Aus then-

Blame it on the missionaries!

DesW
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad