Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 »   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Schneider is to provide lenses to Phaseone 645  (Read 25555 times)
xinchenc
Guest
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:36:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Schneider is to provide leaf shutter lenses to Phaseone 645DF. Lenses are designed by Schneider, and lens elements will be provided by Schneider. Lenses will be assembled in Japan by Mamiya.
Logged
DesW
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 174


« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: xinchenc
Schneider is to provide leaf shutter lenses to Phaseone 645DF. Lenses are designed by Schneider, and lens elements will be provided by Schneider. Lenses will be assembled in Japan by Mamiya.

Hmmm-- Great news, the Schneiders are near unsurpassed  for accuracy--  but sort of putting a Ferrari engine in a Trabant body unfortunately.

Now if Sinar or Rollei would make a body for Phase-- but fairytales don't come true in reality--sadly

Des
Logged
michele
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 230


« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:25:57 AM »
ReplyReply

Mamiya body is good, solid and confortable!  Where can we find official announcments of the schneider phaseone lenses?
Logged

mcfoto
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 938


WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: xinchenc
Schneider is to provide leaf shutter lenses to Phaseone 645DF. Lenses are designed by Schneider, and lens elements will be provided by Schneider. Lenses will be assembled in Japan by Mamiya.

This does not surprise me as Schneider has to do something since the end of the Hy6. They will do a good job but I hope the price is not too high.
Denis
Logged

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com
photo570
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 153


WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:43:59 AM »
ReplyReply

LOL, too true Des.   :-)

But it is all about the lenses after all, the Leica's look good, hope they don't go the same way as AFI/Hy6, it is good to have options and the Schneiders will add to the appeal of the Phase for some people.

Jason.


Quote from: DesW
Hmmm-- Great news, the Schneiders are near unsurpassed  for accuracy--  but sort of putting a Ferrari engine in a Trabant body unfortunately.

Now if Sinar or Rollei would make a body for Phase-- but fairytales don't come true in reality--sadly

Des
Logged

Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz
michele
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 230


« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 04:03:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Eh eh, they will cost a lot, but i have many reserves about third party lenses... 9 months ago Leica was talking about making their lenses in PhaseOne mounts... The D phase lenses are good, maybe a better 35mm?
Logged

Dick Roadnight
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1730


« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: xinchenc
Schneider is to provide leaf shutter lenses to Phaseone 645DF. Lenses are designed by Schneider, and lens elements will be provided by Schneider. Lenses will be assembled in Japan by Mamiya.
Well... perhaps the Hasselblad HD4-60 will have some competition after all?

Members here tried to "shout me down" when I asked if Mamiya still make awful yellow lenses that make everything look as if it was taken with high speed ektachrome.

Panasonic use Leica lenses... what other Pacific rim camera manufacturers use European lenses?
Logged

Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
ctz
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 179


« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 04:59:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Well... perhaps the Hasselblad HD4-60 will have some competition after all?

Members here tried to "shout me down" when I asked if Mamiya still make awful yellow lenses that make everything look as if it was taken with high speed ektachrome.

Panasonic use Leica lenses... what other Pacific rim camera manufacturers use European lenses?

Well, I don't know if Sony is a "rim camera", but they use some Zeiss lenses and, IIRC, Samsung uses Schneider Kreuznach, too, or at least they put this name on their lenses.
Logged
michele
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 230


« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 05:17:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Well... perhaps the Hasselblad HD4-60 will have some competition after all?

Members here tried to "shout me down" when I asked if Mamiya still make awful yellow lenses that make everything look as if it was taken with high speed ektachrome.

Panasonic use Leica lenses... what other Pacific rim camera manufacturers use European lenses?

Well, sometims you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you...
Logged

Doug Peterson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2838


WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: michele
Mamiya body is good, solid and confortable!  Where can we find official announcments of the schneider phaseone lenses?

Someone has broken a (very short) news embargo. Official news from Phase One's dealer conference will be available soon.

Some very exciting news though.

Doug Peterson
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Leaf, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Logged

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
BJL
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5163


« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 08:52:39 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Panasonic use Leica lenses... what other Pacific rim camera manufacturers use European lenses?
Samsung, with its "Schneider-Krueznach" branded lenses? Kodak (on the other edge of the Pacific), also with some Schneider-Krueznach branding? None of those are truly Schneider-Krueznach designed and made of course. Likewise, Panasonic uses lenses that are made in Japan by an unstated manufacturer and that have some Leica input to QC and perhaps to design; Panasonic has never claimed anything more. The situation is similar with the Sony-Zeiss joint project lenses, AFAIK.

