Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Lightroom 2.4 & Apple Snow Leopard  (Read 19263 times)
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:44:46 AM »
ReplyReply

With the release of Apple Snow Leopard being released soon does anyone know if Lightroom 2.4 will work without any problems?
Just wondering since I have heard some programs may have to be updated before they will run on Snow Leopard.

Stu
Logged
knweiss
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 71


« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: StuartOnline
With the release of Apple Snow Leopard being released soon does anyone know if Lightroom 2.4 will work without any problems?
Just wondering since I have heard some programs may have to be updated before they will run on Snow Leopard.
There's a wiki which lists the compatibility status of lots of apps: http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/. According to this list LR 2.4 does work. But e.g. CS2+CS3 do not!

Personally I'm still worried about the driver support for my Epson Stylus Pro 3800 (especially regarding the 64-bit kernel).
Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: knweiss
There's a wiki which lists the compatibility status of lots of apps: http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/. According to this list LR 2.4 does work. But e.g. CS2+CS3 do not!

Personally I'm still worried about the driver support for my Epson Stylus Pro 3800 (especially regarding the 64-bit kernel).


Thanks for the link.  I also use CS3 so now I am beginning to wonder about upgrading.
Have been thinking of upgrading to CS4 so I may have to do it now.
Maybe someone on this forum has done some of the bata testing and will be able to report about CS3 and Snow Leopard.
Or maybe Michael Reichmann or Jeff Schewe have some inside information about CS3 running on Leopard along with the different printers.

Stu
Logged
phila
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 246



WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
ReplyReply

CS3 is shown as being OK!  
Logged

StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: phila
CS3 is shown as being OK!  

I see now that http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/ show CS3 OK.
However yesterday it showed it as not working. They must of updated the listing.
But anyhow it is good news.

Stu
Logged
HamSammich
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 34


« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:41:08 AM »
ReplyReply

Works fine. 10.6 runs mixed 32 and 64 bit apps and drivers transparently. The only thing that will limit you to running the 32 bit kernel is a 32 bit KEXT (kernel extension), such as a mouse driver or VM driver.

And even in 32 bit boot, 64 bit apps still get >4gig RAM support, as long as the app doesn't make any special 64 bit kernel calls (which, apparently, are rarely needed). And no, I'm not under NDA.
Logged
budjames
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 687


WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 03:45:44 AM »
ReplyReply

I just upgraded the RAM in my MacPro 8-core to 32GB. I am ready for Snow Leopard!

My only concern is having the drivers available for peripherals. I have a HP 2200 B&W laser and Dell 5110cn color laser for general home and business printing and an Epson R2400 for my photography prints. Does any one know if the available drivers will work with Snow Leopard?

BTW, I have the 4 x 2GB RAM sticks for sale that I removed from my MP. They are for 667 Mhz (early 2007) MP.

Cheers.
Bud James
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:48:59 AM by budjames » Logged

Bud James
North Wales, PA
www.budjamesphotography.com
Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:27:13 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote
and Dell 5110cn color laser

How the 'frig' did you get the Dell to work with your mac?

I have had a Dell 5110cn sitting here gathering dust since I went mac more than a year ago (the dell PC it came with was drop kicked out the door 5 minutes after I first booted the mac :-) - its basically a 5th wheel to me. But would like to get it going for word docs etc..

Can you link me to a post or details on how to get it going with OSX?

Quote
I just upgraded the RAM in my MacPro 8-core to 32GB. I am ready for Snow Leopard!

ditto - I now have 32 gig of ram in my mac pro as well. And love it.  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:28:24 AM by Josh-H » Logged

StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »
ReplyReply

Just a follow up as I this morning pre ordered Snow Leopard from Apple:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X
Received conformation I should receive if on Friday August 28th.
So I will soon know if these programs work with the new Snow Leopard.

Stu
Logged
James R
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 250


« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 04:38:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Like many, I have concern about the update and my print drivers.  I'm sure the drivers will be upgraded, but, wondering if there will be any delays.  I would have to have a computer and no printer, even if it were only for a few weeks.

Also wonder about Capture One Pro 4.0.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:40:12 PM by James R » Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: James R
Like many, I have concern about the update and my print drivers.  I'm sure the drivers will be upgraded, but, wondering if there will be any delays.  I would have to have a computer and no printer, even if it were only for a few weeks.

Also wonder about Capture One Pro 4.0.


You may be correct about the print drivers. Currently I am using a Canon IPF5000 and HP Design Jet 130.
According to the discussion forum on Canon ImagePROGRAF Printer Wiki: http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/13195135
it is posted that it could be weeks until drivers for Canon IPF5000 printer are ready.

I also find out via Macworld Website that Snow Leopard http://www.macworld.com/article/142420/200...essupgrade.html
that it has a new feature:

Automatic update for printer drivers. When a printer is connected Snow Leopard connects to the Internet and downloads the most current driver for the device. Snow Leopard also periodically checks via Software Update to ensure that the most up-to-date driver is installed.

This is a cool feature.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:46:07 PM by StuartOnline » Logged
stewarthemley
Guest
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
ReplyReply

I'll bet there's a bunch of us worrying about printer drivers, et al. I also have an "ancient" (but still pretty good) Designjet 130 and it's fingers crossed time on that one.
Logged
Mark F
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 345


« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »
ReplyReply

While I'm fairly new to the Mac, I learned the hard way in the Windows world that it does not pay to be the guinea pig on new operating systems or major upgrades. No matter how thoroughly something has been tested there always seem to be glitches and conflicts that have to be fixed and somehow they seem to wind up on my computer.  So  I think I'll let others be ahead of the curve on this one and wait a couple of months to let things shake out. In the meanwhile, I find Leopard 10.5.8 to be perfectly adequate, especially when compared to Windows.

Josh-H :  When I bought my Mac I also bought an HP multi-function laser printer/scanner and could not get it to work. HP support finally gave up and told me that their focus was the WIndows world, not Mac.  So I returned the machine and bought a Brother instead that worked right out of the box.
Logged

Mark
ajtaylor
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 47


WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Mark F
While I'm fairly new to the Mac, I learned the hard way in the Windows world that it does not pay to be the guinea pig on new operating systems or major upgrades. No matter how thoroughly something has been tested there always seem to be glitches and conflicts that have to be fixed and somehow they seem to wind up on my computer.  So  I think I'll let others be ahead of the curve on this one and wait a couple of months to let things shake out. In the meanwhile, I find Leopard 10.5.8 to be perfectly adequate, especially when compared to Windows.

That thinking doesn't always apply, at least not to companies with proper software development cycles for their OS.

At Sun, for example, the way things worked was that any bugs reported in the current release of Solaris were *always* fixed in the development release first, then backported as patches to earlier releases if appropriate or desired. So, when you installed Solaris 10 FCS, you got all the bug fixes that had been reported up until the code freeze point, so you should have a more stable release.

I hazard a guess that MacOS development works in a similar way. Yes, there will be new features, or major rewrites of sub-systems or applications (Finder in the case of Snow Leopard), which does have a bearing.
Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »
ReplyReply

I like some others I have been concerned about Adobe Photoshop CS3 running on Snow Leopard.
After reading the article below I feel much better about CS3 running on Snow Leopard.

Information about Photoshop CS3 on Snow Leopard
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08/pscs3...nowleopard.html
Logged
Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 12:16:01 AM »
ReplyReply

I have snow leopard now installed on my mac book pro and mac pro - no problems at all with the upgrades.

Immediate impression - its a LOT faster.  

So far all my applications are working without issue - except my Sonos multiroom audio application which crashes under Snow Leopard.

CS4 and Lightroom no issues whatsoever.
Logged

StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 07:00:59 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Josh-H
I have snow leopard now installed on my mac book pro and mac pro - no problems at all with the upgrades.

Immediate impression - its a LOT faster.  

So far all my applications are working without issue - except my Sonos multiroom audio application which crashes under Snow Leopard.

CS4 and Lightroom no issues whatsoever.

Good to hear that Lightroom has no problems with Snow Leopard.
I should receive my copy via FedEx sometime today.
Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: stewarthemley
I'll bet there's a bunch of us worrying about printer drivers, et al. I also have an "ancient" (but still pretty good) Designjet 130 and it's fingers crossed time on that one.

Good news.
Apple has posted "Mac OS X v10.6: Printer and scanner software" supported with Mac OS X v10.6 as of August 27, 2009.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

Design Jet 130 along with many other printers are listed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:26:02 AM by StuartOnline » Logged
Josh-H
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1905



WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: StuartOnline
Good news.
Apple has posted "Mac OS X v10.6: Printer and scanner software" supported with Mac OS X v10.6 as of August 27, 2009.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

Design Jet 130 along with many other printers are listed.

Unfortunately the Canon IPF100 series are not listed and the current drivers DONT work.
Logged

StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 275


WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 01:45:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Josh-H
Unfortunately the Canon IPF100 series are not listed and the current drivers DONT work.


Well after installing Snow Leopard The HP Design Jet 130 ran with hardly any problems.
However the Canon IOF5000 is a NO GO.
Go figure how an older printer link the HP 130 works but not the newer IPF5000.
Have heard it will be October before drivers are available for the Canons.

Now a followup about the HP 130.
After testing with Lighroom it will not accept Profiles.
Meaning it always reverts back to Manage By Printer.
This is a bummer. No driver for the Canon IPF5000 and the HP 130 will not recognize Print Profiles.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:01:28 PM by StuartOnline » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad