Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: It's nice to deal with Gitzo?  (Read 10755 times)
desertmike
Guest
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:36:26 AM »
ReplyReply

In light of Geoff Baehr's encouraging article about Epson, I'd like to ask for help with my own Customer Service quandary.

My Gitzo tripod leg snapped. It didn't break (in a fall) or fracture (in a drop) - nothing so obvious.
It simply snapped off in my hand ("chink!") as I was extending the legs to do some night photography. It wasn't the brittle carbon-fibre leg shaft either, but the metal hinge at the top.

Needless to say I was pretty astounded at this - Gitzo CF tripods don't come cheap (it's the GT 2540 if that means anything to you) and I was sure this would be one piece of gear that would be worth the investment. I also I thought that by completing the Extended Warranty I'd be safe. Duh me.

That was over 2 weeks and five unanswered emails ago. Unlike Mr. Baehr, I can't even speak to a customer service rep - all I have is their website email service which sends out a bland automated response etc etc.

I'm getting pretty effin' frustrated as this is a key piece of equipment which I need.

So can anybody out there give me an alternative way of contacting Gitzo, preferably a human who can help!

Thanks in advance!
Logged
Jeremy Payne
Guest
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »
ReplyReply

Where did you buy it?  I'd go to them first if you can't get the company's attention.
Logged
desertmike
Guest
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Where did you buy it?  I'd go to them first if you can't get the company's attention.

Thanks Jeremy. It bought it from B&H (overseas shipment) - so I think repairs are organised directly with the manufacturer (?) - better go and check their website again - thanks for the tip.
Logged
Thomas Krüger
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 451



WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »
ReplyReply

http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/cach...fonce/pid/15659
http://it.expopage.net/portal/stand.do?eboothid=165643

Since I'm also using a Gitzo it would be interesting to call them (I speak italian quite well)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:17:10 PM by ThomasK » Logged
desertmike
Guest
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:57:02 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: ThomasK
http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/cach...fonce/pid/15659
http://it.expopage.net/portal/stand.do?eboothid=165643

Since I'm also using a Gitzo it would be interesting to call them (I speak italian quite well)

Thanks, but my Italian is pretty much non-existent : )

However, while following-up on Jeremy's previous tip, I did find a phone number on B&H's website for Bogen Imaging so I'll give them a call.

If it takes Gitzo more than 2 weeks to respond to an email, how long will it take to repair and ship a tripod? : (


Logged
raysem
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 25



WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:41:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Just a suggestion:  Look for your national distributor (of Gitzo products) rather than dealing with Gitzo directly.

I've broken two (different) Gitzo tripods and found the service from the Canadian distributor absolutely top-notch.

I have never dealt directly with Gitzo, just the distributor here in Canada and have had excellent results in getting parts & service.

Might be worth a try....


Logged

-- Ray --

Photographing the world at 53 degrees north.
http://www.raysemenoffphotography.com
Slough
Guest
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 02:24:16 AM »
ReplyReply

We don't even know which country you are in. I am based in the UK and when I noticed the bag hook had fallen off my new tripod, I contacted the distributor (Bogen UK). The response was first rate, and a replacement was sent by next post. My guess is that they do provide customer service, but through the local representatives, in whichever country you are based.
Logged
desertmike
Guest
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:30:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Slough
We don't even know which country you are in. I am based in the UK and when I noticed the bag hook had fallen off my new tripod, I contacted the distributor (Bogen UK). The response was first rate, and a replacement was sent by next post. My guess is that they do provide customer service, but through the local representatives, in whichever country you are based.
I'm in the United Arab Emirates. Following up on previous tips I found the authorised dealer to be a consumer electronics store in Dubai. Emails and phone calls to them haven't been answered, but it is Ramadan - the whole country practically shuts down for the month.
Logged
douglasf13
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 547


« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »
ReplyReply

I had a leg on my Gitzo G1320 MKII break in the same way.  I called Bogen, and the customer service lady told me not to send it in, and to call the repair dept, because they would just send me out a new leg. I called the repair dept. and they said they couldn't, because there were to many variations of my model.  So, now I have to call customer service again.  In the meantime, I've been using a Benro carbon Fibre tripod.  Go figure.






Quote from: desertmike
In light of Geoff Baehr's encouraging article about Epson, I'd like to ask for help with my own Customer Service quandary.

My Gitzo tripod leg snapped. It didn't break (in a fall) or fracture (in a drop) - nothing so obvious.
It simply snapped off in my hand ("chink!") as I was extending the legs to do some night photography. It wasn't the brittle carbon-fibre leg shaft either, but the metal hinge at the top.

Needless to say I was pretty astounded at this - Gitzo CF tripods don't come cheap (it's the GT 2540 if that means anything to you) and I was sure this would be one piece of gear that would be worth the investment. I also I thought that by completing the Extended Warranty I'd be safe. Duh me.

That was over 2 weeks and five unanswered emails ago. Unlike Mr. Baehr, I can't even speak to a customer service rep - all I have is their website email service which sends out a bland automated response etc etc.

I'm getting pretty effin' frustrated as this is a key piece of equipment which I need.

So can anybody out there give me an alternative way of contacting Gitzo, preferably a human who can help!

Thanks in advance!
Logged
pwatkins
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 14


« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: desertmike
So can anybody out there give me an alternative way of contacting Gitzo, preferably a human who can help!

Thanks in advance!

I had a leg snap off a brand-new Gitzo GT-2541 in the snow in Yosemite last February, and it was not the fault of the tripod at all - I pushed the tripod down into the snow until the hinge snapped.

I sent it in to Bogen with a letter describing the problem (but now *how* it happened) and they fixed it; sent me the tripod back rather quickly, good as new.

The contact number I used was their general number in New Jersey, 800-652-6436.

Good luck!

Paul Watkins
Logged
ndevlin
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 580



WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
ReplyReply

I was oddly relieved to read the O/P, as up until now I thought I was the only person who believed Gitzo were shite product at shite prices.  When a leg fatally jammed, after relatively little and totally innocuous use, I took it in to my local dealer who, after two weeks, quoted me 85% of the cost of the tripod to replace one leg. The vast majority of that being the cost of the part.  Complaints to Gitzo went into the void.

Ultimately, I just left a very expensive tripod to rot in their service department. They still call me occasionally wondering when I will pick it up. I tell them right after I buy my next Gitzo...which will be shortly after hell freezes over.  

One pleasing note - some Chinese outfit now shamelessly rips-off all Gitzo's designs, and I am t reek a small measure of consumer vengeance by shamelessly encourage and rewarding their blatant IP theft.  
Logged

Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera
DesW
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 174


« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 02:08:32 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: desertmike
In light of Geoff Baehr's encouraging article about Epson, I'd like to ask for help with my own Customer Service quandary.

My Gitzo tripod leg snapped. It didn't break (in a fall) or fracture (in a drop) - nothing so obvious.
It simply snapped off in my hand ("chink!") as I was extending the legs to do some night photography. It wasn't the brittle carbon-fibre leg shaft either, but the metal hinge at the top.

Needless to say I was pretty astounded at this - Gitzo CF tripods don't come cheap (it's the GT 2540 if that means anything to you) and I was sure this would be one piece of gear that would be worth the investment. I also I thought that by completing the Extended Warranty I'd be safe. Duh me.

That was over 2 weeks and five unanswered emails ago. Unlike Mr. Baehr, I can't even speak to a customer service rep - all I have is their website email service which sends out a bland automated response etc etc.

I'm getting pretty effin' frustrated as this is a key piece of equipment which I need.

So can anybody out there give me an alternative way of contacting Gitzo, preferably a human who can help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Not in our experience-- We have 5 Gitzos --and service parts etc no problemo! Even  outside the US--We are an Aust Company.

contact:

Bogen imaging
Maurizio Bernal
Tel 201 818 9500 Ext 244
Fax 201 818 9177

Des
Logged
PORSCHE917
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 13


« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: DesW
Hi, Not in our experience-- We have 5 Gitzos --and service parts etc no problemo! Even  outside the US--We are an Aust Company.

contact:

Bogen imaging
Maurizio Bernal
Tel 201 818 9500 Ext 244
Fax 201 818 9177

Des

Likewise, here in the United States I have had a very good experience with Gitzo technical support.  My telephone calls have always been answered immediately, although I have not had a tripod breakdown or failure.  My inquiries concerned recent reports of base plates on the Gitzo systematic tripods falling off, and Gitzo's response to and take on those reports.  Gitzo's technical support personnel in America responded to my telephone calls quickly, candidly and professionally.

Best regards,

Roman
Logged
Fritzer
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 211


« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 11:47:36 AM »
ReplyReply

For what it's worth, I bought a Gitzo Traveller some time ago in the US, and had an issue with one of the legs being slighlty missaligned.

Called Gitzo Germany when I was back home, send the tripod to them and had a new one sent back a couple days later.
Logged
desertmike
Guest
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:51:25 AM »
ReplyReply

[sigh] So this is the reply I finally get from the Gitzo authorised dealer here in the UAE:

..." If the unit is purchased from us then only we can honour the warranty, but the unit is purchased in U.S.A. you have to refer to the country from where you have purchased it."

I followed up some of the advice above and phoned Gitzo / BogenImaging in New Jersey - basically they can't ship it internationally. One very helpful reader suggested I send it to him in Italy - I'll be looking into it!

And for what it's worth, all of the emails I've sent to Gitzo since the first one on 16th August remain, you guessed it, unanswered.
Logged
Thomas Krüger
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 451



WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 04:37:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Hello Mike,

check your PM, I've called Gitzo in Italy.
Logged
donmcmahan.com
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 2


« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »
ReplyReply

so all of the Gitzo fans on various forums around the net that warned all and sundry that they should not buy a Benro (or any thing else really) because they would not get the customer service that they would from Gitzo............
Logged
Slough
Guest
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:26:45 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: donmcmahan.com
so all of the Gitzo fans on various forums around the net that warned all and sundry that they should not buy a Benro (or any thing else really) because they would not get the customer service that they would from Gitzo............

It looks as if Gitzo support is good in large Western countries, but not in smaller ones such as UAE.
Logged
desertmike
Guest
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Slough
It looks as if Gitzo support is good in large Western countries, but not in smaller ones such as UAE.

Well, I'm still waiting....

The UAE rep initially said they wouldn't deal with it because I didn't buy it from them, but yesterday they emailed me for further info so I sent photos of the broken hinge (see attachment);
the Service Supervisor at Bogen Imaging USA said it was covered by the warranty but they can only ship within the USA, the UK service centre told me on the phone that I'd probably have to order the spare part myself from Italy (80 quid not including tax, shipping etc).

AND.... I just got an email from an Italian gentleman (Vitec Group Imaging Support) - asking about the UAE rep's response. Contact from Gitzo?  

So maybe all is not lost. I won't have the tripod for my trip to the south of Oman next week, nothing will happen during the Eid break in this country, ... maybe in time for Christmas?

I'll keep you posted.
Logged
desertmike
Guest
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 02:51:41 AM »
ReplyReply

I've given up. I couriered the tripod to the Gitzo rep in Dubai on Sept 27th and I've heard nothing since. It seems like they have no intention of fixing it so I've asked for it back. Lesson learned: don't buy Gitzo products in the UAE!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad