Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Lightroom 2.4 & Apple Snow Leopard  (Read 19807 times)
Pinga
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm leaving my prints in "Photo Realistic" and they seem fine.  I can't exactly be sure the quality is identical as pre-snow leopard, however.  

Pretty much on the same boat here. I suppose I can wait a month or two for new drivers & profiles from epson as my need for a printer is not so critical.  But it will suck to have to get rid of my 2200 because of this - i'd definitely feel better with Epson addressing this issue.  

I do have a license for VMWare, maybe I can host a windows virtual machine and print thru it instead, but it seems like a bunch of BS to deal with.   Let's hope Epson comes thru for us.

Good luck!
p.
Logged
peter_964rs
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 03:50:50 AM »
ReplyReply

I installed Snow Leopard on my 17" Macbook Pro yesterday.

Installation was smooth but I ended up with about ten bouncing "Software Update" icons on the Dock and a request "This software needs Rosetta" which I then installed.

iStat Menus and Microsoft Live Sync don't work, the latter is a real pain as I use that extensively. Await an ETA for a fix for both.

Lightroom is fine but ran in 32-bit mode until I performed cmd-I on the application icon and un-checked "run in 32-bit mode"; it is now 25-40% faster rendering previews for the Sony A900 images I have.

Slightly disappointed that v2.4 does not appear to make use of Grand Central Dispatch out of the box to leverage the power of the co-processors. Perhaps someone could confirm if this is in v2.5?
Logged
madmanchan
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2101


« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 08:07:37 AM »
ReplyReply

LR already takes advantage of multiple cores when rendering images.
Logged

peter_964rs
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 02:28:09 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: madmanchan
LR already takes advantage of multiple cores when rendering images.
True, but what I mean is the potential massive increase in speed using the cores within the Nvidia graphics chips which are in my laptop - this is what GCD provides (if I understand correctly). For reasons best known to themselves, Apple saw fit to include two graphics coprocessors in my Macbook, the 9400 and the 9600.
Logged
Scott Martin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1311


WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 08:49:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: peter_964rs
True, but what I mean is the potential massive increase in speed using the cores within the Nvidia graphics chips which are in my laptop - this is what GCD provides (if I understand correctly). For reasons best known to themselves, Apple saw fit to include two graphics coprocessors in my Macbook, the 9400 and the 9600.
Open CL is the technology that would allow an application to utilize the GPU for certain functions. http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/
I wouldn't expect to see OpenCL compatibility in existing apps but we should see growing usage in future apps.
Logged

knweiss
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 71


« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 08:58:25 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: peter_964rs
iStat Menus and Microsoft Live Sync don't work, the latter is a real pain as I use that extensively. Await an ETA for a fix for both.
iStat Menus has an update (2.0) which works fine on SL. I've installed it myself yesterday. It now also has a 64-bit preferences pane.
Logged
budjames
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 690


WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
ReplyReply

I installed iStat Menu 2.0 on my MacPro and MacBookPro 15 both running SL. Works great!

I made a donation I like it so much. Much improved over the pre-SL version 1.3.

Bud
Logged

Bud James
North Wales, PA
www.budjamesphotography.com
dchew
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 562



WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: peter_964rs
...For reasons best known to themselves, Apple saw fit to include two graphics coprocessors in my Macbook, the 9400 and the 9600.

After just crossing the (small) pond from France to the US in a plane with no power in the seat, I'm glad they did.  My 17" mbp lasted the entire 8 hrs thanks to using the wimpy graphics processor (and of course the LED screen).

Perhaps there is some other way to reduce power draw on the fast processor that could have duplicated this battery life without a second, slow processor, but I don't know what that would be.

So I for one am glad they did it.

Dave
Logged

madmanchan
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2101


« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Onsight
Open CL is the technology that would allow an application to utilize the GPU for certain functions. http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/
I wouldn't expect to see OpenCL compatibility in existing apps but we should see growing usage in future apps.

Scott is right: in general, current applications have to be re-written to take advantage of OpenCL. Doable, but far from trivial.
Logged

StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 283


WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: DYP
Make sure that "Start Printmonitor when printing" in unchecked in Print Monitor preferences. Also check the CUPS interface and modify the connection so it is connected with LPD.

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

Doyle


I have now fooled around with trying to get the Canon IPF5000 to print with Snow Leopard for over a week now with no luck.
HP Design Jet 130 is working with hardly any problems.

Will now just wait until the driver updates from Canon are available on October 9th for the IPF5000.

Logged
Scott Martin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1311


WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 07:33:57 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: StuartOnline
I have now fooled around with trying to get the Canon IPF5000 to print with Snow Leopard for over a week now with no luck.
HP Design Jet 130 is working with hardly any problems. Will now just wait until the driver updates from Canon are available on October 9th for the IPF5000.
FWIW, Doyle "DYP" has been using several Canon iPF printers under Snow Leopard by disabling the Print Monitor.
Details at: http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/13780837
Logged

Pages: « 1 2 [3]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad