Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Standard Sizes  (Read 1275 times)
michelson

« on: October 11, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »
ReplyReply

I have a printer that can do 13x19 borderless as it's maximum, and am working out the final hurdles in production before really offering any prints. Note in advance that I anticipate selling prints to the budget conscious, and am not looking to outsource my printing to obtain larger formats.

Over the last few days I've been leaning more towards borders instead of borderless printing. The advantages of long term durability, and the ease of mounting lead me to believe this is the way to go. Am I correct in gathering that borders are the norm for prints?

In regards to the size, the maximum standard size I can fit is 11x14, which has a lot to be desired as far as it's aspect ratio is concerned. My camera produces a w/h ratio of 1.46, close to 13x19's 1.49. In contrast, 11x14's ratio is 1.27 which crops a significant chunk off the long edge of an image.

The question here is this: Are non standard size prints such a bad practice? Considering the budget conscious buyer, who most likely will go with a pre-manufactured frame and matte, should I stick them with the extra burden? Or, should I crop the image the way it should be, and print it fit it within an 11x14 area (so say, the actual image would be 9.5x14), even though the image's actual aspect ratio doesn't fit the available frames and matting? Or is it the norm to give in to the standard sizes?

I am unaware of what the norm is, in regards to this.

Thanks!
JeffKohn

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »
ReplyReply

I'm not sure there really is a 'norm'. Some people crop to standard print sizes, but depending on how you compose and shoot this could hurt the quality of your images. For 13x19" paper, a 12x18" print size works well, leaving you a little bit of border around the print. These can be matted and placed in 18x24" frames which are standard (although not as common as some other sizes).

Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad