Ad
Ad
Ad
Pages: [1]   Bottom of Page
Print
Author Topic: Epson 3880 and ICC Color Profiles  (Read 8356 times)
CoyoteButtes
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 71


« on: October 25, 2009, 05:54:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Am reviewing the Epson manual for the 3880 after setting it up, and the color profiles are a bit mysterious. The manual says, "...When you install the Epson printer driver [done], the included profiles are automatically copied to the correct folder." They don't bother to tell you what the correct folder is. And I don't seem to be able to locate any obvious 3880 ICC profiles in the usual suspect folders such as Library>Color Sync>Profiles.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Stan
Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 294


WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: CoyoteButtes
Am reviewing the Epson manual for the 3880 after setting it up, and the color profiles are a bit mysterious. The manual says, "...When you install the Epson printer driver [done], the included profiles are automatically copied to the correct folder." They don't bother to tell you what the correct folder is. And I don't seem to be able to locate any obvious 3880 ICC profiles in the usual suspect folders such as Library>Color Sync>Profiles.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Stan

I have an Epson 3880 on order and should have it by Monday or Tuesday of this week.
Also interested in the ICC profiles. Will be installing on a Macbook Pro so I will see how it goes when I receive the printer.

Stu
Logged
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2859



WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:26:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: CoyoteButtes
Am reviewing the Epson manual for the 3880 after setting it up, and the color profiles are a bit mysterious. The manual says, "...When you install the Epson printer driver [done], the included profiles are automatically copied to the correct folder." They don't bother to tell you what the correct folder is. And I don't seem to be able to locate any obvious 3880 ICC profiles in the usual suspect folders such as Library>Color Sync>Profiles.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Stan

Epson packages their profiles into a single packages.  They can be found in

HardDrve:Library:Printers:EPSON:InkjetPrinter:ICCProfiles:

Each printer is a package. You can right click on any package and seleclt Show contents where you can access the profiles directly.
Logged

StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 294


WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:58:50 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Epson packages their profiles into a single packages.  They can be found in

HardDrve:Library:Printers:EPSON:InkjetPrinter:ICCProfiles:

Each printer is a package. You can right click on any package and seleclt Show contents where you can access the profiles directly.

Do you have any ideal if the profile for Epson 3800 ILFORD GALERIE GOLD FIBRE SILK (from Ilford) will work on the 3880?
Or will Ilford have to provide a new profile for the 3880?
Logged
madmanchan
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2108


« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »
ReplyReply

The paper will work fine, but yes, you will need a new profile. Profiles for the 3800 generally will not work well on the 3880, and vice versa, because of ink, head design, and driver differences.
Logged

StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 294


WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: madmanchan
The paper will work fine, but yes, you will need a new profile. Profiles for the 3800 generally will not work well on the 3880, and vice versa, because of ink, head design, and driver differences.

I sort of figured that would be the case. Hopefully Ilford will post new ICC Profiles soon for the Epson 3880.
Logged
Alan Goldhammer
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1663


WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: madmanchan
The paper will work fine, but yes, you will need a new profile. Profiles for the 3800 generally will not work well on the 3880, and vice versa, because of ink, head design, and driver differences.
Looks like new ABW profiles will be in my future as I plan to upgrade soon from the 2880!!!
Logged

CoyoteButtes
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 71


« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
ReplyReply

Wayne...and all,

Ok, thanks. Got it. Now I can see exactly what profiles are installed. The next question becomes precisely where I should install additional profiles that I might want to install. If I purchase paper from Red River Paper, for example, they will provide an icc profile for that paper and the 3880. Exactly which folder should that profile reside in. Or will an installer take care of that?

Sure glad we have this forum (thanks, Michael). Epson's manual is partially in Greek.

Stan
Logged
Wayne Fox
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2859



WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:48:34 AM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: CoyoteButtes
Wayne...and all,

Ok, thanks. Got it. Now I can see exactly what profiles are installed. The next question becomes precisely where I should install additional profiles that I might want to install. If I purchase paper from Red River Paper, for example, they will provide an icc profile for that paper and the 3880. Exactly which folder should that profile reside in. Or will an installer take care of that?

Sure glad we have this forum (thanks, Michael). Epson's manual is partially in Greek.

Stan

For third party papers I recommend just putting them in the standard location, HardDrive:Library:ColorSync:Profiles:

I wouldn't put them into the Epson package, because if you install a driver update, this may replace the profile package and your 3rd party profiles are gone.
Logged

Scott12
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1


« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:52:46 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: StuartOnline
I sort of figured that would be the case. Hopefully Ilford will post new ICC Profiles soon for the Epson 3880.
Ilford technical support advised me to use their 4880 drivers for the 3880. Regards, Scott
Logged
CoyoteButtes
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 71


« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Wayne.

Stan
Logged
StuartOnline
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 294


WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Quote from: Scott12
Ilford technical support advised me to use their 4880 drivers for the 3880. Regards, Scott

Thanks!  Will give that a try once I receive the printer.
Was suppose to arrive today, however was delayed until in the morning.
Logged
erick.boileau
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 469


WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 11:26:33 AM »
ReplyReply

I got that email  from Hahnemühle  with attached file , no answer from Ilford and Innova

Quote
Hi Erick,

at the moment we have no 3880 but we hope to get one soon.
You could send us the atteched chart printed without colour management and we will do the profiling for you.




How to print the target file

Open the image with Photoshop, don't convert it to another color space!
In the print menu please disable the colormanagement.


Set up the print driver as followed for a glossy paper:

Media type: Premium Luster Photo Paper
Quality: highest
Color management: OFF
Ink to use: Photo black


Set up the print driver as followed for a matte paper:

Media type: Velvet FineArt Paper
Quality: highest
Color management: OFF
Ink to use: Matte black




Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Stefan Neumann
- Manager Technical Support -

Hahnemühle FineArt
Hahnestr. 5
37586 Dassel

Tel.: +(49) 5561 - 791-339
Fax: +(49) 5561 - 791-377
E-Mail: Stefan_Neumann@hahnemuehle.de
www.hahnemuehle.de
-----------------------------------
Registergericht: Göttingen
Registernummer: HRB 130557
Rechtsform: GmbH
Sitz: Dassel
Geschäftsführer: Jörg Adomat, Friedrich Nebel
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:41:31 AM by erick.boileau » Logged
PECourtejoie
Newbie
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 18


« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 06:57:20 AM »
ReplyReply

Erick, do read this tutorial before you proceed with the instructions you received: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/solving.shtml
and please edit your post so that Mr Neumann does not receive spam!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:58:19 AM by PECourtejoie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Top of Page
Print
Jump to:  

Ad
Ad
Ad