And in the opposite direction, all current medium format AF systems use "Japanese" lenses: Fujinon for the the Hasselblad H system.


Can we please drop this "technological racism", and judge products on their actual demonstrated virtues, not national origin?
Logged
pcunite
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 205


« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 08:56:58 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: BJL
Can we please drop this "technological racism", and judge products on their actual demonstrated virtues, not national origin?

I agree, and will just as soon as Leica stops touting "Made in Germany" and "German Engineering".
Logged
georgl
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 140


« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 09:33:15 AM »
ReplyReply

Entirely different production philosophies, different education systems, different social standards = different quality.

The true rip-off is using a brand name to gain higher profits but not using the standards (not just QC) of the company behind this brand name. The customers pays too much, the company with the brand name damages it's image, only the sharholders are happy...

I don't need a Pnasonic with a red dot, I rather buy a Lumix...

Mechanic quality is crucial to lens-quality, especially centering (correct English-term?) guarantees real-world quality besides theoretical, calculated MTF... Leica and Zeiss use special technologies, machines and skilled workers to centrate their lens-assemblies - and they don't give this know-how away to any of their "partners" (Panasonic, Sony) - it stays in Oberkochen and Solms. I'm sure Schneider-Kreuznach has some delicate know-how, either - I hope for Mamiya that they deliver them complete lens assemblies.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:34:34 AM by georgl » Logged
michael
Administrator
Sr. Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4896



« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 09:53:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Here is the complete text of the Phase One Announcements...

Announcing the PHASE ONE 645DF Medium Format CAMERA

The Perfect Body for your Perfect Back

COPENHAGEN, September 28, 2009 – Phase One, the world’s leader in open-platform medium format camera systems and solutions, today announced the Phase One 645DF camera. Engineered in partnership with Mamiya Digital Imaging for superior quality image capture and ease of handling, it sets a new standard for high flash sync speeds – up to 1/1600 of a second.
 
Also today, Phase One announced the availability of three new high performance leaf shutter lenses, 55mm, 80mm and 110mm, all f/2.8 and all designed with the Phase One 645DF camera in mind. The lenses are a result of close collaboration with Mamiya Digital Imaging and Schneider Kreuznach (see today’s related announcement).
 
“Our patent-pending flash sync breakthrough eases working with wide open apertures and fill-in flash on location,” said Jan H. Christiansen, Phase One marketing director. “We already offer the most flexible exposure times ranging from 1/4000 of a second to one full hour. Setting new performance standards is all about expanding creative options for photographers.”
 
The 645DF camera is the only 645 medium format camera which supports both focal plane and leaf shutters, expanding photographers’ innovative possibilities by leveraging the two shutter technologies seamlessly for world class photography, whether this involves ultra-fast flash sync speeds or extremely flexible exposure times.
 
The new camera introduces many performance improvements over its predecessor. Capture responsiveness and autofocus speed is highly improved giving photographers up to 5 times faster performance in a typical fashion set up.
 
The 645DF also offers a breakthrough workflow improvement -- custom-shooting modes. For the first time in a medium-format camera, photographers can “dial up” a pre-defined mode, where the camera is instantly set up for a given shooting scenario, e.g. product, portrait or landscape photography.
 
Other workflow enhancements include new tactile buttons, a fully sealed eye-cup eliminating ambient light, improved viewfinder masks, and customizable audio feedback e.g. on focus lock. Several custom functions have been enhanced, without compromising simple navigation.
 
Freedom to choose the best back for you

Phase One builds flexible, open photographic systems to support a professional’s style, needs and working preference.  The Phase One 645DF camera supports the world’s finest digital backs, ensuring freedom of choice and investment protection for years to come.  It is compatible with digital backs designed for the Phase One / Mamiya AFD mount, including backs from Phase One, Leaf, Mamiya and others.
 
Pricing and Availability

The Phase One 645DF camera body starts at $5990/€4290 and is expected to ship Q4, 2009. The new leaf shutter lenses start at $2490/€1790 and are expected to start shipping Q4, 2009. All equipment can be ordered now from Phase One and Leaf dealers (for the dealer near you, please see: http://www.phaseone.com/partners and http://www.leaf-photography.com/dealers.asp).
 
About Phase One  

Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.
 
Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.
 
For more information about the products, visit the Phase One web site on www.phaseone.com.
 
Phase One is a registered trademark of Phase One A/S.  All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
 
 
# # #

Schneider Kreuznach, Phase One, Mamiya Digital Imaging

Cooperate to Drive Innovations in Medium Format Digital Lenses

 Expanding Range of Lens Options for Pro Photographers
 
BAD KREUZNACH, Germany, COPENHAGEN and TOKYO, Sept. 28, 2009 — Schneider Kreuznach, Phase One A/S and Mamiya Digital Imaging, Ltd. today announced that they are collaborating on design, development, manufacturing, and delivery of superior quality, precision digital lenses for the medium format camera systems used by the world’s most discriminating professional photographers.
 
“Our vision of offering photographers freedom to choose from what is best in photographic equipment is at the heart of our cooperation with Schneider Kreuznach,” said Henrik Håkonsson, President and CEO of Phase One. “We are committed to sharing expertise in digital imaging technology with the world’s most respected companies to push the limits of excellence for photographers.”
 
“We are pleased to contribute our optical expertise within a very creative group,” said Dr. Josef Staub, Managing Director of Schneider Kreuznach.  “As we pioneer advancements in optical lens design, the photographic market can look forward to new, extraordinary lenses.”
 
“Successful teamwork has already resulted in the world’s most open medium format camera platform,” said Toshio Midorikawa, President of Mamiya Digital Imaging.  “Now we take another step, as we share our manufacturing expertise with Schneider Kreuznach’s optical design talents to benefit the world’s photographers.”
 
The first results of this collaboration are the 55mm, 80mm and 110mm leaf shutter lenses designed for the Phase One 645DF and Mamiya 645DF cameras. The lenses can be ordered now and will start shipping Q4, 2009.
 
About Mamiya Digital Imaging
Mamiya Digital Imaging is the digital successor to the reputable Mamiya brand, an innovative company fresh with enthusiasm and dedicated to continuing a legacy of excellence. Mamiya has consistently been a fore-runner in medium format camera design, and Mamiya lenses, manufactured following a tradition of precision and quality, are celebrated world-wide. For the Professional Photographer, it is the ultimate brand in photographic equipment.
 
Mamiya Digital Imaging is headquartered in Tokyo with two factories in Japan, and has distributors in more than 100 countries.
 
For more information about products, visit the Mamiya homepage on www.mamiya.co.jp
 
 
About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.
 
Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.
 
For more information about the products, visit the Phase One Web site on www.phaseone.com.
 
About the Schneider Group
The Schneider Group specializes in developing and producing high-performance photographic lenses, cinema projection lenses, as well as industrial optics and precision mechanics. The group comprises Jos. Schneider Optische Werke, founded in Bad Kreuznach in 1913, and its subsidiaries Pentacon (Dresden), B+W Filterfabrik (ISCO) (Göttingen ), Schneider-Optics (New York, Los Angeles),
Schneider Bando (Seoul), Schneider Asia Pacific (Hong Kong) and Schneider Optical Technologies (Shenzhen). The company’s main brand is “Schneider-Kreuznach." It has around 640 employees worldwide, with 335 based in its German headquarters. For years now the group has been a world market leader in the area of high-performance lenses.
 
Phase One is a registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. Mamiya is a registered trademark of Mamiya Digital Imaging Co., Ltd. Schneider-Kreuznach is a registered trademark of Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH.
Logged
TMARK
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1843


« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
ReplyReply

They listened.  Has anyone seen, or more importantl used the camera?  If they managed to rid the camera of shutter lag, the AF is improved, this could be the real deal.  



Quote from: michael
Here is the complete text of the Phase One Announcements...

Announcing the PHASE ONE 645DF Medium Format CAMERA

The Perfect Body for your Perfect Back

COPENHAGEN, September 28, 2009 – Phase One, the world’s leader in open-platform medium format camera systems and solutions, today announced the Phase One 645DF camera. Engineered in partnership with Mamiya Digital Imaging for superior quality image capture and ease of handling, it sets a new standard for high flash sync speeds – up to 1/1600 of a second.
 
Also today, Phase One announced the availability of three new high performance leaf shutter lenses, 55mm, 80mm and 110mm, all f/2.8 and all designed with the Phase One 645DF camera in mind. The lenses are a result of close collaboration with Mamiya Digital Imaging and Schneider Kreuznach (see today’s related announcement).
 
“Our patent-pending flash sync breakthrough eases working with wide open apertures and fill-in flash on location,” said Jan H. Christiansen, Phase One marketing director. “We already offer the most flexible exposure times ranging from 1/4000 of a second to one full hour. Setting new performance standards is all about expanding creative options for photographers.”
 
The 645DF camera is the only 645 medium format camera which supports both focal plane and leaf shutters, expanding photographers’ innovative possibilities by leveraging the two shutter technologies seamlessly for world class photography, whether this involves ultra-fast flash sync speeds or extremely flexible exposure times.
 
The new camera introduces many performance improvements over its predecessor. Capture responsiveness and autofocus speed is highly improved giving photographers up to 5 times faster performance in a typical fashion set up.
 
The 645DF also offers a breakthrough workflow improvement -- custom-shooting modes. For the first time in a medium-format camera, photographers can “dial up” a pre-defined mode, where the camera is instantly set up for a given shooting scenario, e.g. product, portrait or landscape photography.
 
Other workflow enhancements include new tactile buttons, a fully sealed eye-cup eliminating ambient light, improved viewfinder masks, and customizable audio feedback e.g. on focus lock. Several custom functions have been enhanced, without compromising simple navigation.
 
Freedom to choose the best back for you

Phase One builds flexible, open photographic systems to support a professional’s style, needs and working preference.  The Phase One 645DF camera supports the world’s finest digital backs, ensuring freedom of choice and investment protection for years to come.  It is compatible with digital backs designed for the Phase One / Mamiya AFD mount, including backs from Phase One, Leaf, Mamiya and others.
 
Pricing and Availability

The Phase One 645DF camera body starts at $5990/€4290 and is expected to ship Q4, 2009. The new leaf shutter lenses start at $2490/€1790 and are expected to start shipping Q4, 2009. All equipment can be ordered now from Phase One and Leaf dealers (for the dealer near you, please see: http://www.phaseone.com/partners and http://www.leaf-photography.com/dealers.asp).
 
About Phase One  

Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.
 
Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.
 
For more information about the products, visit the Phase One web site on www.phaseone.com.
 
Phase One is a registered trademark of Phase One A/S.  All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
 
 
# # #

Schneider Kreuznach, Phase One, Mamiya Digital Imaging

Cooperate to Drive Innovations in Medium Format Digital Lenses

 Expanding Range of Lens Options for Pro Photographers
 
BAD KREUZNACH, Germany, COPENHAGEN and TOKYO, Sept. 28, 2009 — Schneider Kreuznach, Phase One A/S and Mamiya Digital Imaging, Ltd. today announced that they are collaborating on design, development, manufacturing, and delivery of superior quality, precision digital lenses for the medium format camera systems used by the world’s most discriminating professional photographers.
 
“Our vision of offering photographers freedom to choose from what is best in photographic equipment is at the heart of our cooperation with Schneider Kreuznach,” said Henrik Håkonsson, President and CEO of Phase One. “We are committed to sharing expertise in digital imaging technology with the world’s most respected companies to push the limits of excellence for photographers.”
 
“We are pleased to contribute our optical expertise within a very creative group,” said Dr. Josef Staub, Managing Director of Schneider Kreuznach.  “As we pioneer advancements in optical lens design, the photographic market can look forward to new, extraordinary lenses.”
 
“Successful teamwork has already resulted in the world’s most open medium format camera platform,” said Toshio Midorikawa, President of Mamiya Digital Imaging.  “Now we take another step, as we share our manufacturing expertise with Schneider Kreuznach’s optical design talents to benefit the world’s photographers.”
 
The first results of this collaboration are the 55mm, 80mm and 110mm leaf shutter lenses designed for the Phase One 645DF and Mamiya 645DF cameras. The lenses can be ordered now and will start shipping Q4, 2009.
 
About Mamiya Digital Imaging
Mamiya Digital Imaging is the digital successor to the reputable Mamiya brand, an innovative company fresh with enthusiasm and dedicated to continuing a legacy of excellence. Mamiya has consistently been a fore-runner in medium format camera design, and Mamiya lenses, manufactured following a tradition of precision and quality, are celebrated world-wide. For the Professional Photographer, it is the ultimate brand in photographic equipment.
 
Mamiya Digital Imaging is headquartered in Tokyo with two factories in Japan, and has distributors in more than 100 countries.
 
For more information about products, visit the Mamiya homepage on www.mamiya.co.jp
 
 
About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.
 
Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.
 
For more information about the products, visit the Phase One Web site on www.phaseone.com.
 
About the Schneider Group
The Schneider Group specializes in developing and producing high-performance photographic lenses, cinema projection lenses, as well as industrial optics and precision mechanics. The group comprises Jos. Schneider Optische Werke, founded in Bad Kreuznach in 1913, and its subsidiaries Pentacon (Dresden), B+W Filterfabrik (ISCO) (Göttingen ), Schneider-Optics (New York, Los Angeles),
Schneider Bando (Seoul), Schneider Asia Pacific (Hong Kong) and Schneider Optical Technologies (Shenzhen). The company’s main brand is “Schneider-Kreuznach." It has around 640 employees worldwide, with 335 based in its German headquarters. For years now the group has been a world market leader in the area of high-performance lenses.
 
Phase One is a registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. Mamiya is a registered trademark of Mamiya Digital Imaging Co., Ltd. Schneider-Kreuznach is a registered trademark of Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH.
Logged
Doug Peterson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2838


WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Dave Gallagher, Owner of Capture Integration went to Denmark to get hands on time with the body and new lenses.

He will be happy to take any and all questions - the only catch is he is still in his return journey and so may take a day or two (which in internet-time is decades!) :-).

So anyway, if you have specific questions please put them here and if no one else chimes in to answer, then Dave or I will.

Doug Peterson
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Leaf, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Logged

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
evonzz
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 79


« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: TMARK
They listened.  Has anyone seen, or more importantl used the camera?  If they managed to rid the camera of shutter lag, the AF is improved, this could be the real deal.

TMARK, what shutter lag are you talking about?  As a potential buyer, this is one issue i have not heard of. please explain your experience here.

thanks
RE
Logged

www.centralstudios.cn
- a large shooting space in Central Shanghai

Phase One P40+/P65+/IQ180
and lots of other stuff
TMARK
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1843


« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: evonzz
TMARK, what shutter lag are you talking about?  As a potential buyer, this is one issue i have not heard of. please explain your experience here.

thanks
RE

With the Mamiya AFd and AFdII there was this, to me, awful lag between pressing the shutter and an exposure being made.  I believe that this lag is due to the Mamiya digital interface, which dates to what, 2002?  I think its the interface because there is no real lag when shooting film, and there is much less lag when shooting the same brand/model back on an H1 or H2.

I have no experience with the AFD3, although I am told the lag is better, but not great.  My perception is that the AFd3 was ready to go in 2005 but due to Mamiya's money problems was not introduced until Phase could inject some capital.  I always thought that if the AFd gets a complete modern redesign, they will fix these problems.  I hope they have, because what drove me from owning MFDB, aside from a change in my business, was that the cameras are all compromises.  The H1, H2 had some problems, and were over priced.  The H3 was nice, but I didn't want a Blad back.  The AFi/HY6 was a non starter because I didn't know of anyone who had seen one first hand and they weren't in wide circulation through rentals.  The AFd, which I had, was great with film, and great with a back if shutter lag wasn't an issue, but it really made me angry on more than a few occasions, mainly shooting portraits and fashion.  What works best for me, right now anyway, is an H mount Aptus 54s on an RZ.  It works sort of like it did with film, except for the crop.  This new Phase camera might really be the answer, a camera designed for digital, not a reworked legacy film camera.
Logged
Doug Peterson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2838


WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 11:15:02 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: evonzz
TMARK, what shutter lag are you talking about?  As a potential buyer, this is one issue i have not heard of. please explain your experience here.

Shutter lag is the time between pushing the shutter release and the picture actually being taken.
  - The AFD1/2 had a shutter lag long enough to bake cookies.
  - The Phase One 645 AF (AFD3) with early firmware had modest shutter lag.
  - The Phase One 645 AFD3 with the current firmware has very little shutter lag.

Dave had hands on experience with the Phase One 645DF and will be reporting his hands-on results when he is back from DK. All expectations are that shutter lag can now be referred to as a quaint part of the history of this system, but I will wait for his hands on report to be sure.

Doug Peterson
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Leaf, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:16:23 AM by dougpetersonci » Logged

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
Doug Peterson
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2838


WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Quick comparison of the full shutter speed range of the P1DF, H2D/H3D/H4D, and S2 with the flash-sync-capable speeds in red.



Obviously the vast vast majority of shooting gets down in the 1 second to 1/500th range. It's nice to know your system is not going to limit your creativity though for those situations where especially fast shutter speeds, especially long exposures, or high-speed-sync is required.

Also a quick word to those who have never shot a leaf shutter lens. The "high-speed sync mode" offered by Canon/Nikon through their flash systems is no where close to the flexibility of a true leaf shutter lens (though they are obviously great and very welcome options within the constraints of a focal plane shutter system). The high speed flash sync of a leaf shutter lens (such as those being offered within the Phase One system) can be used at full flash power with most any flash system.

The dotted line for the Phase system between 1 and 4 hours is because the longest exposure is not a hard limit, but rather determined by the ambient temperature. 11 hour exposures are possible at -11C. Full Chart.

Doug Peterson
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Leaf, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:55:34 AM by dougpetersonci » Logged

DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 »   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad